friday movies: star wars, darth vader and the inappropriate cellphone user

this week’s edition of friday [brain dead] movies is inspired by the obvious.  while many will applaud the cinematic genius of the lord of the rings trilogy [and rightfully so], my life is marked by another trilogy – STAR WARS.  i am part of the star wars generation.  most folks know that i’m a big fan of star wars which is the reason why our son is named “Jedi.” in honor of star wars fan fest currently taking place in los angeles and the 30th year anniversary of the original film’s theatrical release, this is a great video of darth vader and a friendly reminder to turn off your cellphone in public places but especially at church!

it’s shocking to think that 30 years have passed by but i specifically remember 30 years ago as i immigrated to this country in 1977 – 30 years ago.  months later, my brothers and i went to coronet theater on geary street in san francisco and was mesmerized by the film.  people literally camped out for weeks to watch the release of stars wars at that theater.  supposedly, coronet theater was one of george lucas’ favorite theaters.  this past year, i drove by the theater during our visit and noticed that the theater is no more; it is now being replaced by a seniors’ care home.

i digress.  never mind we didn’t really understand the dialogue and content of the movie but wow.  at the age of six, i couldn’t distinguish the difference between “real” and “make believe” and was devastated for weeks that i didn’t possess “the force.”

Relevant Reads:

Filed under: culture

1. worshipguitarist says:

So, you’re a big enough Star Wars geek to name your son Jedi, but not quite big enough to spell Darth Vader correctly?

2. e cho says:

oops, i guess i’m not that big of a fan. went ahead and corrected it. thanks.

3. Blake says:

Haha. That’s amazing! Yeah, I too remember being fascinated by Star Wars and spending hours and hours trying to figure out how they did the special effects for the lasers coming from the blasters. I eventually settled on them being high velocity strings of colored Play Doh. It was the only thing that made sense. I still haven’t figured out the light sabers; Play Doh is too soft… hmmm… I wonder if they just dry it out…

4. Reyes-Chow says:

FYI: The Coronet – great place for a flick – will soon be demolished to be replaced by a UCSF Senior Care facility.

5. Todd says:

so, how old are you anyways?!

6. mike says:

wow, I love your style of ministry. Even though the greater Seattle area is very cutting edge, the church is way behind the times. The thoughts that are coming out of your ministry are awesome. Mike, pastor of Oasis Seattle Church

Junior high - Check
14th birthday - Check
Tallest in family - Check
Selfie Master - Check

Still my baby son! This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism.