friday movies: star wars, darth vader and the inappropriate cellphone user

this week’s edition of friday [brain dead] movies is inspired by the obvious.  while many will applaud the cinematic genius of the lord of the rings trilogy [and rightfully so], my life is marked by another trilogy – STAR WARS.  i am part of the star wars generation.  most folks know that i’m a big fan of star wars which is the reason why our son is named “Jedi.” in honor of star wars fan fest currently taking place in los angeles and the 30th year anniversary of the original film’s theatrical release, this is a great video of darth vader and a friendly reminder to turn off your cellphone in public places but especially at church!

it’s shocking to think that 30 years have passed by but i specifically remember 30 years ago as i immigrated to this country in 1977 – 30 years ago.  months later, my brothers and i went to coronet theater on geary street in san francisco and was mesmerized by the film.  people literally camped out for weeks to watch the release of stars wars at that theater.  supposedly, coronet theater was one of george lucas’ favorite theaters.  this past year, i drove by the theater during our visit and noticed that the theater is no more; it is now being replaced by a seniors’ care home.

i digress.  never mind we didn’t really understand the dialogue and content of the movie but wow.  at the age of six, i couldn’t distinguish the difference between “real” and “make believe” and was devastated for weeks that i didn’t possess “the force.”

Relevant Reads:

Filed under: culture

1. worshipguitarist says:

So, you’re a big enough Star Wars geek to name your son Jedi, but not quite big enough to spell Darth Vader correctly?

2. e cho says:

oops, i guess i’m not that big of a fan. went ahead and corrected it. thanks.

3. Blake says:

Haha. That’s amazing! Yeah, I too remember being fascinated by Star Wars and spending hours and hours trying to figure out how they did the special effects for the lasers coming from the blasters. I eventually settled on them being high velocity strings of colored Play Doh. It was the only thing that made sense. I still haven’t figured out the light sabers; Play Doh is too soft… hmmm… I wonder if they just dry it out…

4. Reyes-Chow says:

FYI: The Coronet – great place for a flick – will soon be demolished to be replaced by a UCSF Senior Care facility.

5. Todd says:

so, how old are you anyways?!

6. mike says:

wow, I love your style of ministry. Even though the greater Seattle area is very cutting edge, the church is way behind the times. The thoughts that are coming out of your ministry are awesome. Mike, pastor of Oasis Seattle Church

Morning walk with the queen. In pursuit of 10,001 steps. #SelfCare #TryingToGetFit #CantFitInMyClothes F A M I L Y. So grateful to be creating memories.

Confession time: I sucked in my belly like it's the end of the world because of the full solar eclipse and then stopped breathing until this photo was taken. Which is probably why my wife looks like she's punching me on the side. But...mission accomplished. #OldManTricks These are crazy, turbulent times. Fight the good fight. Run the race set before us.

But we also need you for the long haul. Don't burn out. Discipleship and justice work is a marathon. Learn to take care of yourself. Don't play the victim. It's far too tempting to blame others. Be rooted in prayer, Scripture, and community. It's okay to pause, critical to rest and retreat, and godly to practice Sabbath.

#NoteToSelf Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical.