friday movies: star wars, darth vader and the inappropriate cellphone user

this week’s edition of friday [brain dead] movies is inspired by the obvious.  while many will applaud the cinematic genius of the lord of the rings trilogy [and rightfully so], my life is marked by another trilogy – STAR WARS.  i am part of the star wars generation.  most folks know that i’m a big fan of star wars which is the reason why our son is named “Jedi.” in honor of star wars fan fest currently taking place in los angeles and the 30th year anniversary of the original film’s theatrical release, this is a great video of darth vader and a friendly reminder to turn off your cellphone in public places but especially at church!

it’s shocking to think that 30 years have passed by but i specifically remember 30 years ago as i immigrated to this country in 1977 – 30 years ago.  months later, my brothers and i went to coronet theater on geary street in san francisco and was mesmerized by the film.  people literally camped out for weeks to watch the release of stars wars at that theater.  supposedly, coronet theater was one of george lucas’ favorite theaters.  this past year, i drove by the theater during our visit and noticed that the theater is no more; it is now being replaced by a seniors’ care home.

i digress.  never mind we didn’t really understand the dialogue and content of the movie but wow.  at the age of six, i couldn’t distinguish the difference between “real” and “make believe” and was devastated for weeks that i didn’t possess “the force.”

Relevant Reads:

Filed under: culture

1. worshipguitarist says:

So, you’re a big enough Star Wars geek to name your son Jedi, but not quite big enough to spell Darth Vader correctly?

2. e cho says:

oops, i guess i’m not that big of a fan. went ahead and corrected it. thanks.

3. Blake says:

Haha. That’s amazing! Yeah, I too remember being fascinated by Star Wars and spending hours and hours trying to figure out how they did the special effects for the lasers coming from the blasters. I eventually settled on them being high velocity strings of colored Play Doh. It was the only thing that made sense. I still haven’t figured out the light sabers; Play Doh is too soft… hmmm… I wonder if they just dry it out…

4. Reyes-Chow says:

FYI: The Coronet – great place for a flick – will soon be demolished to be replaced by a UCSF Senior Care facility.

5. Todd says:

so, how old are you anyways?!

6. mike says:

wow, I love your style of ministry. Even though the greater Seattle area is very cutting edge, the church is way behind the times. The thoughts that are coming out of your ministry are awesome. Mike, pastor of Oasis Seattle Church

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Ok. I'm convinced. I'm moving to  New Zealand, buy land, raise sheep, and play rugby. This place is beautiful. I see you, Auckland. It's great to meet you for the first time. Eager to learn from local practitioners, encourage local pastors, teach from the Scriptures, and collaborate with other Kingdom folks. #newzealand Paying respects. Learning the stories of the First Peoples of Australia at the exhibit at Melbourne Museum.  So painful and tragic what many have endured through the injustice of colonization here and around the world. Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...not many understand the messy and arduous work involved of learning others' stories, truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, healing, and peacemaking. It may feel like a ritual but it was good to participate in this: The Justice Conference acknowledges the traditional owners on the land on which we meet – the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation. We pay our respects to all Wurundjeri elders past and present. #JusticeConfAu Whoa. Beautiful. Mesmerizing. Also reminded that while buildings are nice and have their place, the building isn't the church Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're the ones fleeing away from violence, war, and terrorism.
Afraid? Me too. It's ok to acknowledge we're afraid since it confirms we're all...just...human. We're all afraid on some level especially when our culture seems to run on the currency of fear but as we live out our faith in Christ and more deeply embody compassion and love, fear begins to dissipate. It's also incredibly critical to know that agencies are implementing some of the most rigorous and thorough vetting ever.
My family hosted a Somalian Muslim family from a refugee camp years ago through @WorldRelief. It was eye opening, challenging (especially with language realities), and yet, encouraging...and we hope to host families again in the future as they resettle in a completely new and foreign city and country. It's a terrifying experience. And while not a refugee, I remember the first few months as an immigrant when I was six years old. To this day, I remember the kindness of folks that helped us through that transition. Lift a prayer for me as I'm privileged to collaborate in ministry here in Melbourne, Australia. Meeting with local pastors, teaching at the Justice Conference (10/21-22). Then, preaching at the Bridge Church on Sunday  Pray that in preaching the whole Gospel from the Scriptures, I may honor God, point people to Jesus, and be sensitive to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.