blazers, sonics, and the nba draft

I’m sorry.  I have to indulge myself every now and then on what’s fairly a quasi “I take myself too seriously” blog.  I do have other interests like sports.  Enjoyment of sports is a nice way of saying I’m “a recovering sports addict.”  I couldn’t even hack playing Division II sports  so I have to indulge in pummelling people in fantasy sports or crushing [attempting] other Questers in basketball.  I even tried to dominate a basketball night of fathers from my daughter’s school about three years ago.  That domination led to a ruptured Achilles.

After being a fair weather Seattle Supersonics fan all year – and not caring if they’re going to move or not, I [along with probably many others] suddenly got very interested again.  In a change of fortunes, the Sonics nabbed the #2 pick in the upcoming NBA draft.  Even more incredible, the Portland Blazers got the #1 pick which = Greg Oden.  Suddenly, the Portland Blazers will be an automatic playoff team – even in the Western Conference.  Imagine a lineup of Brandon Roy, Zach Randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, and for now, Jarret Jack.  The curse of selecting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan is finally over for Portland.  Look for them to sign Chauncey Billups and they’ll compete with anyone.

But, I digress…this post is about the Supersonics. It’s obvious that they’re going to pick freshman sensation Kevin Durant.  So, here’s my suggestions as a wanna be GM for the Sonics…

• Ray Allen can still play.  He still has 3 great years left.  Keep him and the sweetest shooting stroke.
  • Luke Ridnour is a good guard.  Nowhere close to Nash but very serviceable.  Keep him and let him run which is where he thrives.  We need to let this team run like never before and hope he’s working on his jumper right now as you read this blog.
  • Kevin Durant at small forward.  He’ll start instantaneously and will win Rookie of the Year.  While it would be nice to re-sign Rashard Lewis, we can’t afford to keep him. And we need to trade someone valuable to get value in return in a sign-and-trade.
  • Chris Wilcox/Nick Collison at the PF positions.  Both of these guys understand their roles and can play Center when they do the Phoenix imitation.  If Wilcox leaves via free agency, we’re good with Collison.
  • All of our centers are busts.  The previous GMs should be fired.  Swift?  Sene?  Petro?  Where’s McIlvaine [sp?] when you need him!  Actually, they did fire their GM and are looking for a new GM.  Please contact me.
  • We can trade Rashard Lewis in a sign and trade [plus one of our 37 centers] and consider some of the possible free agents on the open market:
  • Chauncey Billups [Detroit] – smooth.
  • Darko Milicic [Orlando] – Yes, that Darko!  He’s a diamond in the rough in my opinion.  Excellent shot blocker.
  • We can even consider lesser free agent folks like Alonzo Mourning and Jamaal Magloire.
  • A trade I’d love to see take place is Lewis and Swift for Tyson Chandler but it’ll be very unlikely that Charlotte will let him go.

Alright sports fan:  Let me hear your suggestions.

Filed under: seattle, sports

1. Andy says:

Ok – here’s the dream scenario.

Sonics move and become the Oklahoma City, or is it Kansas City, oh wait – Las Vegas Supersonics! In my opinion, good riddance.

Now, let’s bring back our favorite owner Paul Allen. He’s been itching to get out of Portland. Think about it – the Seattle Trailblazers! Bring back Roy, McMillan, Webster. The local boys all back in town again. Tuck in a little Aldridge and Oden. Dude, it’s the ’79 Sonics all over again!

2. e cho says:

Andy, I have heard that theory. It was only a year ago when Allen wanted to sell the Blazers. Interesting. The Seahawks and Seattle Trailblazers dominating their respective sports. I like it.

3. derek says:

It’s clear that Luke Ridnour just can’t play the point in the NBA. He’s too inconsistent and I would personally prefer Earl Watson. Better yet, we need to be in the market for a new point guard.

4. Pat says:

I havne’t been excited about the Sonics since Shawn Kemp was in his prime, and Shannon and I went to 15+ games per year. Last night’s news about Durant (or… Oden? c’mon, Portland, make the unwise draft choice!) thrilled me.

I think there’s hope for Swift. He won’t be a star, but he’ll be a solid center. It’d be eaisier to upgrade the 1 or the 4 with a sign n trade, or else play Rashard at 4 and run and gun. Yeah, that won’t win you an NBA finals – you need slowdown pick n roll to do that, but it’s a heck of a lot better than where we are now.

Where can I buy a Durant Sonics jersey (he says, not jokingly)? 🙂

5. yglin says:

Being the avid Blazer fan myself. I went to all 3 Blazer games in Seattle (including preseason!) this past season. I gave a hearty yell after they won the draft lottery, called my brother and couldn’t stop saying OMG.

Sorry Sonic fans, the Blazers are staying in Portland and they’re going to be a dynasty. The bandwagon is always open though.

6. Joseon_Illin says:

I hate to be the party pooper, but remember what happened to Shaquille and Alonzo? I have a feeling both Oden and Durant won’t stay long in either city…

Sincerely,
    Jealous Knicks fan

7. e cho says:

Joseon, don’t be jealous. you have Jerome James! 🙂

Pat: I like Swift as well but I just don’t think he’ll ever get angry enough to be more than a backup center. We need ferocious defense, shotblocking, and attitude.

8. Pat says:

Sure, Eugene, but how many guys like that exist in the NBA? Two or three? I mean, it’d be great to have that in your center, but I wonder if the league has moved away from the need to have a true center with the faster pace and 3 pt line changes.

(I wonder if Beauty and Depravity is really a tagline for the Sonics…)

9. e cho says:

pat: you know, i think i’d rather have mikki moore [former sonics player] than swift. i really think darko milicic can have a future with the sonics if we go that route.

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working