blazers, sonics, and the nba draft

I’m sorry.  I have to indulge myself every now and then on what’s fairly a quasi “I take myself too seriously” blog.  I do have other interests like sports.  Enjoyment of sports is a nice way of saying I’m “a recovering sports addict.”  I couldn’t even hack playing Division II sports  so I have to indulge in pummelling people in fantasy sports or crushing [attempting] other Questers in basketball.  I even tried to dominate a basketball night of fathers from my daughter’s school about three years ago.  That domination led to a ruptured Achilles.

After being a fair weather Seattle Supersonics fan all year – and not caring if they’re going to move or not, I [along with probably many others] suddenly got very interested again.  In a change of fortunes, the Sonics nabbed the #2 pick in the upcoming NBA draft.  Even more incredible, the Portland Blazers got the #1 pick which = Greg Oden.  Suddenly, the Portland Blazers will be an automatic playoff team – even in the Western Conference.  Imagine a lineup of Brandon Roy, Zach Randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, and for now, Jarret Jack.  The curse of selecting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan is finally over for Portland.  Look for them to sign Chauncey Billups and they’ll compete with anyone.

But, I digress…this post is about the Supersonics. It’s obvious that they’re going to pick freshman sensation Kevin Durant.  So, here’s my suggestions as a wanna be GM for the Sonics…

• Ray Allen can still play.  He still has 3 great years left.  Keep him and the sweetest shooting stroke.
  • Luke Ridnour is a good guard.  Nowhere close to Nash but very serviceable.  Keep him and let him run which is where he thrives.  We need to let this team run like never before and hope he’s working on his jumper right now as you read this blog.
  • Kevin Durant at small forward.  He’ll start instantaneously and will win Rookie of the Year.  While it would be nice to re-sign Rashard Lewis, we can’t afford to keep him. And we need to trade someone valuable to get value in return in a sign-and-trade.
  • Chris Wilcox/Nick Collison at the PF positions.  Both of these guys understand their roles and can play Center when they do the Phoenix imitation.  If Wilcox leaves via free agency, we’re good with Collison.
  • All of our centers are busts.  The previous GMs should be fired.  Swift?  Sene?  Petro?  Where’s McIlvaine [sp?] when you need him!  Actually, they did fire their GM and are looking for a new GM.  Please contact me.
  • We can trade Rashard Lewis in a sign and trade [plus one of our 37 centers] and consider some of the possible free agents on the open market:
  • Chauncey Billups [Detroit] – smooth.
  • Darko Milicic [Orlando] – Yes, that Darko!  He’s a diamond in the rough in my opinion.  Excellent shot blocker.
  • We can even consider lesser free agent folks like Alonzo Mourning and Jamaal Magloire.
  • A trade I’d love to see take place is Lewis and Swift for Tyson Chandler but it’ll be very unlikely that Charlotte will let him go.

Alright sports fan:  Let me hear your suggestions.

Filed under: seattle, sports

1. Andy says:

Ok – here’s the dream scenario.

Sonics move and become the Oklahoma City, or is it Kansas City, oh wait – Las Vegas Supersonics! In my opinion, good riddance.

Now, let’s bring back our favorite owner Paul Allen. He’s been itching to get out of Portland. Think about it – the Seattle Trailblazers! Bring back Roy, McMillan, Webster. The local boys all back in town again. Tuck in a little Aldridge and Oden. Dude, it’s the ’79 Sonics all over again!

2. e cho says:

Andy, I have heard that theory. It was only a year ago when Allen wanted to sell the Blazers. Interesting. The Seahawks and Seattle Trailblazers dominating their respective sports. I like it.

3. derek says:

It’s clear that Luke Ridnour just can’t play the point in the NBA. He’s too inconsistent and I would personally prefer Earl Watson. Better yet, we need to be in the market for a new point guard.

4. Pat says:

I havne’t been excited about the Sonics since Shawn Kemp was in his prime, and Shannon and I went to 15+ games per year. Last night’s news about Durant (or… Oden? c’mon, Portland, make the unwise draft choice!) thrilled me.

I think there’s hope for Swift. He won’t be a star, but he’ll be a solid center. It’d be eaisier to upgrade the 1 or the 4 with a sign n trade, or else play Rashard at 4 and run and gun. Yeah, that won’t win you an NBA finals – you need slowdown pick n roll to do that, but it’s a heck of a lot better than where we are now.

Where can I buy a Durant Sonics jersey (he says, not jokingly)? 🙂

5. yglin says:

Being the avid Blazer fan myself. I went to all 3 Blazer games in Seattle (including preseason!) this past season. I gave a hearty yell after they won the draft lottery, called my brother and couldn’t stop saying OMG.

Sorry Sonic fans, the Blazers are staying in Portland and they’re going to be a dynasty. The bandwagon is always open though.

6. Joseon_Illin says:

I hate to be the party pooper, but remember what happened to Shaquille and Alonzo? I have a feeling both Oden and Durant won’t stay long in either city…

Sincerely,
    Jealous Knicks fan

7. e cho says:

Joseon, don’t be jealous. you have Jerome James! 🙂

Pat: I like Swift as well but I just don’t think he’ll ever get angry enough to be more than a backup center. We need ferocious defense, shotblocking, and attitude.

8. Pat says:

Sure, Eugene, but how many guys like that exist in the NBA? Two or three? I mean, it’d be great to have that in your center, but I wonder if the league has moved away from the need to have a true center with the faster pace and 3 pt line changes.

(I wonder if Beauty and Depravity is really a tagline for the Sonics…)

9. e cho says:

pat: you know, i think i’d rather have mikki moore [former sonics player] than swift. i really think darko milicic can have a future with the sonics if we go that route.

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago