blazers, sonics, and the nba draft

I’m sorry.  I have to indulge myself every now and then on what’s fairly a quasi “I take myself too seriously” blog.  I do have other interests like sports.  Enjoyment of sports is a nice way of saying I’m “a recovering sports addict.”  I couldn’t even hack playing Division II sports  so I have to indulge in pummelling people in fantasy sports or crushing [attempting] other Questers in basketball.  I even tried to dominate a basketball night of fathers from my daughter’s school about three years ago.  That domination led to a ruptured Achilles.

After being a fair weather Seattle Supersonics fan all year – and not caring if they’re going to move or not, I [along with probably many others] suddenly got very interested again.  In a change of fortunes, the Sonics nabbed the #2 pick in the upcoming NBA draft.  Even more incredible, the Portland Blazers got the #1 pick which = Greg Oden.  Suddenly, the Portland Blazers will be an automatic playoff team – even in the Western Conference.  Imagine a lineup of Brandon Roy, Zach Randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, and for now, Jarret Jack.  The curse of selecting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan is finally over for Portland.  Look for them to sign Chauncey Billups and they’ll compete with anyone.

But, I digress…this post is about the Supersonics. It’s obvious that they’re going to pick freshman sensation Kevin Durant.  So, here’s my suggestions as a wanna be GM for the Sonics…

• Ray Allen can still play.  He still has 3 great years left.  Keep him and the sweetest shooting stroke.
  • Luke Ridnour is a good guard.  Nowhere close to Nash but very serviceable.  Keep him and let him run which is where he thrives.  We need to let this team run like never before and hope he’s working on his jumper right now as you read this blog.
  • Kevin Durant at small forward.  He’ll start instantaneously and will win Rookie of the Year.  While it would be nice to re-sign Rashard Lewis, we can’t afford to keep him. And we need to trade someone valuable to get value in return in a sign-and-trade.
  • Chris Wilcox/Nick Collison at the PF positions.  Both of these guys understand their roles and can play Center when they do the Phoenix imitation.  If Wilcox leaves via free agency, we’re good with Collison.
  • All of our centers are busts.  The previous GMs should be fired.  Swift?  Sene?  Petro?  Where’s McIlvaine [sp?] when you need him!  Actually, they did fire their GM and are looking for a new GM.  Please contact me.
  • We can trade Rashard Lewis in a sign and trade [plus one of our 37 centers] and consider some of the possible free agents on the open market:
  • Chauncey Billups [Detroit] – smooth.
  • Darko Milicic [Orlando] – Yes, that Darko!  He’s a diamond in the rough in my opinion.  Excellent shot blocker.
  • We can even consider lesser free agent folks like Alonzo Mourning and Jamaal Magloire.
  • A trade I’d love to see take place is Lewis and Swift for Tyson Chandler but it’ll be very unlikely that Charlotte will let him go.

Alright sports fan:  Let me hear your suggestions.

Filed under: seattle, sports

1. Andy says:

Ok – here’s the dream scenario.

Sonics move and become the Oklahoma City, or is it Kansas City, oh wait – Las Vegas Supersonics! In my opinion, good riddance.

Now, let’s bring back our favorite owner Paul Allen. He’s been itching to get out of Portland. Think about it – the Seattle Trailblazers! Bring back Roy, McMillan, Webster. The local boys all back in town again. Tuck in a little Aldridge and Oden. Dude, it’s the ’79 Sonics all over again!

2. e cho says:

Andy, I have heard that theory. It was only a year ago when Allen wanted to sell the Blazers. Interesting. The Seahawks and Seattle Trailblazers dominating their respective sports. I like it.

3. derek says:

It’s clear that Luke Ridnour just can’t play the point in the NBA. He’s too inconsistent and I would personally prefer Earl Watson. Better yet, we need to be in the market for a new point guard.

4. Pat says:

I havne’t been excited about the Sonics since Shawn Kemp was in his prime, and Shannon and I went to 15+ games per year. Last night’s news about Durant (or… Oden? c’mon, Portland, make the unwise draft choice!) thrilled me.

I think there’s hope for Swift. He won’t be a star, but he’ll be a solid center. It’d be eaisier to upgrade the 1 or the 4 with a sign n trade, or else play Rashard at 4 and run and gun. Yeah, that won’t win you an NBA finals – you need slowdown pick n roll to do that, but it’s a heck of a lot better than where we are now.

Where can I buy a Durant Sonics jersey (he says, not jokingly)? 🙂

5. yglin says:

Being the avid Blazer fan myself. I went to all 3 Blazer games in Seattle (including preseason!) this past season. I gave a hearty yell after they won the draft lottery, called my brother and couldn’t stop saying OMG.

Sorry Sonic fans, the Blazers are staying in Portland and they’re going to be a dynasty. The bandwagon is always open though.

6. Joseon_Illin says:

I hate to be the party pooper, but remember what happened to Shaquille and Alonzo? I have a feeling both Oden and Durant won’t stay long in either city…

Sincerely,
    Jealous Knicks fan

7. e cho says:

Joseon, don’t be jealous. you have Jerome James! 🙂

Pat: I like Swift as well but I just don’t think he’ll ever get angry enough to be more than a backup center. We need ferocious defense, shotblocking, and attitude.

8. Pat says:

Sure, Eugene, but how many guys like that exist in the NBA? Two or three? I mean, it’d be great to have that in your center, but I wonder if the league has moved away from the need to have a true center with the faster pace and 3 pt line changes.

(I wonder if Beauty and Depravity is really a tagline for the Sonics…)

9. e cho says:

pat: you know, i think i’d rather have mikki moore [former sonics player] than swift. i really think darko milicic can have a future with the sonics if we go that route.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.