I’m sorry. I have to indulge myself every now and then on what’s fairly a quasi “I take myself too seriously” blog. I do have other interests like sports. Enjoyment of sports is a nice way of saying I’m “a recovering sports addict.” I couldn’t even hack playing Division II sports so I have to indulge in pummelling people in fantasy sports or crushing [attempting] other Questers in basketball. I even tried to dominate a basketball night of fathers from my daughter’s school about three years ago. That domination led to a ruptured Achilles.
After being a fair weather Seattle Supersonics fan all year – and not caring if they’re going to move or not, I [along with probably many others] suddenly got very interested again. In a change of fortunes, the Sonics nabbed the #2 pick in the upcoming NBA draft. Even more incredible, the Portland Blazers got the #1 pick which = Greg Oden. Suddenly, the Portland Blazers will be an automatic playoff team – even in the Western Conference. Imagine a lineup of Brandon Roy, Zach Randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, and for now, Jarret Jack. The curse of selecting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan is finally over for Portland. Look for them to sign Chauncey Billups and they’ll compete with anyone.
But, I digress…this post is about the Supersonics. It’s obvious that they’re going to pick freshman sensation Kevin Durant. So, here’s my suggestions as a wanna be GM for the Sonics…
- Ray Allen can still play. He still has 3 great years left. Keep him and the sweetest shooting stroke.
- Luke Ridnour is a good guard. Nowhere close to Nash but very serviceable. Keep him and let him run which is where he thrives. We need to let this team run like never before and hope he’s working on his jumper right now as you read this blog.
- Kevin Durant at small forward. He’ll start instantaneously and will win Rookie of the Year. While it would be nice to re-sign Rashard Lewis, we can’t afford to keep him. And we need to trade someone valuable to get value in return in a sign-and-trade.
- Chris Wilcox/Nick Collison at the PF positions. Both of these guys understand their roles and can play Center when they do the Phoenix imitation. If Wilcox leaves via free agency, we’re good with Collison.
- All of our centers are busts. The previous GMs should be fired. Swift? Sene? Petro? Where’s McIlvaine [sp?] when you need him! Actually, they did fire their GM and are looking for a new GM. Please contact me.
- We can trade Rashard Lewis in a sign and trade [plus one of our 37 centers] and consider some of the possible free agents on the open market:
- Chauncey Billups [Detroit] – smooth.
- Darko Milicic [Orlando] – Yes, that Darko! He’s a diamond in the rough in my opinion. Excellent shot blocker.
- We can even consider lesser free agent folks like Alonzo Mourning and Jamaal Magloire.
- A trade I’d love to see take place is Lewis and Swift for Tyson Chandler but it’ll be very unlikely that Charlotte will let him go.
Alright sports fan: Let me hear your suggestions.