blazers, sonics, and the nba draft

I’m sorry.  I have to indulge myself every now and then on what’s fairly a quasi “I take myself too seriously” blog.  I do have other interests like sports.  Enjoyment of sports is a nice way of saying I’m “a recovering sports addict.”  I couldn’t even hack playing Division II sports  so I have to indulge in pummelling people in fantasy sports or crushing [attempting] other Questers in basketball.  I even tried to dominate a basketball night of fathers from my daughter’s school about three years ago.  That domination led to a ruptured Achilles.

After being a fair weather Seattle Supersonics fan all year – and not caring if they’re going to move or not, I [along with probably many others] suddenly got very interested again.  In a change of fortunes, the Sonics nabbed the #2 pick in the upcoming NBA draft.  Even more incredible, the Portland Blazers got the #1 pick which = Greg Oden.  Suddenly, the Portland Blazers will be an automatic playoff team – even in the Western Conference.  Imagine a lineup of Brandon Roy, Zach Randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, and for now, Jarret Jack.  The curse of selecting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan is finally over for Portland.  Look for them to sign Chauncey Billups and they’ll compete with anyone.

But, I digress…this post is about the Supersonics. It’s obvious that they’re going to pick freshman sensation Kevin Durant.  So, here’s my suggestions as a wanna be GM for the Sonics…

• Ray Allen can still play.  He still has 3 great years left.  Keep him and the sweetest shooting stroke.
  • Luke Ridnour is a good guard.  Nowhere close to Nash but very serviceable.  Keep him and let him run which is where he thrives.  We need to let this team run like never before and hope he’s working on his jumper right now as you read this blog.
  • Kevin Durant at small forward.  He’ll start instantaneously and will win Rookie of the Year.  While it would be nice to re-sign Rashard Lewis, we can’t afford to keep him. And we need to trade someone valuable to get value in return in a sign-and-trade.
  • Chris Wilcox/Nick Collison at the PF positions.  Both of these guys understand their roles and can play Center when they do the Phoenix imitation.  If Wilcox leaves via free agency, we’re good with Collison.
  • All of our centers are busts.  The previous GMs should be fired.  Swift?  Sene?  Petro?  Where’s McIlvaine [sp?] when you need him!  Actually, they did fire their GM and are looking for a new GM.  Please contact me.
  • We can trade Rashard Lewis in a sign and trade [plus one of our 37 centers] and consider some of the possible free agents on the open market:
  • Chauncey Billups [Detroit] – smooth.
  • Darko Milicic [Orlando] – Yes, that Darko!  He’s a diamond in the rough in my opinion.  Excellent shot blocker.
  • We can even consider lesser free agent folks like Alonzo Mourning and Jamaal Magloire.
  • A trade I’d love to see take place is Lewis and Swift for Tyson Chandler but it’ll be very unlikely that Charlotte will let him go.

Alright sports fan:  Let me hear your suggestions.

Filed under: seattle, sports

1. Andy says:

Ok – here’s the dream scenario.

Sonics move and become the Oklahoma City, or is it Kansas City, oh wait – Las Vegas Supersonics! In my opinion, good riddance.

Now, let’s bring back our favorite owner Paul Allen. He’s been itching to get out of Portland. Think about it – the Seattle Trailblazers! Bring back Roy, McMillan, Webster. The local boys all back in town again. Tuck in a little Aldridge and Oden. Dude, it’s the ’79 Sonics all over again!

2. e cho says:

Andy, I have heard that theory. It was only a year ago when Allen wanted to sell the Blazers. Interesting. The Seahawks and Seattle Trailblazers dominating their respective sports. I like it.

3. derek says:

It’s clear that Luke Ridnour just can’t play the point in the NBA. He’s too inconsistent and I would personally prefer Earl Watson. Better yet, we need to be in the market for a new point guard.

4. Pat says:

I havne’t been excited about the Sonics since Shawn Kemp was in his prime, and Shannon and I went to 15+ games per year. Last night’s news about Durant (or… Oden? c’mon, Portland, make the unwise draft choice!) thrilled me.

I think there’s hope for Swift. He won’t be a star, but he’ll be a solid center. It’d be eaisier to upgrade the 1 or the 4 with a sign n trade, or else play Rashard at 4 and run and gun. Yeah, that won’t win you an NBA finals – you need slowdown pick n roll to do that, but it’s a heck of a lot better than where we are now.

Where can I buy a Durant Sonics jersey (he says, not jokingly)? 🙂

5. yglin says:

Being the avid Blazer fan myself. I went to all 3 Blazer games in Seattle (including preseason!) this past season. I gave a hearty yell after they won the draft lottery, called my brother and couldn’t stop saying OMG.

Sorry Sonic fans, the Blazers are staying in Portland and they’re going to be a dynasty. The bandwagon is always open though.

6. Joseon_Illin says:

I hate to be the party pooper, but remember what happened to Shaquille and Alonzo? I have a feeling both Oden and Durant won’t stay long in either city…

Sincerely,
    Jealous Knicks fan

7. e cho says:

Joseon, don’t be jealous. you have Jerome James! 🙂

Pat: I like Swift as well but I just don’t think he’ll ever get angry enough to be more than a backup center. We need ferocious defense, shotblocking, and attitude.

8. Pat says:

Sure, Eugene, but how many guys like that exist in the NBA? Two or three? I mean, it’d be great to have that in your center, but I wonder if the league has moved away from the need to have a true center with the faster pace and 3 pt line changes.

(I wonder if Beauty and Depravity is really a tagline for the Sonics…)

9. e cho says:

pat: you know, i think i’d rather have mikki moore [former sonics player] than swift. i really think darko milicic can have a future with the sonics if we go that route.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.