blazers, sonics, and the nba draft

I’m sorry.  I have to indulge myself every now and then on what’s fairly a quasi “I take myself too seriously” blog.  I do have other interests like sports.  Enjoyment of sports is a nice way of saying I’m “a recovering sports addict.”  I couldn’t even hack playing Division II sports  so I have to indulge in pummelling people in fantasy sports or crushing [attempting] other Questers in basketball.  I even tried to dominate a basketball night of fathers from my daughter’s school about three years ago.  That domination led to a ruptured Achilles.

After being a fair weather Seattle Supersonics fan all year – and not caring if they’re going to move or not, I [along with probably many others] suddenly got very interested again.  In a change of fortunes, the Sonics nabbed the #2 pick in the upcoming NBA draft.  Even more incredible, the Portland Blazers got the #1 pick which = Greg Oden.  Suddenly, the Portland Blazers will be an automatic playoff team – even in the Western Conference.  Imagine a lineup of Brandon Roy, Zach Randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, and for now, Jarret Jack.  The curse of selecting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan is finally over for Portland.  Look for them to sign Chauncey Billups and they’ll compete with anyone.

But, I digress…this post is about the Supersonics. It’s obvious that they’re going to pick freshman sensation Kevin Durant.  So, here’s my suggestions as a wanna be GM for the Sonics…

• Ray Allen can still play.  He still has 3 great years left.  Keep him and the sweetest shooting stroke.
  • Luke Ridnour is a good guard.  Nowhere close to Nash but very serviceable.  Keep him and let him run which is where he thrives.  We need to let this team run like never before and hope he’s working on his jumper right now as you read this blog.
  • Kevin Durant at small forward.  He’ll start instantaneously and will win Rookie of the Year.  While it would be nice to re-sign Rashard Lewis, we can’t afford to keep him. And we need to trade someone valuable to get value in return in a sign-and-trade.
  • Chris Wilcox/Nick Collison at the PF positions.  Both of these guys understand their roles and can play Center when they do the Phoenix imitation.  If Wilcox leaves via free agency, we’re good with Collison.
  • All of our centers are busts.  The previous GMs should be fired.  Swift?  Sene?  Petro?  Where’s McIlvaine [sp?] when you need him!  Actually, they did fire their GM and are looking for a new GM.  Please contact me.
  • We can trade Rashard Lewis in a sign and trade [plus one of our 37 centers] and consider some of the possible free agents on the open market:
  • Chauncey Billups [Detroit] – smooth.
  • Darko Milicic [Orlando] – Yes, that Darko!  He’s a diamond in the rough in my opinion.  Excellent shot blocker.
  • We can even consider lesser free agent folks like Alonzo Mourning and Jamaal Magloire.
  • A trade I’d love to see take place is Lewis and Swift for Tyson Chandler but it’ll be very unlikely that Charlotte will let him go.

Alright sports fan:  Let me hear your suggestions.

Filed under: seattle, sports

1. Andy says:

Ok – here’s the dream scenario.

Sonics move and become the Oklahoma City, or is it Kansas City, oh wait – Las Vegas Supersonics! In my opinion, good riddance.

Now, let’s bring back our favorite owner Paul Allen. He’s been itching to get out of Portland. Think about it – the Seattle Trailblazers! Bring back Roy, McMillan, Webster. The local boys all back in town again. Tuck in a little Aldridge and Oden. Dude, it’s the ’79 Sonics all over again!

2. e cho says:

Andy, I have heard that theory. It was only a year ago when Allen wanted to sell the Blazers. Interesting. The Seahawks and Seattle Trailblazers dominating their respective sports. I like it.

3. derek says:

It’s clear that Luke Ridnour just can’t play the point in the NBA. He’s too inconsistent and I would personally prefer Earl Watson. Better yet, we need to be in the market for a new point guard.

4. Pat says:

I havne’t been excited about the Sonics since Shawn Kemp was in his prime, and Shannon and I went to 15+ games per year. Last night’s news about Durant (or… Oden? c’mon, Portland, make the unwise draft choice!) thrilled me.

I think there’s hope for Swift. He won’t be a star, but he’ll be a solid center. It’d be eaisier to upgrade the 1 or the 4 with a sign n trade, or else play Rashard at 4 and run and gun. Yeah, that won’t win you an NBA finals – you need slowdown pick n roll to do that, but it’s a heck of a lot better than where we are now.

Where can I buy a Durant Sonics jersey (he says, not jokingly)? 🙂

5. yglin says:

Being the avid Blazer fan myself. I went to all 3 Blazer games in Seattle (including preseason!) this past season. I gave a hearty yell after they won the draft lottery, called my brother and couldn’t stop saying OMG.

Sorry Sonic fans, the Blazers are staying in Portland and they’re going to be a dynasty. The bandwagon is always open though.

6. Joseon_Illin says:

I hate to be the party pooper, but remember what happened to Shaquille and Alonzo? I have a feeling both Oden and Durant won’t stay long in either city…

Sincerely,
    Jealous Knicks fan

7. e cho says:

Joseon, don’t be jealous. you have Jerome James! 🙂

Pat: I like Swift as well but I just don’t think he’ll ever get angry enough to be more than a backup center. We need ferocious defense, shotblocking, and attitude.

8. Pat says:

Sure, Eugene, but how many guys like that exist in the NBA? Two or three? I mean, it’d be great to have that in your center, but I wonder if the league has moved away from the need to have a true center with the faster pace and 3 pt line changes.

(I wonder if Beauty and Depravity is really a tagline for the Sonics…)

9. e cho says:

pat: you know, i think i’d rather have mikki moore [former sonics player] than swift. i really think darko milicic can have a future with the sonics if we go that route.

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 22 hours ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 2 days ago
  • "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." - a local Iraqi priest || 3 days ago
  • I've been traveling through Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan. Meeting local pastors/leaders, NGOs, and refugees. Join us on IG… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 3 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 6 days ago