seattle best eats?

Minhee and I don’t get to eat out too much.  Lugging around three kids limit our options a little.  For us, gourmet food is pho shizzle.  So, when guests and visitors ask us for our recommendations where to eat, we run out after couple contributions. So, we need some help:

• Best or favorite places to eat in larger Seattle area?
  • Most romantic places to eat for couples?
  • Best kid friendly places?

Filed under: seattle

1. Tim Sneath says:

Denny’s, of course 🙂

2. Blake says:

Mexican: (All food is delicious and restaurants are family friendly)
    – Rosita’s Mexican Restaurant (Greenlake – Woodlawn & 72nd)
    – Tacos Guaymas (In Fremont , Greenlake, elsewhere)

Most Romantic:
    – Been a while since I’ve needed somewhere romantic, but my last serious girlfriend and I really enjoyed “La Rustica” in West Seattle, just south of Alki.

Kid Friendly:
    – Chuck E Cheese!!!
    – Anywhere where stuff isn’t breakable 😉

3. Dan K. says:

Best Eats: Matador, anything seafood around Lake Union, International District

Most Romantic: Space Needle, Palisades

Kid Friendly: Cheesecake

4. Kay says:

Here’s my two cents:

Umi Sushi (fantastic happy hour prices on food, and if you sit in the front “patio” area, it runs until 8PM)
    Mexican: Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard
    Romantic and charming and wonderful food: Marjorie’s in Belltown
    Romantic AND kid-friendly: Serafina’s in Eastlake (complete with crayon box for drawing, and totally cater to making whatever it is you think your kid will eat)
    Fantastic food and interesting menu: Lark in Cap Hill
    Late night eats: Honey Court in the I.D. (I think they serve food til 3AM on weekend nights, if not every single night)
    Best chili-cheese fries: 5-point cafe (but shady, and definitely not kid-friendly)
    Volterra in Ballard == yummmmm…..
    Zoe in Belltown == YUMMMMMM…….
    Secret fun dining experience in Pioneer Square: DeNunzio’s. You go in and they ask if you eat “everything” and then proceed to bring out 4-5 courses of food that the chef wants to make for you. It’s kinda underground, cool and funky art on the walls, lots of personality…. really like most of the food….but of course run the risk when you don’t actually order from a menu.
    Fun new place to get a great little pizza: Serious Pie (4th & Stewart)

Also, really curious about the French-Korean place that opened up in Madison Park!

I could go on, but well… that seems like a reasonable start…

5. CV says:

Okay, we don’t live in Seattle, but love Flying Fish down on 2nd (north of Pike St). We order multiple appetizers instead of a full meal.

6. Blake says:

If you like cheap burgers and good German eats/brews, the People’s Pub in Ballard on Ballard Ave is awesome. It’s my regular spot. 🙂

The front half of the pub is an all-ages restaurant that is actually pretty kid-friendly because they they have several board games, chess/checker boards and such. Good times! Besides, you can’t beat the $5.50 happy hour burger. It’s seriously one of the best I’ve had in Seattle.

7. Sarah says:

Gotta love the Malay Satay Hut! 2 locations to serve.
    Also…
    Tamarind Tree – the last time we went it was crazy busy but it’s still great food for a great price.
    Pasta Freska (the same concept as DeNunzio’s, only I think Pasta Freska was there first)
    La Rustica – already recommended
    Pegasus Pizza (also on Alki) – great pizzas!
    Six Seven is a super romantic place. Right on the pier, and superb food. Pricey though!

8. e cho says:

thanks folks. i’m going to just have guests visit this entry.

sarah: is malay the place that catered your wedding? best wedding food thus far.

9. Ted says:

One word: Gordito’s

10. m@ says:

Rocking Wok! Rocking Wok!

11. Sarah says:

Yeah, Malay Satay Hut served the food at our wedding. I’m glad that nobody’s topped us yet! Heh.

I don’t know how you feel about durian, but they make a mean durian shake. It’s only available during the summers though.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 2 days ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 5 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 5 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 5 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 1 week ago