seattle best eats?

Minhee and I don’t get to eat out too much.  Lugging around three kids limit our options a little.  For us, gourmet food is pho shizzle.  So, when guests and visitors ask us for our recommendations where to eat, we run out after couple contributions. So, we need some help:

• Best or favorite places to eat in larger Seattle area?
  • Most romantic places to eat for couples?
  • Best kid friendly places?

Filed under: seattle

1. Tim Sneath says:

Denny’s, of course 🙂

2. Blake says:

Mexican: (All food is delicious and restaurants are family friendly)
    – Rosita’s Mexican Restaurant (Greenlake – Woodlawn & 72nd)
    – Tacos Guaymas (In Fremont , Greenlake, elsewhere)

Most Romantic:
    – Been a while since I’ve needed somewhere romantic, but my last serious girlfriend and I really enjoyed “La Rustica” in West Seattle, just south of Alki.

Kid Friendly:
    – Chuck E Cheese!!!
    – Anywhere where stuff isn’t breakable 😉

3. Dan K. says:

Best Eats: Matador, anything seafood around Lake Union, International District

Most Romantic: Space Needle, Palisades

Kid Friendly: Cheesecake

4. Kay says:

Here’s my two cents:

Umi Sushi (fantastic happy hour prices on food, and if you sit in the front “patio” area, it runs until 8PM)
    Mexican: Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard
    Romantic and charming and wonderful food: Marjorie’s in Belltown
    Romantic AND kid-friendly: Serafina’s in Eastlake (complete with crayon box for drawing, and totally cater to making whatever it is you think your kid will eat)
    Fantastic food and interesting menu: Lark in Cap Hill
    Late night eats: Honey Court in the I.D. (I think they serve food til 3AM on weekend nights, if not every single night)
    Best chili-cheese fries: 5-point cafe (but shady, and definitely not kid-friendly)
    Volterra in Ballard == yummmmm…..
    Zoe in Belltown == YUMMMMMM…….
    Secret fun dining experience in Pioneer Square: DeNunzio’s. You go in and they ask if you eat “everything” and then proceed to bring out 4-5 courses of food that the chef wants to make for you. It’s kinda underground, cool and funky art on the walls, lots of personality…. really like most of the food….but of course run the risk when you don’t actually order from a menu.
    Fun new place to get a great little pizza: Serious Pie (4th & Stewart)

Also, really curious about the French-Korean place that opened up in Madison Park!

I could go on, but well… that seems like a reasonable start…

5. CV says:

Okay, we don’t live in Seattle, but love Flying Fish down on 2nd (north of Pike St). We order multiple appetizers instead of a full meal.

6. Blake says:

If you like cheap burgers and good German eats/brews, the People’s Pub in Ballard on Ballard Ave is awesome. It’s my regular spot. 🙂

The front half of the pub is an all-ages restaurant that is actually pretty kid-friendly because they they have several board games, chess/checker boards and such. Good times! Besides, you can’t beat the $5.50 happy hour burger. It’s seriously one of the best I’ve had in Seattle.

7. Sarah says:

Gotta love the Malay Satay Hut! 2 locations to serve.
    Also…
    Tamarind Tree – the last time we went it was crazy busy but it’s still great food for a great price.
    Pasta Freska (the same concept as DeNunzio’s, only I think Pasta Freska was there first)
    La Rustica – already recommended
    Pegasus Pizza (also on Alki) – great pizzas!
    Six Seven is a super romantic place. Right on the pier, and superb food. Pricey though!

8. e cho says:

thanks folks. i’m going to just have guests visit this entry.

sarah: is malay the place that catered your wedding? best wedding food thus far.

9. Ted says:

One word: Gordito’s

10. m@ says:

Rocking Wok! Rocking Wok!

11. Sarah says:

Yeah, Malay Satay Hut served the food at our wedding. I’m glad that nobody’s topped us yet! Heh.

I don’t know how you feel about durian, but they make a mean durian shake. It’s only available during the summers though.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.