an alternative to ‘the apprentice’

i managed to find a few minutes to watch ‘the apprentice: los angeles’ for the first time last night.  asides from my enjoyment of espn and dvds, i really don’t catch too much TV – even if jack bauer is everyone’s hero.  i had been wanting to catch the apprentice because of james sun, who was a member of the church i pastored in lynnwood (north suburb of seattle) from 1997-2000.  he was a college student back then and i’m very pleased for him.  i hear that james has done an exceptional job on the show and has a good possibility of being revealed as the ‘winner.’  as of last night, he’s still in the running. but…

while i understand the premise of the show and why it would be so appealing, i have another idea for a show.  seriously, who wouldn’t want to fly around on private jets, wheel and deal million dollar deals, sell gold las vegas condos, and other perks of the high life.  anyway, here’s the idea:  i’d love to see a network host a show with bill and melinda gates entitled, ‘the philanthrophist.’  as the title may allude, the premise of the show would be giving a group of folks (25 every year?) an opportunity to pitch an idea to better the world, love the hurting, feed the hungry, seek justice for the marginalized, seeking refuge for the IDPs, protecting at risk children or children of war, advocate for the ‘have nots,’ etc. – all while demonstrating a model for viability and sustainability.  every year, the first place receipient receives $1 million, 2nd place – $500,000, and 3rd place – $250,000 – to implement their dream organization.

can you imagine what fresh vision and ideas could come out of something like this?  if you know the gates or any network executive, please forward this post to them.  i seem to have misplaced the gates’ phone number.  i certainly would love to be on a show like that.  minhee and i have been wrestling a little more intensely the past couple months about starting a non-profit that would seek to make a difference – however small – in the larger world.  it’s been on our hearts for some time but for the time being, we’re asking God to expel the fear in our hearts.

if you had a million dollars, asides from buying lots of bowls of pho, how would you use it to ‘better’ the world?  what kind of non-profit org would you start?  what kind of humanitarian aid org?  where in the world would you invest?  what purpose? what are some of the organizations you love or support?

one that absolutely blows my mind is this.

Filed under: leadership

1. JT says:

I don’t have an idea but I love your reality show idea.

2. Blake says:

Great idea, PE!😀

If I had $1 million and all the training necessary, I think I’d want to start a non-profit to share the joys of flight with inner city kids. The goal would be to show them what’s out there above the clouds and potentially inspire them to become pilots themselves–potentially for airlines. Expanding their horizons (pun intended ;-)).

3. Wayne Park says:

I would pursue results that are measurable and not just theoretical; I would favor preventative approaches rather that costly band-aid approaches. I would work to provide clean water – which is the root of most health problems and work to eradicate at least one disease.. I like what the carter center has done.. http://cartercenter.org/

4. Jennifer says:

If I had a million dollars, I would set up an organization so that anyone who needed spiritual direction (or counseling in more extreme cases) could get it – people who are in the vast majority of churches have no access to that kind of help unless they can pay for it, and there are plenty of people who cant pay, or if they can, they have no way of locating someone to help them in the first place. Most people don’t need counseling, they need a spiritual-friendship with another human being where they can work out the relationship with Christ. People look to the church for that kind of help, but it’s usually only available on a very limited scale, or is not available at all.

5. dennis says:

education for women and children.

6. Andy says:

I’d love to create a for-profit business that is self-sustaining but seeks to develop people who come from developing countries and/or challenging backgrounds to create content that is monetizable by the likes of Google, Yahoo, etc. It’s amazing what difference making $10/day vs. $1/day is in the poorest of the poor. And, with globalization and technology the opportunities now exist for the poor and marginalized to participate. It’s not that many pageviews to get there. It’s never easy, but the possibilities are there! Perhaps, teaching PE’s blogging skills is the next small business revolution.

Our character is often evident in our highs and lows. Be humble in the mountaintops. Be steadfast in the valleys. Be faithful in the between. Quintessential Seattle summer night... Exciting news! While I can't share the specifics yet, Jeremy Lin (@jlin7) and @onedayswages will be partnering together.
About a year ago, Jeremy reached out after he read my book, Overrated. We talked about, faith, gospel, justice, tenacity, influence, breaking ankles with our crossovers. Eventually, one thing led to another and then dreaming about collaboration for the greater Kingdom.

I appreciate his heart, his humility, and his commitment to use his platform for Christ. And of course, I'm thrilled for his new chapter as the starting point guard for the Brooklyn Nets. He's gonna have a great season. #jeremylin #linsanity #onedayswages #nba #brooklynnets // photo credit: @lovitylove I was trying to have a tender father-daughter grown up talk moment before she heads off to college next month. As in like, "Hey, you're a grown up now, floss regularly,  know who you are, what you're about, study hard, don't succumb to peer pressure, your relationship with God is the first priority, don't take too many selfies, know the difference between "their', 'there', and they're', watch out for boys and their cooties"... but...I'm having a difficult...time...focusing. This fall, I'm marking 25 years of serving as a pastor in the local church. Served in Sacramento, CA, Flushing NY, Princeton, NJ, Seoul, Korea, Lynnwood, WA, and now about 17 years in the city of Seattle. Minhee has been on this journey with me for almost 20 years.
So many ups and downs. Lots of tears and restless nights. Lots of personal doubts and insecurities. But ultimately, we've experienced that God's grace is sufficient in our weakness.
And along the way, so many incredible and indelible memories.
Especially grateful to be invited into the joyous celebrations and also the deep moments of vulnerability and pain. Through it all, what an amazing joy and privilege to bear witness to the grace and love of Christ. Palm trees make everything feel better. Thank you to the kind folks of Mount Hermon for hosting us. Thank you, Santa Cruz for being Santa Cruz.

• The foundation of humility is when we see ourselves in the right relationship with God. In other words: God is God and we are not. || 1 day ago
  • RT @EugeneCho: We confess: Our mourning is often limited to the West. Lord, forgive us. Break our hearts. Awake us from our apathy. https:/… || 2 days ago
  • We confess: Our mourning is often limited to the West. Lord, forgive us. Break our hearts. Awake us from our apathy. twitter.com/kenanrahmani/s… || 3 days ago
  • Our character is often evident in our highs and lows. Be humble in the mountaintops. Be… instagram.com/p/BJjHqsKhZl1/ || 3 days ago
  • Our character is often evident in our highs and lows.Be humble in the mountaintops. Be steadfast in the valleys. Be faithful in the between. || 3 days ago
  • RT @NMocanu: @EugeneCho Mia cara amata bella Italia... stiamo pregando per te! Translated: My beautiful beloved Italy, I am praying for y… || 4 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,411 other followers