an alternative to ‘the apprentice’

i managed to find a few minutes to watch ‘the apprentice: los angeles’ for the first time last night.  asides from my enjoyment of espn and dvds, i really don’t catch too much TV – even if jack bauer is everyone’s hero.  i had been wanting to catch the apprentice because of james sun, who was a member of the church i pastored in lynnwood (north suburb of seattle) from 1997-2000.  he was a college student back then and i’m very pleased for him.  i hear that james has done an exceptional job on the show and has a good possibility of being revealed as the ‘winner.’  as of last night, he’s still in the running. but…

while i understand the premise of the show and why it would be so appealing, i have another idea for a show.  seriously, who wouldn’t want to fly around on private jets, wheel and deal million dollar deals, sell gold las vegas condos, and other perks of the high life.  anyway, here’s the idea:  i’d love to see a network host a show with bill and melinda gates entitled, ‘the philanthrophist.’  as the title may allude, the premise of the show would be giving a group of folks (25 every year?) an opportunity to pitch an idea to better the world, love the hurting, feed the hungry, seek justice for the marginalized, seeking refuge for the IDPs, protecting at risk children or children of war, advocate for the ‘have nots,’ etc. – all while demonstrating a model for viability and sustainability.  every year, the first place receipient receives $1 million, 2nd place – $500,000, and 3rd place – $250,000 – to implement their dream organization.

can you imagine what fresh vision and ideas could come out of something like this?  if you know the gates or any network executive, please forward this post to them.  i seem to have misplaced the gates’ phone number.  i certainly would love to be on a show like that.  minhee and i have been wrestling a little more intensely the past couple months about starting a non-profit that would seek to make a difference – however small – in the larger world.  it’s been on our hearts for some time but for the time being, we’re asking God to expel the fear in our hearts.

if you had a million dollars, asides from buying lots of bowls of pho, how would you use it to ‘better’ the world?  what kind of non-profit org would you start?  what kind of humanitarian aid org?  where in the world would you invest?  what purpose? what are some of the organizations you love or support?

one that absolutely blows my mind is this.

Filed under: leadership

1. JT says:

I don’t have an idea but I love your reality show idea.

2. Blake says:

Great idea, PE!😀

If I had $1 million and all the training necessary, I think I’d want to start a non-profit to share the joys of flight with inner city kids. The goal would be to show them what’s out there above the clouds and potentially inspire them to become pilots themselves–potentially for airlines. Expanding their horizons (pun intended ;-)).

3. Wayne Park says:

I would pursue results that are measurable and not just theoretical; I would favor preventative approaches rather that costly band-aid approaches. I would work to provide clean water – which is the root of most health problems and work to eradicate at least one disease.. I like what the carter center has done..

4. Jennifer says:

If I had a million dollars, I would set up an organization so that anyone who needed spiritual direction (or counseling in more extreme cases) could get it – people who are in the vast majority of churches have no access to that kind of help unless they can pay for it, and there are plenty of people who cant pay, or if they can, they have no way of locating someone to help them in the first place. Most people don’t need counseling, they need a spiritual-friendship with another human being where they can work out the relationship with Christ. People look to the church for that kind of help, but it’s usually only available on a very limited scale, or is not available at all.

5. dennis says:

education for women and children.

6. Andy says:

I’d love to create a for-profit business that is self-sustaining but seeks to develop people who come from developing countries and/or challenging backgrounds to create content that is monetizable by the likes of Google, Yahoo, etc. It’s amazing what difference making $10/day vs. $1/day is in the poorest of the poor. And, with globalization and technology the opportunities now exist for the poor and marginalized to participate. It’s not that many pageviews to get there. It’s never easy, but the possibilities are there! Perhaps, teaching PE’s blogging skills is the next small business revolution.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're fleeing away from violence, war, and terrorism. Afraid? We're all afraid but agencies are implementing some of the most rigorous and thorough vetting. My family hosted a Somalian Muslim family from a refugee camp years ago through @worldrelief. It was eye opening, challenging, and encouraging...and we hope to host families again in the future as they resettle in a new foreign city and country. It's a terrifying experience. And while not a refugee, I remember the first few months as a immigrant when I was six years old. To this day, I remember the kindness of folks that helped us through that transition. Lift a prayer for me as I'm privileged to collaborate in ministry here in Melbourne, Australia. Meeting with local pastors, teaching at the Justice Conference (10/21-22). Then, preaching at the Bridge Church on Sunday  Pray that in preaching the whole Gospel from the Scriptures, I may honor God, point people to Jesus, and be sensitive to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Interesting. The holy bench. Wow. And in a blink of an eye, this happened. The nights might be long but the years go by fast. #ParentProverbs #WhatHappenedToMy13YearOldSon This past week, @seattlequest celebrated its 15th Anniversary. In many ways, it feels like forever and in other ways, it just seemed like we just started yesterday.

Around May 2000, Minhee and I found out we were expecting a 2nd child. Then, we got another surprise. We felt a calling and stirring to plant a church. We told God, "This is horrible timing!" We left a thriving ministry that we started in the Seattle surburbs and felt compelled to move into the city to plant a new multiethnic church called Quest. To be honest, we were so scared. Minhee was pregnant. Our insurance was about to run out. But we ventured forth. Once I resigned from this church, I had plans, goals, strategies...and none of them materialized. Only bills and payments. I quickly found out that a Masters of Divinity degree - as cool as it may sound - is actually useless in society. No one wanted to hire me. I was unemployed for months. We were eventually on food stamps and DSHS insurance.

In December 2000, we welcomed our 2nd child to the world. When "T" was born, we cried more than the baby. Couple days later, I finally landed a job as the janitor at a Barnes & Noble store. It wasn't quite what I was envisioning but God really worked through this "valley season." And we finally felt peace about starting Quest. Seven people gathered in our living room and several months later on October 2001, Quest Church was officially launched.
It has not been easy. We've been hurt and worse, we learned we hurt people. More accurately, I hurt people. We've heard our share of criticisms and sometimes, even worse. I've been called my share of names. Too many to list. I've been too liberal, too conservative, too edgy, too rigid, too blunt, too passive. We spent many nights crying out to the Lord...for direction, for peace, for answers. We usually never got the answers we were wanting...but we always felt His presence - even during our valleys. To be honest, we still have many restless nights. In fact, I think we have had more restless nights these past two years than we did in the first two years.
But through it all. God has been so faithful and gracious. Thank you, Lord. The good ol' days when I just wanted to make music. My kids have no idea how coooooooool I was. #OriginalMacPowell

• It's my birthday today. Grateful for family/friends. Above all, Jesus: Grateful for life, gift of salvation & the privilege of serving You. || 14 hours ago
  • Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're fleeing from violence, war, terrorism:…… || 15 hours ago
  • Lift a prayer for me as I preach in Melbourne, Australia. That I may honor God, point to Jesus, be sensitive to HS: || 22 hours ago
  • Political inclinations aside, you discover much about a person in defeat. Finish well. This is leadership, too. || 1 day ago
  • Left. Right. Liberal. Conservative. Whatever your adjective, followers of Christ ought to be for the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. || 1 day ago
  • Politics and politicians frustrate me. However, we must engage politics b/c politics create policy & policy affects people & people matter. || 1 day ago