Thanks to each of you for your friendship and partnership.  We live in interesting times where through the internet, certain levels of connection can take place and information can be conveyed like never before.  Perhaps, not in the most deepest level, but a certain level of ‘community’ is still possible.  I write this post to ask for prayer from the folks at Quest Church, my network of personal friends, fellow co-laborers in Seattle, and the larger community I’ve had the privilege of meeting in the past years.  Prayer is both a beautiful and mysterious gift.  It is a good thing.  I’ve also learned that it is both a personal and communal thing.  While I have no prayer cards, no prayer letter reminders, and no official prayer chain, I simply ask that as my family and I come to mind or heart, please lift up a prayer for us.

The past year has been one of the most exciting and simultaneously, the most emotionally exhausting year of ‘ministry.’  As most pastors may know, the line between ministry and personal life is simply, very nebulous.  It is what it is.  There’s ways to create boundaries but there are times those boundaries simply get thrown out the window.  Without going into much detail, it’s been gutwrenchingly painful to see people (that we love) go through intensely difficult seasons of their lives.  It has impacted the church pastors.   It has impacted my family.  It has certainly impacted me.  Please pray for wisdom, protection, and constant dependence on the Holy Spirit.  Please pray for Minhee, my family, and our health.

I also ask for prayer because the next 6 months will mark another significant season at Quest.  Within the next six months, we’ll likely conduct many meetings and forums surrounding Interbay Church  joining Quest, transition to the summer schedule, likely ‘officially’ merge the churches and experience all the excitement and bumps that come with that – culturally, logistically, and legally, go through a mini renovation project in July/August to get the current Interbay sanctuary to a place where we maximize its space and where we can continue to engage the larger city of Seattle, mentor some friends who are planting a church, and finally, get my basketball game to a level where other Questers don’t laugh me off the court.  During each ‘major transition’ at Quest, there have always been hurt feelings, misunderstandings, departures, and painful judgments.  Yummy.

The busy schedule begins this week.  I’m off to Poulsbo, Port Angeles, Anacortes, and Bellingham for a few nights to teach a class on ‘What is Culture?” as part of the Perspectives program.  My family and I are looking forward to some good rest for several weeks in August.  I’ve learned in my 16 years of ministry and 10 years of marriage, that life – marriage, ministry,  family, amongst many things — all have ebbs and flows.  There’s a time to rest; a time to play; and a time to push.  This is the season for ‘push.’

Thanks for thinking of us…

Filed under: prayer, quest church

1. Jason k says:

You and your family will always be in our prayers. God bless you and keep you strong for his Kingdom..

2. Pat says:

Tonight, and this week, I pray St. Patrick’s Breastplate for you and Quest Church. It includes this wonderful incarnational request:

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
    Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
    Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
    Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise,
    Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
    Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
    Christ in every eye that sees me,
    Christ in every ear that hears me.

Blessings – grace and peace to you.

3. Pastor Eugene,

You already have been on my mind and in my heart more in these last two months than in the last two years. May the Lord lead and guide, comfort and protect, shield and anoint you. Our family will continue praying for yours.

4. Esther says:

we will be praying for your family.

5. Blake says:

You’re covered, P.E. Thanks for being so vulnerable.

6. Peter Choi Jr. says:

wow. 16 years. keep pressing on, brother. prayers for you and your family.

7. e cho says:

Thanks folks for your prayers and your continual prayers.

8. Wayne Park says:

yes indeed, it is a season for “push” – I feel you on that one.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Paying respects. Learning the stories of the First Peoples of Australia at the exhibit at Melbourne Museum.  So painful and tragic what many have endured through the injustice of colonization here and around the world. Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...not many understand the messy and arduous work involved of learning others' stories, truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, healing, and peacemaking. It may feel like a ritual but it was good to participate in this: The Justice Conference acknowledges the traditional owners on the land on which we meet – the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation. We pay our respects to all Wurundjeri elders past and present. #JusticeConfAu Whoa. Beautiful. Mesmerizing. Also reminded that while buildings are nice and have their place, the building isn't the church Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're the ones fleeing away from violence, war, and terrorism.
Afraid? Me too. It's ok to acknowledge we're afraid since it confirms we're all...just...human. We're all afraid on some level especially when our culture seems to run on the currency of fear but as we live out our faith in Christ and more deeply embody compassion and love, fear begins to dissipate. It's also incredibly critical to know that agencies are implementing some of the most rigorous and thorough vetting ever.
My family hosted a Somalian Muslim family from a refugee camp years ago through @WorldRelief. It was eye opening, challenging (especially with language realities), and yet, encouraging...and we hope to host families again in the future as they resettle in a completely new and foreign city and country. It's a terrifying experience. And while not a refugee, I remember the first few months as an immigrant when I was six years old. To this day, I remember the kindness of folks that helped us through that transition. Lift a prayer for me as I'm privileged to collaborate in ministry here in Melbourne, Australia. Meeting with local pastors, teaching at the Justice Conference (10/21-22). Then, preaching at the Bridge Church on Sunday  Pray that in preaching the whole Gospel from the Scriptures, I may honor God, point people to Jesus, and be sensitive to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Interesting. The holy bench. Wow. And in a blink of an eye, this happened. The nights might be long but the years go by fast. #ParentProverbs #WhatHappenedToMy13YearOldSon