prayer

Thanks to each of you for your friendship and partnership.  We live in interesting times where through the internet, certain levels of connection can take place and information can be conveyed like never before.  Perhaps, not in the most deepest level, but a certain level of ‘community’ is still possible.  I write this post to ask for prayer from the folks at Quest Church, my network of personal friends, fellow co-laborers in Seattle, and the larger community I’ve had the privilege of meeting in the past years.  Prayer is both a beautiful and mysterious gift.  It is a good thing.  I’ve also learned that it is both a personal and communal thing.  While I have no prayer cards, no prayer letter reminders, and no official prayer chain, I simply ask that as my family and I come to mind or heart, please lift up a prayer for us.

The past year has been one of the most exciting and simultaneously, the most emotionally exhausting year of ‘ministry.’  As most pastors may know, the line between ministry and personal life is simply, very nebulous.  It is what it is.  There’s ways to create boundaries but there are times those boundaries simply get thrown out the window.  Without going into much detail, it’s been gutwrenchingly painful to see people (that we love) go through intensely difficult seasons of their lives.  It has impacted the church pastors.   It has impacted my family.  It has certainly impacted me.  Please pray for wisdom, protection, and constant dependence on the Holy Spirit.  Please pray for Minhee, my family, and our health.

I also ask for prayer because the next 6 months will mark another significant season at Quest.  Within the next six months, we’ll likely conduct many meetings and forums surrounding Interbay Church  joining Quest, transition to the summer schedule, likely ‘officially’ merge the churches and experience all the excitement and bumps that come with that – culturally, logistically, and legally, go through a mini renovation project in July/August to get the current Interbay sanctuary to a place where we maximize its space and where we can continue to engage the larger city of Seattle, mentor some friends who are planting a church, and finally, get my basketball game to a level where other Questers don’t laugh me off the court.  During each ‘major transition’ at Quest, there have always been hurt feelings, misunderstandings, departures, and painful judgments.  Yummy.

The busy schedule begins this week.  I’m off to Poulsbo, Port Angeles, Anacortes, and Bellingham for a few nights to teach a class on ‘What is Culture?” as part of the Perspectives program.  My family and I are looking forward to some good rest for several weeks in August.  I’ve learned in my 16 years of ministry and 10 years of marriage, that life – marriage, ministry,  family, amongst many things — all have ebbs and flows.  There’s a time to rest; a time to play; and a time to push.  This is the season for ‘push.’

Thanks for thinking of us…

Filed under: prayer, quest church

1. Jason k says:

You and your family will always be in our prayers. God bless you and keep you strong for his Kingdom..

2. Pat says:

Tonight, and this week, I pray St. Patrick’s Breastplate for you and Quest Church. It includes this wonderful incarnational request:

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
    Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
    Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
    Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise,
    Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
    Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
    Christ in every eye that sees me,
    Christ in every ear that hears me.

Blessings – grace and peace to you.

3. Pastor Eugene,

You already have been on my mind and in my heart more in these last two months than in the last two years. May the Lord lead and guide, comfort and protect, shield and anoint you. Our family will continue praying for yours.

4. Esther says:

we will be praying for your family.

5. Blake says:

You’re covered, P.E. Thanks for being so vulnerable.

6. Peter Choi Jr. says:

wow. 16 years. keep pressing on, brother. prayers for you and your family.

7. e cho says:

Thanks folks for your prayers and your continual prayers.

8. Wayne Park says:

yes indeed, it is a season for “push” – I feel you on that one.

This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism. Anywhere. Everywhere. Night markets are the best.