happy new year – again?!

letter.jpg

yes, happy new year to each of you – again!  today is the celebration of lunar new year.  many folks know it in the states as ‘chinese new year’ but many other asian people, including Koreans, also celebrate this day.  while most have adopted january 1 as new year’s day in order to celebrate with the larger world, they still maintain a deep appreciation and celebration of the Lunar New Year or Sollnal (in Korean).  sollnal (korean new year) and chusok (thanksgiving) are the two most significant holidays in the korean culture.

so, happy new year to each of you from our family.  the video (and short post) below was something we posted to mark the western celebration several weeks ago.  may this year be filled with mystery, surprises, blessings, and much joy.

on the first day of the year, we eat a traditional dish called ‘duhk-gook'(korean rice stew).  most korean families begin the new year with this meal.  we also had some friends over to play ‘yut nori.’  unfortunately, the ladies crushes the men.  and lastly, we called our elders to wish them a happy new years. now that we’re parents, our children changed into their traditional korean clothing to pay their respects to us.  in return, elders give each child a word of encouragement and wisdom and some cash as a gift.  usually, our parents are with us during the holidays so we would also bow to them.  thanks to modern technology, minhee, the kids, and i were able to bow and pay our respects to our parents via the webcam and skype program.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Filed under: asian-american, culture, family

1. Esther says:

We celebrated the New Year with over 150 friends (co-workers, prayer supporters, students, families with children, young and old, they came in groups of 25, all day round) We bowed to each other and had a real good time sharing, eating, looking at old photos and praising the Lord for His goodness and grace. It is wonderful to belong to God’s family.

2. David Park says:

sae hae bohk mahn ee bahd eu sae yo!~

3. elderj says:

yeah… what david said

4. linda k. says:

i had duhk-gook for breakfast and lunch, then more pieces of duhk smothered in sesame oil and injected with sugar after dinner. clearly, this is one of my favorite foods. it was a gluttonously glutinous day.

i really like the hanboks your kids were wearing — trendy, traditional, and contemporary. when i was that age mine was just way overly coloful and embellished, i probably blinded everyone around me.

5. gar says:

happy new year… or as Cantonese people like to say… “sun nin fai lok!” =)

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• The meaning of Memorial Day - through the eyes of my 81-yr-old father who was 14 yrs old when the Korean war began:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 8 hours ago
  • Remember the fallen. Honor our soldiers. Pray for leaders. And remember that we serve the Kingdom of God rather than the Empire of Nations. || 13 hours ago
  • We sometimes forget that heroes are real & ordinary people who demonstrate kindness & love. Thank you, Ricky Best &… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • In a world with much noise & clutter, we must create space to hear God's voice. Embrace solitude & silence. Sabbath. Pray. Listen. Breathe. || 3 days ago
  • "Being partisan is different than being political; discipleship means speaking into politics for common good." -… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago
  • "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 5 days ago