happy new year – again?!

letter.jpg

yes, happy new year to each of you – again!  today is the celebration of lunar new year.  many folks know it in the states as ‘chinese new year’ but many other asian people, including Koreans, also celebrate this day.  while most have adopted january 1 as new year’s day in order to celebrate with the larger world, they still maintain a deep appreciation and celebration of the Lunar New Year or Sollnal (in Korean).  sollnal (korean new year) and chusok (thanksgiving) are the two most significant holidays in the korean culture.

so, happy new year to each of you from our family.  the video (and short post) below was something we posted to mark the western celebration several weeks ago.  may this year be filled with mystery, surprises, blessings, and much joy.

on the first day of the year, we eat a traditional dish called ‘duhk-gook'(korean rice stew).  most korean families begin the new year with this meal.  we also had some friends over to play ‘yut nori.’  unfortunately, the ladies crushes the men.  and lastly, we called our elders to wish them a happy new years. now that we’re parents, our children changed into their traditional korean clothing to pay their respects to us.  in return, elders give each child a word of encouragement and wisdom and some cash as a gift.  usually, our parents are with us during the holidays so we would also bow to them.  thanks to modern technology, minhee, the kids, and i were able to bow and pay our respects to our parents via the webcam and skype program.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Filed under: asian-american, culture, family

1. Esther says:

We celebrated the New Year with over 150 friends (co-workers, prayer supporters, students, families with children, young and old, they came in groups of 25, all day round) We bowed to each other and had a real good time sharing, eating, looking at old photos and praising the Lord for His goodness and grace. It is wonderful to belong to God’s family.

2. David Park says:

sae hae bohk mahn ee bahd eu sae yo!~

3. elderj says:

yeah… what david said

4. linda k. says:

i had duhk-gook for breakfast and lunch, then more pieces of duhk smothered in sesame oil and injected with sugar after dinner. clearly, this is one of my favorite foods. it was a gluttonously glutinous day.

i really like the hanboks your kids were wearing — trendy, traditional, and contemporary. when i was that age mine was just way overly coloful and embellished, i probably blinded everyone around me.

5. gar says:

happy new year… or as Cantonese people like to say… “sun nin fai lok!” =)

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 4 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 4 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago