10 year anniversary

on february 1, 1997, at onnuri church in seoul, korea, a woman named minhee jin and i exchanged our vows as husband and wife under God’s covenant of marriage.  i was on staff at that church.  minhee was attending another church but on staff with a christian organization called duranno ministries.  i asked her out during my last week in korea; we had five very intense dates leading to a very long distance relationship.  during our wedding ceremony, i butchered the vows which was conducted in korean, my 2nd language.  embarrassingly, i mispronounced one syllable in one word during the last sentence of my vow.  the result: instead of saying, ‘i covenant my life,’ i said, ‘i will poison you…”  that may be the single most embarrassing moment of my life.

10 years, one big fat mortgage, one quasi-churchplant, one churchplant, 3 kids, and many memories later, we celebrated our ten year anniversary yesterday.  similar to my lame proposal where i dressed up in my best suit, got on my knees and proposed over the phone,  my (our) ten year celebration was a dud.

i was on my way back from chicago; picked up some near dead roses at QFC and arrived home at 7.30pm on our anniversary; wife and kids were all coughing, sneezing, and sick.  not the most romantic way to celebrate the day.  thankfully, we do have plans to take a week off near the end of this month to rest, reflect, and rejuvenate.

our journey thus far has been wonderful  but our marriage isn’t perfect.  jokingly, i often share that’s the case because she’s not perfect.  but honestly and brutally, what do you expect when two broken and depraved individuals converge together to share in the ultimate expression of ‘life together.’  the answer: combustion and explosion.  thank god for GRACE AND MERCY.

and so in that end, i can share that although our marriage hasn’t been perfect, it has been filled with Mercy and Grace.  minhee has certainly modeled those things for me.  she has exemplified jesus to me and compelled me to reciprocate His image unto her.  i admire her for many things but especially for leaving all that was comfortable and meaningful in her life in korea to live life together as my wife and life partner.  at the age of 27, she left her family, friends, church, job, homeland, and all things that resonated with her for a new life – culture, country, language – everything.  she only knew one person and that was me.

thank you minhee.  i love you.

minhee2.jpg

Filed under: family

1. chrismarlow says:

congrats man, that is so awesome…and thanks for being honest.

2. sunny says:

pastor, congratulations!

3. your friend from Korea says:

God’s big and wonderful blessings upon you! I remember your wedding vividly and still see the BEAUTY everywhere. I did not hear your misspelled word… that is the blessing of not understanding Korean perfectly, so, my weakness was strength in that moment 🙂

By the way, I am 10 years ahead of you and confess: Love intensifies with the years.

4. Jennifer says:

Our 10-year was a dud too. Jeff was flying home froma work-trip, and his plane got grounded overnight in Salt Lake City.

We celebrate 12 years next week.

5. Blake says:

Congratulations, Pastor Eugene. 🙂 Here’s to another 10 years, and another 10 after that, and another 10 after that, and well, you get the picture. 😉

Blessings upon your marriage and your family. You’ve definitely been a great model for me in terms of being a good husband and father. Thank you for that, Pastor Eugene.

6. Jason k says:

PE congrats on your real 10 year anniversary. Thank you for always being “real”, not being afraid to show your vulnerabilities, that teaches me alot about how a christian man should be. God bless you and your family. JK

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 4 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 4 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago