in 2007…i will fail

resolutions.  convictions.  goals.  hopes.

not sure what you would call them.

but it’s clear to me that the fear of failure and the fear of rejection have always been forefront as reasons that impede me from moving foward with stuff. but in the recent year or so, i’ve come to peace in knowing that I will fail — and it’s going to be ok.  I’ve come to terms that i can’t please everybody — and it’s going to be ok.  there are folks that will misunderstand me, judge me, opppose me, disagree with me, and ultimately, be incredibly disappointed with me.  at times, it will be legitimate and at other times, it will be not – but, i’ve come to terms that it’s going to be ok.

in years past, these very thoughts would  have paralyzed me and it would have been difficult to MOVE.  but, it’s going to be ok.  even with the knowledge that i will fail and disappoint, it will no longer prevent me from trying.

so, in 2007…

i will not love my wife enough but i will try to love, understand, respect, protect, and honor her.  i will not spend enough time with my kids but i will try to bathe them with guidance, affection, and tender love.  my sermons will be too long, too short, too complicated, too simple, too intellectual, too soft, too abrasive, too whatever, but i will preach and teach my heart out.  i will disappoint people within my church because of many reasons but i will try to love, teach, honor, edify, mentor, and shepherd the people of my church.  i will fail in my pursuit for mercy, justice, and humility but i will try to be merciful, just, and humble.  i will fail in a life of generous stewardship but i will try and give and live generously.   i will fail in my vow of simplicity as i at times, will be consumed by a need to spend and to upgrade.   i will fail in my commitment to honor my parents because of my selfishness or to blame them in my victim’s mentality but i will try to love, honor, respect, and care for them.  i will fail in my goal to better connect, befriend, and serve my neighbors but i will try to share and learn their stories and grow to truly be neighbors.

in 2007, i will fail.  and i don’t care, i’m still going to try.

Filed under: church, emerging church, family, seattle

1. suj'n says:

i am a huge fan of failure, pe. we are not guilty of making too many mistakes; we are guilty of making too few. and it’s the fear of failure (and thus caution) that keeps us from living freely.

hurrah! may this year be *filled* with attempts at living life to our fullest! may we embrace the 95% failure rate with gratefulness as well as the 5% of “successes” upon which we hopefully ‘fail’ to hang our pride.

2. more grace says:

As always, your message touched my heart, because you are REAL. God brought this message right in time, as a birthday gift, thank you! He showed me that He rejoiced over me when I failed AND humbled myself. He showed me that He was pleased when I humbled myself as others judged me for having failed when HE thought I did NOT. I recognized that God uses all kind of tools to humble me, and with it, I have tasted the depth of His GRACE. What tastes better than that?

3. Blake says:

Wow, P.E. That is a wonderful post. Not to sound like I’m echoing Jeff, but I can’t think of a better word than “Wonderful” 🙂

Thanks for blessing me with these thoughts, words, and beautiful reality check.

4. jojogaon says:

thank you sir. respect, jojo

5. the terlouws says:

always learning something from you P.E.

6. i needed to read this post more than you know… thanks… i have been anxiously waiting a new post from ya…
    sj

7. me says:

best post of the year.
    granted, it’s a young year.

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working