in 2007…i will fail

resolutions.  convictions.  goals.  hopes.

not sure what you would call them.

but it’s clear to me that the fear of failure and the fear of rejection have always been forefront as reasons that impede me from moving foward with stuff. but in the recent year or so, i’ve come to peace in knowing that I will fail — and it’s going to be ok.  I’ve come to terms that i can’t please everybody — and it’s going to be ok.  there are folks that will misunderstand me, judge me, opppose me, disagree with me, and ultimately, be incredibly disappointed with me.  at times, it will be legitimate and at other times, it will be not – but, i’ve come to terms that it’s going to be ok.

in years past, these very thoughts would  have paralyzed me and it would have been difficult to MOVE.  but, it’s going to be ok.  even with the knowledge that i will fail and disappoint, it will no longer prevent me from trying.

so, in 2007…

i will not love my wife enough but i will try to love, understand, respect, protect, and honor her.  i will not spend enough time with my kids but i will try to bathe them with guidance, affection, and tender love.  my sermons will be too long, too short, too complicated, too simple, too intellectual, too soft, too abrasive, too whatever, but i will preach and teach my heart out.  i will disappoint people within my church because of many reasons but i will try to love, teach, honor, edify, mentor, and shepherd the people of my church.  i will fail in my pursuit for mercy, justice, and humility but i will try to be merciful, just, and humble.  i will fail in a life of generous stewardship but i will try and give and live generously.   i will fail in my vow of simplicity as i at times, will be consumed by a need to spend and to upgrade.   i will fail in my commitment to honor my parents because of my selfishness or to blame them in my victim’s mentality but i will try to love, honor, respect, and care for them.  i will fail in my goal to better connect, befriend, and serve my neighbors but i will try to share and learn their stories and grow to truly be neighbors.

in 2007, i will fail.  and i don’t care, i’m still going to try.

Filed under: church, emerging church, family, seattle

1. suj'n says:

i am a huge fan of failure, pe. we are not guilty of making too many mistakes; we are guilty of making too few. and it’s the fear of failure (and thus caution) that keeps us from living freely.

hurrah! may this year be *filled* with attempts at living life to our fullest! may we embrace the 95% failure rate with gratefulness as well as the 5% of “successes” upon which we hopefully ‘fail’ to hang our pride.

2. more grace says:

As always, your message touched my heart, because you are REAL. God brought this message right in time, as a birthday gift, thank you! He showed me that He rejoiced over me when I failed AND humbled myself. He showed me that He was pleased when I humbled myself as others judged me for having failed when HE thought I did NOT. I recognized that God uses all kind of tools to humble me, and with it, I have tasted the depth of His GRACE. What tastes better than that?

3. Blake says:

Wow, P.E. That is a wonderful post. Not to sound like I’m echoing Jeff, but I can’t think of a better word than “Wonderful” 🙂

Thanks for blessing me with these thoughts, words, and beautiful reality check.

4. jojogaon says:

thank you sir. respect, jojo

5. the terlouws says:

always learning something from you P.E.

6. i needed to read this post more than you know… thanks… i have been anxiously waiting a new post from ya…
    sj

7. me says:

best post of the year.
    granted, it’s a young year.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.