merry christmas!

The Cho Family is too cheap to mail out letters and Christmas cards so this is their sincere attempt to extend blessings to you and yours.  If you’re interested, you can read more by reading this ‘this letter or clicking on the christmas card to see the adventures of their family this past year.

2006christmas2.jpg

The Cho Family Adventures of 2006

It’s true.  Another year has come and gone.  Like many of you, Eugene, Minhee, and their three kids have no idea how this year went by so quickly.   It seemed like just a year ago when Eugene wooed Minhee in Korea and swept her off her feet with his long flowing curly hair, vibrant hand gestures, and long monologues but alas, 9.75 years have passed by.  Indeed, in about five weeks on February 1, Eugene and Minhee will be celebrating their 10 year anniversary.  But back to this past year, the entire Cho Clan thinks it was a great year.

The kids at least, have been told it was a great year by their parents and they had great fun, have nothing to complain about, and they have great parents.  J is now in third grade.  Through her school, she enjoyed an after school drama program and continues to excel in sports and may one day honor her father’s desire for her to earn a Division I scholarship.  T joined her sister’s school this year and despite being the youngest student in her first grade class, is adjusting and enjoying her new experience.  Both Eugene and Minhee love taking turns dropping and picking them up at school.  T continues to enjoy art, jump rope, and plays a mean game of checkers.  My son turned three in June.  For a while, his parents were concerned that he was acting more like Jabba the Hut than a Jedi as he had difficulty putting a few words together into what we would normally call a sentence.  But alas, the force is strong with this one and he has made leaps and bounds in his communication to the point that his parents miss the days of his simple questions.  He attends something ridiculous called 2 day Pre-Kindergarten.  J enjoys cars, dinosaurs, crashing into things, and bugging his sisters.

Both Minhee and Eugene took one more step closer towards the looming 40 (a couple years away).  They remain committed to having one parent (this would be Minhee) remain at home until all three kids are in public school.  While there are days she wants to kick Eugene in the shins really hard because he gets to ‘work’ and enjoy free coffee daily, she really does enjoy this season of her life.  Somehow, like an amazing superhero, she enjoys her hobbies of crafts and cyworld, leads the Moms’ Group at her church, volunteers at her kids’ schools, attends BSF in Seattle, and strives to regularly pray for her husband, children, and church community.  Her mother (who lives in Korea) recently had a back injury so Minhee went to Korea to tend to her mother for couple weeks during her rehab.  Minhee returned to Seattle only to discover that Eugene fed the kids macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving dinner.  Thank God that she understands the importance of forgiveness.

Asides from his privilege of being a husband and father, Eugene continues to serve the city of Seattle and a growing church called Quest as a pastor.  The Seattle Times recently published a short ‘portrait’ of Eugene and his ministry. He also masquerades as a barista at QCafe and enjoys the perks of free coffee and free admission to the live music shows at Q.  As some of you may know, Eugene and Minhee planted Quest Church in 2001.  This past November, Quest celebrated their five year anniversary but they were unsure why people were giving them a standing ovation when they get to enjoy so much the blessings of this ministry.  Eugene also managed to keep busy by:  1) a handful of speaking gigs at churches/conferences, 2) a vision trip with a small group of pastors to Thailand, Burma, and Japan, 3) unretiring his basketball shoes to no longer allow his ruptured Achilles injury of 2003 to hold him back, and 4) starting this new blog you are currently reading.

The Cho Clan thanks you for your friendship and partnership and hope that in some way or another – email, phone, text message, or smoke signals – can continue to stay in touch.  They extend blessings to you and yours this Christmas and in 2007 and beyond.

Filed under: family, seattle

1. Nancy says:

And I thought I was up late! Enjoyed reading the Cho Family adventures. Wow, Jedi is big and no longer a roly poly Jabba.
    Have a blessed Christmas!

2. Gene S says:

Merry Christmas, Cho Family. You’re truly blessed and gifts to each other. Cherish every moment.

3. puttu says:

happy new year n merry x mas cho family…may the almighty wish u n ur family wit lot f happiness…

4. Esther says:

This is your old friend from Korea with the young heart! Thank you for your news, full of wit like always – and the picture is beautiful, especially your hair! The kids – oh they are lovely! God’s wonderful creation. Hasn’t God wonderful people?

5. the terlouws says:

merry christmas to you all. we enjoyed reading your witty letter and seeing your beautiful family too. thanks for everything you do…may god bless you in 2007.

6. Jason k says:

PE, thanks for your leadership, passion and heart. Merry Christmas. God bless you and your family this Christmas Season.

7. You are all full of news! Merry Christmas to you and a happy new year from the Dillers! God sure does keep you busy!

8. Stopher says:

I hope you had a good Christmas and that you’ll have a happy new year. Wow, the kids are getting bigger!

9. Eric Saxman says:

Cho, It is beautiful to see how your visions of family and work have been continually provided by God’s faithfulness and mercy. Thanks for including me. The last of the 4L’s not for long, sax

10. Sherrie Kendall says:

We continue to be inspired by our few years wuth you at Quest as we are committed to the growth and life at Vibrant in Portland. The children’s ministry is swelling with pregnant bellies. It is exciting, and valuable, to think back on a similar stage of life we were a part of with Q. Always, we think fondly and often of your family.

11. Sylvia Roh says:

I feel so up to date with the Cho family after reading this! Happy New Years to all of you. I miss you guys!

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 2 days ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 5 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 5 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 5 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 1 week ago