10 Best [Korean] Films pt.1

i am proud to introduce the first of a handful of lists i will share in the next 10 years entitled, “10 Best…”  I begin today by sharing a list inspired by a question someone asked in a community group i visited last night: ‘know any good korean films?’  well, i’m glad that you asked to see my 10 Best [Korean] films.  i make these recommendations not simply because i’m korean-american and have a healthy level of pride in korean art & culture but because anyone that knows anything about film can attest how the korean film industry is making some serious waves around the world.  each year, you will see an increasing number of films being entered into international film festivals (and some that have walked away with notable prizes such as oldboy in the 2004 cannes film festival).  with the emergence of asian film festivals in growing urban cities around the world,  you’ll be learning more and more about korean actors, actresses, directors, and films.

so, while it helps to have korean-americans such as yunjin kim and daniel dae [i can’t speak korean worth a lick but i’m improving] kim as very visible characters in the ever slow moving drama series, ‘lost,‘ there have been many incredible korean films especially in the past 10 years.  it is pretty significant to note that the top korean blockbusters are earning higher ticket sales in comparison to hollywood films being marketed in korea at the same time [more on this later].  as crazy as this sounds, you’ll also see a growing trend of hollywood films being adapted from korean films such as the lake house (starring keanu reeves and sandra bullock) from Il Mare, my sassy girl, friend, among others.

let me also say that in my opinion, koreans don’t do comedy and satire very well.  it’s also very possible that my korean is at such an elementary level that i just don’t get the nuances of the comedy.  this may make sense because my wife is laughing at a film and i’m laughing at her laughing at the film.  my other explanation is that korea is a country and a people with an intense history of injustice, foreign occupation, a paralyzing korean war, poverty, incredible industrial and economic revolution, and technically, north and south korea are still at WAR and remain separated and divided as two nations.

these elements come out in films as dark, painful, melodramatic, and other emotions that can be summed up by the korean cultural concept of ‘HAN.  you will not see more gutwrenching, heartfelt, painful, and authentic tears and crying than you will in korean films.  to better understand korean people and culture, you must attempt to grasp this sense of HAN.  to my knowledge, there is no fair equivalent translation that gives ‘HAN’ justice in the english language.  only two comedies (and one is easily a melodramatic comedy that leaves you in tears] made it to my top 10 list and the rest are painful stories of divided families and loyalties, human depravity, the korean war, and the north/south korea separation.

because i live in seattle, i get exposure to these films about 12-24 months after they’re released in korea.  there are several  well regarded films that are not on my list simply because i have yet to see them and this list is comprised of films i have seen with my own eyes.  lastly, i want to share that one of the reasons why i’m sharing this list is not simply because i’m a proud korean-american.  this is my small effort to encourage folks to enjoy the larger global world that we live in.  art, film, and culture that are emerging throughout the world give us a glimpse into the soul of different nations and people.

click here to see the list of my top 10 korean films [i’ve seen]

Filed under: asian-american, culture

1. BK says:

Great resource for Korean films and dramas:

2. leah says:

great book! used it for my christology final. park is also rumored to be working on a systematic theology series…can’t wait.

3. e cho says:

i want my book back leah!

4. Rebecca says:

no, Leah, give it to me…I want to read it and I can’t find it in the library online catalog. What’s up with that?

5. cp says:

i love your list but there’s one movie that’s missing…and this movie should be #1 on the list.

it’s called “Failan”

this movie affected me in so many different ways…in so may different levels. it’s about appreciating the things that surround us that we tend to ignore every day. this is a love story but a love story where the two people who fall in love never meets.

there’s sad movies where you shed a tear here and a tear there but at the end of the movie…after the credits finish…i found myself, literally sobbing for a good 15 minutes.

after the movie was over…after my tears, i wound up looking for my wife and child and gave them a big…big…caring hug for “failan” made me appreciate what God has blessed me with.

6. […] ricky bobby’ and enjoy these films.  if you haven’t already, you’ll want to read part I in an earlier blog entry to better understand the context of this 10 best korean films [i’ve […]

7. brokenheartedseoul says:

Eugene. I haven’t been up on WordPress for a very long time, but I’ve managed to check out a couple of blogs here and there when I’ve had time. Without a doubt, none have been as moving, authentic, creative and compelling as this one. I lived in Korea just recently and I find myself more and more interested in understanding the culture, learning Korean, and quite simply making Korean friends. In fact, it is essential to overcoming the sorrow that I experienced while living in Seoul. Korea will forever be a part of who I am.

I’m also at a major crossroads in my life and have been praying deeply for direction. To be even more honest, I’ve been giving up on God. I’m grateful to have stumbled upon your blog. You’re doing some extraordinarily great things and I’m eager to continue to check back on this site to see what you’ll have to say. I think, as a young person, one of the strongest ways that we learn is from the examples of others. Its hard to grow up sometimes. I’ve only read through this site for the very first time, but because I’ve gone through such utter hopelessness, it just feels like a special moment to me. I hope you’ll have some thoughts on the experiences I’ve posted on my blog, and I also hope to be able to learn from your example.

Oh yeah! After seeing the preview, I think I’m gonna have to check out ‘Heart of the Game’ and when I get together with my girlfriend (who is half-korean) I’m gonna make sure we check out some of those Korean films. All the best! I look forward to hearing back from you. God Bless.

Tiger

8. e cho says:

tiger: thanks for stopping by. i’ll shoot you an email directly.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 20 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 21 hours ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 3 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 3 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago