10 Best [Korean] Films pt.1

i am proud to introduce the first of a handful of lists i will share in the next 10 years entitled, “10 Best…”  I begin today by sharing a list inspired by a question someone asked in a community group i visited last night: ‘know any good korean films?’  well, i’m glad that you asked to see my 10 Best [Korean] films.  i make these recommendations not simply because i’m korean-american and have a healthy level of pride in korean art & culture but because anyone that knows anything about film can attest how the korean film industry is making some serious waves around the world.  each year, you will see an increasing number of films being entered into international film festivals (and some that have walked away with notable prizes such as oldboy in the 2004 cannes film festival).  with the emergence of asian film festivals in growing urban cities around the world,  you’ll be learning more and more about korean actors, actresses, directors, and films.

so, while it helps to have korean-americans such as yunjin kim and daniel dae [i can’t speak korean worth a lick but i’m improving] kim as very visible characters in the ever slow moving drama series, ‘lost,‘ there have been many incredible korean films especially in the past 10 years.  it is pretty significant to note that the top korean blockbusters are earning higher ticket sales in comparison to hollywood films being marketed in korea at the same time [more on this later].  as crazy as this sounds, you’ll also see a growing trend of hollywood films being adapted from korean films such as the lake house (starring keanu reeves and sandra bullock) from Il Mare, my sassy girl, friend, among others.

let me also say that in my opinion, koreans don’t do comedy and satire very well.  it’s also very possible that my korean is at such an elementary level that i just don’t get the nuances of the comedy.  this may make sense because my wife is laughing at a film and i’m laughing at her laughing at the film.  my other explanation is that korea is a country and a people with an intense history of injustice, foreign occupation, a paralyzing korean war, poverty, incredible industrial and economic revolution, and technically, north and south korea are still at WAR and remain separated and divided as two nations.

these elements come out in films as dark, painful, melodramatic, and other emotions that can be summed up by the korean cultural concept of ‘HAN.  you will not see more gutwrenching, heartfelt, painful, and authentic tears and crying than you will in korean films.  to better understand korean people and culture, you must attempt to grasp this sense of HAN.  to my knowledge, there is no fair equivalent translation that gives ‘HAN’ justice in the english language.  only two comedies (and one is easily a melodramatic comedy that leaves you in tears] made it to my top 10 list and the rest are painful stories of divided families and loyalties, human depravity, the korean war, and the north/south korea separation.

because i live in seattle, i get exposure to these films about 12-24 months after they’re released in korea.  there are several  well regarded films that are not on my list simply because i have yet to see them and this list is comprised of films i have seen with my own eyes.  lastly, i want to share that one of the reasons why i’m sharing this list is not simply because i’m a proud korean-american.  this is my small effort to encourage folks to enjoy the larger global world that we live in.  art, film, and culture that are emerging throughout the world give us a glimpse into the soul of different nations and people.

click here to see the list of my top 10 korean films [i’ve seen]

Filed under: asian-american, culture

1. BK says:

Great resource for Korean films and dramas:

2. leah says:

great book! used it for my christology final. park is also rumored to be working on a systematic theology series…can’t wait.

3. e cho says:

i want my book back leah!

4. Rebecca says:

no, Leah, give it to me…I want to read it and I can’t find it in the library online catalog. What’s up with that?

5. cp says:

i love your list but there’s one movie that’s missing…and this movie should be #1 on the list.

it’s called “Failan”

this movie affected me in so many different ways…in so may different levels. it’s about appreciating the things that surround us that we tend to ignore every day. this is a love story but a love story where the two people who fall in love never meets.

there’s sad movies where you shed a tear here and a tear there but at the end of the movie…after the credits finish…i found myself, literally sobbing for a good 15 minutes.

after the movie was over…after my tears, i wound up looking for my wife and child and gave them a big…big…caring hug for “failan” made me appreciate what God has blessed me with.

6. […] ricky bobby’ and enjoy these films.  if you haven’t already, you’ll want to read part I in an earlier blog entry to better understand the context of this 10 best korean films [i’ve […]

7. brokenheartedseoul says:

Eugene. I haven’t been up on WordPress for a very long time, but I’ve managed to check out a couple of blogs here and there when I’ve had time. Without a doubt, none have been as moving, authentic, creative and compelling as this one. I lived in Korea just recently and I find myself more and more interested in understanding the culture, learning Korean, and quite simply making Korean friends. In fact, it is essential to overcoming the sorrow that I experienced while living in Seoul. Korea will forever be a part of who I am.

I’m also at a major crossroads in my life and have been praying deeply for direction. To be even more honest, I’ve been giving up on God. I’m grateful to have stumbled upon your blog. You’re doing some extraordinarily great things and I’m eager to continue to check back on this site to see what you’ll have to say. I think, as a young person, one of the strongest ways that we learn is from the examples of others. Its hard to grow up sometimes. I’ve only read through this site for the very first time, but because I’ve gone through such utter hopelessness, it just feels like a special moment to me. I hope you’ll have some thoughts on the experiences I’ve posted on my blog, and I also hope to be able to learn from your example.

Oh yeah! After seeing the preview, I think I’m gonna have to check out ‘Heart of the Game’ and when I get together with my girlfriend (who is half-korean) I’m gonna make sure we check out some of those Korean films. All the best! I look forward to hearing back from you. God Bless.

Tiger

8. e cho says:

tiger: thanks for stopping by. i’ll shoot you an email directly.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 10 hours ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 2 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 2 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 2 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 3 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago