barack obama for president?

Well, the momentum is clearly building for Senator Barack Obama.  I have yet to read through his book, The Audacity of Hope, but  have only heard raving reviews.  Some celebrities have jumped on the bandwagon and the media knows a good story if there is one.  I’m seeing Mr. Obama left and right.  He has certainly impacted a growing number of folks at our church as well.  He’s popping up in blogs, conversations, and was even quoted on a recent Sunday morning at church.  He first came up in a conversation while the staff drove up to Vancouver, BC to listen to a Miroslav Volf lecture.  The question was posed in this manner:  “What will America see first:  a female president or an African American president?”

Most agreed a female president simply because there are more women than African Americans in the US.  But who knew that Mr. Obama would emerge to be such a viable political, social, and pop-culture figure?  But having said that, I’m not sure if I’m alone in thinking this but as a minority in this country, I just get afraid for Barack.  I know the USA is an incredible country; I could build a solid case that it’s the best country in the world but I’m not naive and stupid in thinking that racism and prejudice aren’t still pervasive – both in blatant or subtle ways.  This past weekend while talking with David Cho, a Quester, a professor at University Puget Sound, and leader of the Quest Faith & Race classes, I shared with him the root of my fear:  I am afraid for Mr. Obama’s life.   I hate thinking this!  While I have no doubts that the larger America can handle the idea of a black president, I don’t know if individuals can and fear possible attempts on his life.

While surfing, I read what I thought was an incredibly articulate post from a Jelani Greenidge, a young African-American musician, producer, emcee, and writer from Portland, Oregon.  He writes an open letter to Barack Obama sharing his reasons why Obama should run for the presidency:

And I felt it again today, thumbing through the prologue of The Audacity of Hope. It’s a nagging feeling, really. The inevitable sense of unrest that accompanies the habitual repression of deep desire. In this case, it’s the desire for our broader American culture to be healed of it’s racial and political divide.

Señor Senator, you convinced me with those first few pages that you have what it takes to help facilitate that healing process on a national scale. And despite grumblings aplenty that stick-in-the-mud pundits (read: realists) have been offering about your lack of Senate experience, I think you have the potential to wage an effective presidential campaign. Not only that, but I think an Obama presidency would galvanize our country, bringing a balm of civility and discourse that is critically absent from today’s political landscape.

For these reasons (and because I’m not afraid to jump on a good bandwagon when I see one), I urge you — please, run for president. I know it’ll be a gut-wrenching, soul-searching ordeal, but you’re the right man at the right time.

The entire post is worth reading!  This is not my personal endorsement of Mr. Obama and his presidency.  I am still reading and learning more about him but the more I learn, the more I am compelled by his substance and passion.   Regardless, it is now very lear that he will be a mover and shaker in the things to come – clearly in this country, and possibly, around the world.

Filed under: politics

1. Unjin Lee says:

PE

As you know, I am a huge fan of Senator Obama. I am almost finished reading, “The Audacity of Hope” and I am so impressed by his honest, personable, intelligent ability to call people to recognize the polarizing and devisive politics that are bringing so much pain and despair to the U.S. as well as around the globe.

This keynote address was shared at Jim Wallis/Sojourners’ Call to Renewal conference last summer and can also be found in his book. I thought you would be interested in hearing more about his personal faith and how he believes faith and politics must converge.

Barack the Vote!

2. jeff lam says:

all i have to say is, i love barack obama.

3. Blake says:

Wow. This guy really is showing up everywhere. I’d never heard of him until this past year and now it seems he’s all I read about. 🙂

I’ll have to look into this guy… If he is what he seems to be, I agree that he could definitely bring a refreshing wind into American politics.

God’s will be done…

4. Jin says:

Its the Oprah effect.

5. Jin says:

…not to take anything away from his accomplishments and qualifications.

6. eugenecho says:

oprah?
    do i need to mention oprah’s movie, ‘Beloved.’
    the oprah effect is dead.

7. leah says:

we are not given a spirit of fear,
    let us pursue instead the ‘audacity of hope’.
    barack the vote!

(hmm…that could be the next t.shirt…)

8. david says:

i want to hug barack. and not let go for a long time. is that weird?

9. gar says:

Seeing Barack Obama run for prez would be awesome, but yeah, it is scary to think of the possibility of something bad happening.

On a sidenote, I think his lack of Senate experience is actually a positive… Washington politics has a way of corrupting of just about anybody who stays there for too long.

10. nicole says:

This reminds me that once I have time to read again (when will that be? I’m not sure.) I want to read The Audacity of Hope. It is exciting and a bit scary to think of the possibilities that we really could see not only an African American presidential candidate, but one with such honesty and integrity. This also reminds me to keep him in prayer, as he is more and more in the public eye, and also more and more likely to be under spiritual attack.

11. […] to hear from him and others – beyond the typical political rhetoric.  But as I wrote months ago, I still get scared for Obama’s life.  I hate even thinking those […]

12. […] assassination plot on obama? When Barack Obama first announced his candidacy for the President of the United States, I was excited about the possibility of a person of color simply running for the highest office in the US.  Then after thinking, I got really scared.  Really scared for his life and I shared about it here and here. […]

Junior high - Check
14th birthday - Check
Tallest in family - Check
Selfie Master - Check

Still my baby son! This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism.