barack obama for president?

Well, the momentum is clearly building for Senator Barack Obama.  I have yet to read through his book, The Audacity of Hope, but  have only heard raving reviews.  Some celebrities have jumped on the bandwagon and the media knows a good story if there is one.  I’m seeing Mr. Obama left and right.  He has certainly impacted a growing number of folks at our church as well.  He’s popping up in blogs, conversations, and was even quoted on a recent Sunday morning at church.  He first came up in a conversation while the staff drove up to Vancouver, BC to listen to a Miroslav Volf lecture.  The question was posed in this manner:  “What will America see first:  a female president or an African American president?”

Most agreed a female president simply because there are more women than African Americans in the US.  But who knew that Mr. Obama would emerge to be such a viable political, social, and pop-culture figure?  But having said that, I’m not sure if I’m alone in thinking this but as a minority in this country, I just get afraid for Barack.  I know the USA is an incredible country; I could build a solid case that it’s the best country in the world but I’m not naive and stupid in thinking that racism and prejudice aren’t still pervasive – both in blatant or subtle ways.  This past weekend while talking with David Cho, a Quester, a professor at University Puget Sound, and leader of the Quest Faith & Race classes, I shared with him the root of my fear:  I am afraid for Mr. Obama’s life.   I hate thinking this!  While I have no doubts that the larger America can handle the idea of a black president, I don’t know if individuals can and fear possible attempts on his life.

While surfing, I read what I thought was an incredibly articulate post from a Jelani Greenidge, a young African-American musician, producer, emcee, and writer from Portland, Oregon.  He writes an open letter to Barack Obama sharing his reasons why Obama should run for the presidency:

And I felt it again today, thumbing through the prologue of The Audacity of Hope. It’s a nagging feeling, really. The inevitable sense of unrest that accompanies the habitual repression of deep desire. In this case, it’s the desire for our broader American culture to be healed of it’s racial and political divide.

Señor Senator, you convinced me with those first few pages that you have what it takes to help facilitate that healing process on a national scale. And despite grumblings aplenty that stick-in-the-mud pundits (read: realists) have been offering about your lack of Senate experience, I think you have the potential to wage an effective presidential campaign. Not only that, but I think an Obama presidency would galvanize our country, bringing a balm of civility and discourse that is critically absent from today’s political landscape.

For these reasons (and because I’m not afraid to jump on a good bandwagon when I see one), I urge you — please, run for president. I know it’ll be a gut-wrenching, soul-searching ordeal, but you’re the right man at the right time.

The entire post is worth reading!  This is not my personal endorsement of Mr. Obama and his presidency.  I am still reading and learning more about him but the more I learn, the more I am compelled by his substance and passion.   Regardless, it is now very lear that he will be a mover and shaker in the things to come – clearly in this country, and possibly, around the world.

Filed under: politics

1. Unjin Lee says:

PE

As you know, I am a huge fan of Senator Obama. I am almost finished reading, “The Audacity of Hope” and I am so impressed by his honest, personable, intelligent ability to call people to recognize the polarizing and devisive politics that are bringing so much pain and despair to the U.S. as well as around the globe.

This keynote address was shared at Jim Wallis/Sojourners’ Call to Renewal conference last summer and can also be found in his book. I thought you would be interested in hearing more about his personal faith and how he believes faith and politics must converge.

Barack the Vote!

2. jeff lam says:

all i have to say is, i love barack obama.

3. Blake says:

Wow. This guy really is showing up everywhere. I’d never heard of him until this past year and now it seems he’s all I read about. 🙂

I’ll have to look into this guy… If he is what he seems to be, I agree that he could definitely bring a refreshing wind into American politics.

God’s will be done…

4. Jin says:

Its the Oprah effect.

5. Jin says:

…not to take anything away from his accomplishments and qualifications.

6. eugenecho says:

oprah?
    do i need to mention oprah’s movie, ‘Beloved.’
    the oprah effect is dead.

7. leah says:

we are not given a spirit of fear,
    let us pursue instead the ‘audacity of hope’.
    barack the vote!

(hmm…that could be the next t.shirt…)

8. david says:

i want to hug barack. and not let go for a long time. is that weird?

9. gar says:

Seeing Barack Obama run for prez would be awesome, but yeah, it is scary to think of the possibility of something bad happening.

On a sidenote, I think his lack of Senate experience is actually a positive… Washington politics has a way of corrupting of just about anybody who stays there for too long.

10. nicole says:

This reminds me that once I have time to read again (when will that be? I’m not sure.) I want to read The Audacity of Hope. It is exciting and a bit scary to think of the possibilities that we really could see not only an African American presidential candidate, but one with such honesty and integrity. This also reminds me to keep him in prayer, as he is more and more in the public eye, and also more and more likely to be under spiritual attack.

11. […] to hear from him and others – beyond the typical political rhetoric.  But as I wrote months ago, I still get scared for Obama’s life.  I hate even thinking those […]

12. […] assassination plot on obama? When Barack Obama first announced his candidacy for the President of the United States, I was excited about the possibility of a person of color simply running for the highest office in the US.  Then after thinking, I got really scared.  Really scared for his life and I shared about it here and here. […]

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• RT @mrmedina: When Bryan Stevenson speaks, we do well to listen. https://t.co/o5GJD0KWR2 || 12 hours ago
  • "Mourn with those who mourn." Lifting up the people of Sierra Leone in prayers. Hundreds dead and many more missing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 14 hours ago
  • Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 1 day ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 2 days ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 3 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 5 days ago