barack obama for president?

Well, the momentum is clearly building for Senator Barack Obama.  I have yet to read through his book, The Audacity of Hope, but  have only heard raving reviews.  Some celebrities have jumped on the bandwagon and the media knows a good story if there is one.  I’m seeing Mr. Obama left and right.  He has certainly impacted a growing number of folks at our church as well.  He’s popping up in blogs, conversations, and was even quoted on a recent Sunday morning at church.  He first came up in a conversation while the staff drove up to Vancouver, BC to listen to a Miroslav Volf lecture.  The question was posed in this manner:  “What will America see first:  a female president or an African American president?”

Most agreed a female president simply because there are more women than African Americans in the US.  But who knew that Mr. Obama would emerge to be such a viable political, social, and pop-culture figure?  But having said that, I’m not sure if I’m alone in thinking this but as a minority in this country, I just get afraid for Barack.  I know the USA is an incredible country; I could build a solid case that it’s the best country in the world but I’m not naive and stupid in thinking that racism and prejudice aren’t still pervasive – both in blatant or subtle ways.  This past weekend while talking with David Cho, a Quester, a professor at University Puget Sound, and leader of the Quest Faith & Race classes, I shared with him the root of my fear:  I am afraid for Mr. Obama’s life.   I hate thinking this!  While I have no doubts that the larger America can handle the idea of a black president, I don’t know if individuals can and fear possible attempts on his life.

While surfing, I read what I thought was an incredibly articulate post from a Jelani Greenidge, a young African-American musician, producer, emcee, and writer from Portland, Oregon.  He writes an open letter to Barack Obama sharing his reasons why Obama should run for the presidency:

And I felt it again today, thumbing through the prologue of The Audacity of Hope. It’s a nagging feeling, really. The inevitable sense of unrest that accompanies the habitual repression of deep desire. In this case, it’s the desire for our broader American culture to be healed of it’s racial and political divide.

Señor Senator, you convinced me with those first few pages that you have what it takes to help facilitate that healing process on a national scale. And despite grumblings aplenty that stick-in-the-mud pundits (read: realists) have been offering about your lack of Senate experience, I think you have the potential to wage an effective presidential campaign. Not only that, but I think an Obama presidency would galvanize our country, bringing a balm of civility and discourse that is critically absent from today’s political landscape.

For these reasons (and because I’m not afraid to jump on a good bandwagon when I see one), I urge you — please, run for president. I know it’ll be a gut-wrenching, soul-searching ordeal, but you’re the right man at the right time.

The entire post is worth reading!  This is not my personal endorsement of Mr. Obama and his presidency.  I am still reading and learning more about him but the more I learn, the more I am compelled by his substance and passion.   Regardless, it is now very lear that he will be a mover and shaker in the things to come – clearly in this country, and possibly, around the world.

Filed under: politics

1. Unjin Lee says:

PE

As you know, I am a huge fan of Senator Obama. I am almost finished reading, “The Audacity of Hope” and I am so impressed by his honest, personable, intelligent ability to call people to recognize the polarizing and devisive politics that are bringing so much pain and despair to the U.S. as well as around the globe.

This keynote address was shared at Jim Wallis/Sojourners’ Call to Renewal conference last summer and can also be found in his book. I thought you would be interested in hearing more about his personal faith and how he believes faith and politics must converge.

Barack the Vote!

2. jeff lam says:

all i have to say is, i love barack obama.

3. Blake says:

Wow. This guy really is showing up everywhere. I’d never heard of him until this past year and now it seems he’s all I read about. 🙂

I’ll have to look into this guy… If he is what he seems to be, I agree that he could definitely bring a refreshing wind into American politics.

God’s will be done…

4. Jin says:

Its the Oprah effect.

5. Jin says:

…not to take anything away from his accomplishments and qualifications.

6. eugenecho says:

oprah?
    do i need to mention oprah’s movie, ‘Beloved.’
    the oprah effect is dead.

7. leah says:

we are not given a spirit of fear,
    let us pursue instead the ‘audacity of hope’.
    barack the vote!

(hmm…that could be the next t.shirt…)

8. david says:

i want to hug barack. and not let go for a long time. is that weird?

9. gar says:

Seeing Barack Obama run for prez would be awesome, but yeah, it is scary to think of the possibility of something bad happening.

On a sidenote, I think his lack of Senate experience is actually a positive… Washington politics has a way of corrupting of just about anybody who stays there for too long.

10. nicole says:

This reminds me that once I have time to read again (when will that be? I’m not sure.) I want to read The Audacity of Hope. It is exciting and a bit scary to think of the possibilities that we really could see not only an African American presidential candidate, but one with such honesty and integrity. This also reminds me to keep him in prayer, as he is more and more in the public eye, and also more and more likely to be under spiritual attack.

11. […] to hear from him and others – beyond the typical political rhetoric.  But as I wrote months ago, I still get scared for Obama’s life.  I hate even thinking those […]

12. […] assassination plot on obama? When Barack Obama first announced his candidacy for the President of the United States, I was excited about the possibility of a person of color simply running for the highest office in the US.  Then after thinking, I got really scared.  Really scared for his life and I shared about it here and here. […]

"He Makes All Things New." In other words, Christ is our eternal hope. I'm sitting in my swinging bench on the comforts of my front porch after an exhilarating and exhausting day at church. It never gets tiring, stale, or old to preach and proclaim the good news of the Gospel - not just on Resurrection Sunday but every week as we gather as the body of Christ.

But it was this picture of Coptic Christians in Egypt pouring into churches on Easter Sunday that deeply moved my heart...just a week after two churches were bombed by ISIS terrorists taking 45 lives and injuring hundreds.

Even in the face of persecution and suffering, I'm so grateful for the witness of these sisters and brothers in Christ. May they be comforted and strengthened...and wherever you are reading this post, stay encouraged. Be faithful and steadfast. Don't give up. May we keep running the race set before us as we fix our eyes on Christ.

It's not just there. It's all over the world...God is still at work. The Holy Spirit is still moving. God is not yet done. There's only one explanation:
Christ has risen! He has risen, indeed! Jesus is alive! Hallelujah! #OneChurch Remember, there is no Resurrection without the Crucifixion; No Easter Sunday without Passion Friday; No empty tomb without the Cross.

So, before we move too swiftly to the celebration of the risen Christ, may we sit at the foot of the Cross...and consider the depths of His sacrifice and love. "Oh, what love is this..." Just when we think we get what it means to follow Him, Jesus washes the feet of His disciples including...the one He knew would betray Him,

and the one that would deny him,

and the others that would abandon Him in His greatest need.

What amazing love.
What amazing grace. Oh. What. Amazing. Grace. M(inhee) + E(ugene). Not taking anything for granted. 20 years = 7300 days = 175,200 hours. A flourishing  marriage doesn't just happen. The idea that two Christians who choose to get married will produce a Christ honoring marriage is a gigantic myth. Its also extremely dangerous. The truth is that it takes so much intentionality and work. Intimacy definitely includes physical touch but is not only about physical touch. We have to pray, read, listen, learn, mutually submit, confess, forgive, repent, laugh, dream, rest, play, and the list goes on.

In other words, we have to keep Christ at the center because it's inevitable, there's a lot of messing up. So much messing up. It's both beautiful and painful and without grace, it's impossible.

Grateful. Thank you, Jesus, for your grace. And thank you, Minhee...

• Take heart. Press on. Be encouraged. Christ is still risen. || 1 day ago
  • It's not Easter. Crowds may be smaller. But may we preach the Gospel w/ deep conviction; That we truly believe that the tomb is still empty. || 1 day ago
  • Looking for a church in Seattle? Join us tomorrow to hear a word from this woman of God. The tomb is still empty! twitter.com/LizVerHage/sta… || 1 day ago
  • The degradation of our environment impacts all but the reality is that poor communities suffer most...perpetuating the injustice of poverty. || 1 day ago
  • Caring for God's creation should always be part of our stewardship. In other words, it's not optional but an essential part of discipleship. || 1 day ago
  • Fantastic @CTmagazine piece about @gailsongbantum, Executive Pastor @SeattleQuest. Inspired by her story/leadership: christianitytoday.com/women-leaders/… || 2 days ago