Pointing our children to Jesus – with words, affection, and actions. One of those greatest days of my life.

Grateful. Deeply grateful.

This past week, at our church’s “Day Retreat”, marked another of  those memorable “one of the greatest days of my life.”

Life has been busy and hectic and there are days when Minhee and I feel exhausted but it feels good to be investing in the things we deeply care about. It’s not an empty tiredness but a gratifying tiredness. Does that make sense?

An example of this is the joy, privilege, and burden of parenting, nurturing, raising, and empowering our three children.

We obviously love all of our children but our second child, Trinity, has a special place in our hearts because she was born at one of the lowest points of my life. We had left our previous church months ago (before her birth in 2000) with the conviction and call to plant a church but we had no idea how difficult the new year would be:

• I was unemployed and had been looking for work for several months
  • We were financially broke
  • The kids were on foods stamps and the WIC program
  • I felt like a failure for letting down my wife and kids since I felt like I couldn’t provide for them
  • The job I eventually got was working as a custodian at a retail store
  • I had grown increasingly angry and frustrated about not being able to get Quest Church off the ground

Mostly, I was angry because I had “lost” control over my life.

When Trinity was born, it was like a “miraculous” birth.  She was born in about 4 minutes after Minhee laid on the hospital bed.  There were no drugs, no epidural, and no doctor.  She experienced sharp pain, pushed several times, and the next thing you know, the nurse and I – in panic and frenzy – saw the crown, then the body, and then Minhee and I cried like we’ve never cried before.  We sensed God speaking to us so intimately:

“I love you.  I am with you.  I have not forgotten you.”

This past week, we experienced another new and miraculous birth in Trinity.

While faith and formation has been a part of her young life thus far, she had becoming increasingly growing in her ownership over her faith in Jesus and at the age of 11 chose to be baptized.

And so, I again – with Minhee, her sibilings, and in the fellowship of her former children’s ministry pastor, and her church community – we collectively experienced this amazing moment. Trinity shared her faith story, confessed her sins, professed her love for Jesus, and was baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

What an amazing day.
One of the greatest days of my lives.

As parents, Minhee and I, obviously want the best for our children. We do our best – even as broken and imperfect parents – to provide for our children in many ways: food, shelter, clothing, education, etc. Those things matter – no doubt.

But we’ve learned that nothing is more important than pointing them to Jesus – with words, with affection, and with actions.

Thank you, Jesus, for your amazing grace.
Thank you, Jesus, for Trinity and our children.
Thank you, Jesus, for the joy of our family and our church.

Thank you.

[baptism photos courtesy of Joseph Lee]

Filed under:

1. Josephine Kim says:

Trinity is beautiful, and so are your words. Thank you, Pastor Eugene, for again reminding us of what truly matters in life…

• Eugene Cho says:

Thank you, Josephine.

I trust that you’re well and enjoying the new chapter of parenthood.

Would love to visit you at Harvard one of these days. I think I’m visiting Boston for a speaking engagement in the Fall…

2. Daniel says:

Thank YOU for sharing.

3. Bok says:

That is so Awesome PE!

4. hilsonthomas says:

Hey, that must be the most awesome feeling in the world. I have two girls, but the oldest is only three so we have a way to go yet. But I too feel the calling to plant a church, and am hopeful that it will be happening sooner rather than later.

5. Such a beautiful post, Eugene. I have a very close relationship with my own Dad, and there is something special between a father-and-his-girl. Love that you are marking this moment for her and with her. So lovely.

6. aussiemonica says:

Very encouraging esp as I have an 11yr old Trinity too!

7. bill says:

Ah. So tender. Thank you. From one Dad to another.

8. Jumy says:

Thank you for sharing this… Very encouraging and deeply moved to pray for more of Him.

9. Karen says:

This is so beautiful. I loved it. While I was unable to fully participate because I had a running toddler at the moment, it was a privilege to witness Trinity’s baptism. The joy you felt was not lost on me :) Thanks so much for sharing this!

10. diane says:

What a beautiful story ~ how special! Always appreciate your real authenticity & tenderness, Eugene… keep it going, Diane

11. Alice says:

in the midst of reading this post, God simultaneously spoke about two areas of my life, all to say that He is good! thanks for continuing to post on here!

This is real life. #endit #modernslavery #fightinjustice

If you've ever prayed, donated, shared our stories, prayed, launched a campaign for @onedayswages - YOU made this possible. Our matching grant with @theexodusroad allowed us to support a portion of school fees for 11 young trafficking survivors in Thailand. For obvious reasons, we can't show their faces but we do what we do because we believe every person is created in the image of God. Honored to partner with The Exodus Road and others to play a small part in the restoration of these young kids. Wow. Seattle clouds. Backyard.

Stop for God's beauty, mystery, and glory. My prayer for my kids: Love God. Love people. And be there for one another for life. Most of us take water for granted.  It's as easy as turning on our faucet but approximately 748 million people in the world still lack access to clean water. This past December,  I had the privilege of visiting Myanmar and vividly remember walking the journey of what many have to do when they go to a nearby pond to get their water. As you can imagine, many get sick... We can't change the entire world but we can impact the world of some and most importantly, be changed ourselves. Partner with @onedayswages @worldconcern @miir to come alongside 7 villages in Myanmar that were devastated by Cyclone Nargis in 2008. - http://onedayswages.org Couple special days encouraging pastors and leaders from the beautiful state of Montana. Took some personal time for self-care to hike up this cliff. @SeattleQuest is on the move! Lots of mixed emotions but grateful for God's provision. We hope to move in to our new home this October.

Visit eugenecho.com to read the details and how you can pray for us.

• In his final week, Jesus borrowed a donkey, washed dirty feet, forgave his enemies & went to the Cross. This is LOVE: wp.me/pT6R-2N7 || 3 hours ago
  • The question we must ask isn't , "Was Jesus King?" but rather, "What kind of King was Jesus?" Our answer makes all the difference. || 1 day ago
  • On Palm Sunday, they shouted "Hosanna!". A week later, they shouted "Crucify him!" Be steadfast. Be faithful. Even when the crowds turn. || 1 day ago
  • Notre Dame needed Tyus Edney. || 1 day ago
  • C'mon Notre Dame! Do this. Whatever you do, don't pass the ball at the 1 yard line. Run the ball. Go Beast Mode. || 1 day ago
  • Thank you, @NickKristof. for your balanced article on evangelicals who let their walking be their preaching: nytimes.com/2015/03/29/opi… || 1 day ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,194 other followers