Get outside. Be creative. Dream. Create something. The story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy and Caine’s Arcade.

Dear friends, readers, strangers, and blog stalkers: I try to be careful with overly extreme outrageous over-the-top superlatives but the story of Caine’s Arcade and its 9-year-old founder, Caine, might be one of the greatest things I’ve ever read or seen.

This story of not judging a book by its cover was cool, too, but wow…this is amazing. No joke.

First, do yourself a HUGE favor and watch the video. I guarantee it’ll be worth your 11 minutes or I will pay you $2 for your very own “Fun Pass” (this will make sense later). Money back guarantee.

Who is Caine and what is Caine’s Arcade?

Caine Monroy is a 9-year old boy who spent his summer vacation building an elaborate DIY cardboard arcade in his dad’s used auto parts store.

Caine dreamed of the day he would have lots of customers visit his arcade, and he spent months preparing everything, perfecting the game design, making displays for the prizes, designing elaborate security systems, and hand labeling paper-lunch-gift-bags. However, his dad’s autoparts store (located in an industrial part of East LA) gets almost zero foot traffic, so Caine’s chances of getting a customer were very small, and the few walk in customers that came through were always in too much of a hurry to get their auto part to play Caine’s Arcade. But Caine never gave up.

One day, by chance, I walked into Smart Parts Auto looking for a used door handle for my ’96 Corolla. What I found was an elaborate handmade cardboard arcade manned by a young boy who asked if I would like to play. I asked Caine how it worked and he told me that for $1 I could get two turns, or for $2 I could get a Fun Pass with 500 turns. I got the Fun Pass. (via Caine’s Arcade)

Here are my 10 random thoughts:

1. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome.
  2. I love Caine’s smile.
  3. I love his father. Our kids need fathers and mothers. Parents and parent figures that encourage, edify, empower, and build up.
  4. The arcade truly is ingenious. Brilliant. Incredible. So smart. So detailed.
  5. I would totally go and play at his arcade. And of course, I’d get the “Fun Pass.”
  6. Forget Instagram. This guy is going to do some something crazy someday.
  7. I love the storytelling. Props. And I love that there’s a college fund started for Caine. On the 1st day that this video was released and a college fund set up, they raised $25,000
  8. Regarding #7, I gave a few bucks towards his college fund. I feel like it’ll one of the best investments I make.
  9. I want to show this to every single child and teenager (and for that matter: even grown ups) who are spending way too many hours on the internet, watching  youtube, LOL catz, watching television, and glued to their gadgets.
  10. Get out people. Be creative. Be entrepreneurial! The world is our playground…and it comes with cardboard boxes

Pursue your dreams and passions! Do it and I’ll invest $2 towards your idea!

I’m serious. I’ll send you $2 to be your first investor.

Your thoughts?

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Austin Gilly says:

This is incredible. I love the creativity, and I think that what makes Cain so special is that his dad encourages him. To me that shows the importance of fatherhood.

2. Thanks for sharing this, Eugene.

It’s inspirational that Caine believed so much in this arcade that he put so much work, detail, and belief into it. Secondly it’s incredible to me that Nirvan took the time to notice, encourage, and ‘see’ the kid – then he took the time to come back use his ‘fun pass’, then he took the time to expose Caine to the goodness that is so often hard to find in this world. This event, this simple event, has quite possibly changed the trajectory of Caine’s life. Incredibly inspiring.

3. jbledsoejr says:

Wow! Great story! We are a homeschool family and we continually look forward to our kids doing creative, crazy things similar to Caine and his arcade. We encourage them to use their imagination and skills to create solutions to problems…no matter the obstacle.

• Eugene Cho says:

Share some of your ideas with us! Always looking for ways to engage our kids beyond technology…

• jbledsoejr says:

I will…one thing we’ve done the past couple years is our kids have run a Lemonade Stand in conjunction with the annual Lemonade Day program, and they selected a nonprofit org to share their Lemonade sale profits with. We’ll be doing that again this year, but we plan to help our kids come up with a way(s) to extend the support for their selected cause throughout the year past the Lemonade Day event.

Once we come up with a plan we’ll be sharing.

4. Bobby Minor says:

Dude I love it! I’m actually in the middle of writing a blog post titled “Ignorance is Bliss” and I’m talking about how sometimes it’s better not to know all of the reasons something won’t work, and then I stumble across this post and am blown away by Caine’s story. I thank God his father didn’t give him all of the reasons not to do it and not only allowed him to, but actually encouraged him. I am inspired!

5. […] Get outside. Be creative. Dream. Create something. The story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy and Caine&#8… (eugenecho.com) […]

6. jendodgson says:

Reblogged this on Young Writers @ The Loft and commented:
    Yes! Do it, create something of your own: A novel, an amusement park, a go-cart, a dog house, a water park…………and since this is a literary blog, not number 7 especially. Story telling somes from experiencing life, creating things, meeting people, living OUT LOUD! If you want to be a writer, DO. Your life is the starting point for imaginative work!

7. Tanya says:

This is great. I’m impressed not just with the boy but his dad. I don’t know many parents who would let their child set up card board boxes in front of their business and not discourage them.

8. Oliver says:

U-Jeen,

+1 on his smile. Infectious!
    +1 on the storytelling. Well-crafted in so many respects. :)
    +1 on kicking in a few bucks; I just couldn’t help myself.

I believe this little video was God’s gift to me on so many levels.

I sometimes rathole on all the ways people show me how they suck. But when all the people at his arcade are lined up and cheering and holding signs, I feel like I catch the tiniest glimpse how we’re made in His image.

I genuinely feel inspired! It goes without saying inspired by Caine and amazing outlook and perseverance and creativity. But also by the filmmaker. How rad that he’s using his talent in this way!

9. Deb says:

I saw the video this morning and have been thinking about it and sharing it with friends all day! I’m actually going to LA in a couple weeks, and yes, I plan to buy a fun pass!

10. […] also inspired Pastor Eugene Cho to offer $2 to anyone ready to pursue their […]

11. Diane says:

This is sooo awesome. What a creative young man!!!

12. JB says:

Fantastic! Almost brought on some tears.

13. Boon says:

Thanks for sharing this. This is an awesome video showing that people can make things happen. If they put the effort, things will get noticed. God notices everything.

14. […] Get outside. Be creative. Dream. Create something. The story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy and Caine&#8… (eugenecho.com) Share this:ShareEmailFacebookRedditStumbleUponTwitterLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. ▶ No Responses /* 0) { jQuery('#comments').show('', change_location()); jQuery('#showcomments a .closed').css('display', 'none'); jQuery('#showcomments a .open').css('display', 'inline'); return true; } else { jQuery('#comments').hide(''); jQuery('#showcomments a .closed').css('display', 'inline'); jQuery('#showcomments a .open').css('display', 'none'); return false; } } jQuery('#showcomments a').click(function(){ if(jQuery('#comments').css('display') == 'none') { self.location.href = '#comments'; check_location(); } else { check_location('hide'); } }); function change_location() { self.location.href = '#comments'; } }); /* ]]> */ […]

15. Cindy says:

his smile is too much!!

16. Phyllis Vermilyea says:

I fell in love with this little boy and how much he is like my grandson. I just hope and pray he never lets any of this go to his head and crowd out all the wonderful ideas planted there by a loving God. He is on my prayer list for my life. I wish I could really know him and his family.

17. Sam says:

I shouldn’t have watched this during my conference period at work. Now I have to think of excuses for why it looks like I have been crying. I am not sure why but this story moved me to tears. Gotta wash my face before my 5th graders come back from the gym. Can’t wait to show it to them. Thanks for sharing Caine’s story.

18. Anita says:

Wow…definitely tears…
    1. The love of the father for the son
    2. The optimism of Caine (not going to close early…ever)
    3. The child likeness of Nirvan
    And so much more that words cannot fully express!

19. Ph says:

In a world filled with greed, distrust and murder a little boy brings generosity of spirit, faith in his fellow man to come and joy beyond all telling. How is this possible……….a lesson for us all. Love to Caine and his family.

20. […] weeks ago, I shared the story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy of Caine’s Arcade. If you haven’t seen his story, please do yourself a favor and watch […]

Video of Delta rivers and an amazing sunset in Myanmar on a #fastboat. We were on these boats for about 20 hours over 3 days. Exhausting but meeting villagers and experiencing these sunsets made up for the long and bumpy boat rides. 10 days ago. Unforgettable slow boat journey in the Delta rivers of Myanmar. Lots of reflecting and praying. Came to the conclusion - again - that in the efforts to change the world, I especially need to be changed by God's love, character, and justice. #Myanmar #slowboatreflections #onedayswages The 2nd baby turns 14 today. Oh my. How time flies. Every birthday now is bittersweet. So amazed at the young woman she is becoming ... and that much further away from being that little baby. Happy Birthday, @trintaay! The world is fallen, broken, and messy. This is the truth.

But the story is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the Truth. There is Hope. God is our Hope.

#Advent #MyanmarSunset #NoFilter #BackHomeSafe In solidarity. From Thailand. #ICantBreathe I'm in Thailand for two days to meet @theexodusroad - one of @onedayswages' partners doing compelling work in the fight against child sex trafficking in Thailand and other countries.

Several of their team members took me and Phillip (one of my staff ) into several brothels as part of their investigation. Needless to say, it was very disturbing but an important experience. Women were scantily dressed and places on stages ... as commodities. As part of the investigation, we spoke with some of these young women to collect information, liberate underaged girls, and shut down brothels that exploit underaged girls. To be honest, it's complicated... The evening was intense and my heart was beating so rapidly...but as the hours passed and my initial shock and fears subsided, I felt the Holy Spirit remind me that God loves each and every person and desires to draw them until Himself.  And so I prayed for these women, men, girls, pimps, johns, mamma sans... Lord, break these strongholds.
Lord, give us courage.

• Christmas isn't just a feel-good, cutesy, baby story. It's about a God who enters into our utter brokenness to show the depths of His love. || 4 hours ago
  • Umm. I had an upset stomach one time before preaching...and it didn't turn out too good. #BeastMode || 15 hours ago
  • We need to get this. It's not US versus THEM. It's US and US. We're in it together. We need one another. And we ALL need a Savior. || 17 hours ago
  • "Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love." - goo.gl/30BDi3 #PrayerOfStFrancis || 18 hours ago
  • Love became flesh. Love showed us the way. Love was betrayed. Love was killed. Love was resurrected. Love endures. Love wins. #Jesus || 23 hours ago
  • Grieving the senseless murders of the two NYC police officers. Our hearts and prayers go out to the Liu and Ramos families. We are so sorry. || 1 day ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,075 other followers