redefining success

There’s so much more I can say but I tried to make my point in six minutes.

Couple weeks ago, I self-filmed this video for an online conference called The Nines. Unfortunately, my video didn’t actually make the cut that day but got archived as an “exclusive web content.”

Aren’t you special? Here’s access to the exclusive web content:

In this video, I was attempting to explain what I have been wrestling for a very long time:

How do I define success as a pastor?

It’s very honest.

If there’s anything I’d like for you to take away from this video, it’s this:

“Be faithful.”

Perhaps it’s appropriate that I’m sharing this video during the week when lists of the 100 most influential churches (and pastors?) are being distributed through some publications.

These lists have their places. We can be mature enough to acknowledge that. But besides 100 pastors (and 100 churches), the rest of us didn’t make this list. But don’t worry. Don’t fret about making this list:

By God’s grace, just be the most influential and loving pastor of your own church.

Let me know what you think…

Filed under:

1. Ben from TIC says:

Yeah, along the same lines as being faithful I’d add being present. I serve youth ministry, and being faithful and present is 90% of what I do. If you’re there and can listen, they’ll listen to you and listen to the Word of God you share. Faithfulness, one of the fruits of the Spirit.

2. Dave says:

Eugene,

Thanks for this. It was very timely and convicting.

3. I’m the most influential and loving mommy of my own family…gotta start somewhere!

4. Jesse Sudirgo says:

Good word bro.

5. yaakova says:

Absolutely wonderful and inspiring video!

6. anonymous says:

amen brotha! Yes, we must define success through God’s eyes and not through the eyes of man. Our greatest calling is to grow in love and obedience to Jesus. This is the first and greatest and commandment. If we understand this to be true, success is available for every believer no matter what our ministries look like. As we seek His heart for others, we find that the second commandment comes from a natural overflow of our obedience to the first and greatest commandment. We know that ministry is born out of His heart and desire, not ours.

There are only a handful in the earth who will have huge ministries in terms of size and impact and it’s only through His grace that they exist anyway. In the end when we stand before the Judgement seat of Christ, we’ll be evaluated and rewarded primarily for our heart’s response in this life and not on what we accomplished for the Kingdom.

Bless you brotha… may God continue to reveal His heart for you, your family, your church, and to all those that need the Messiah!

7. David says:

This was a really great reminder Eugene. Thanks for that. I hope you get some rest and quality time with your fam and return to Quest refreshed.

This is real life. #endit #modernslavery #fightinjustice

If you've ever prayed, donated, shared our stories, prayed, launched a campaign for @onedayswages - YOU made this possible. Our matching grant with @theexodusroad allowed us to support a portion of school fees for 11 young trafficking survivors in Thailand. For obvious reasons, we can't show their faces but we do what we do because we believe every person is created in the image of God. Honored to partner with The Exodus Road and others to play a small part in the restoration of these young kids. Wow. Seattle clouds. Backyard.

Stop for God's beauty, mystery, and glory. My prayer for my kids: Love God. Love people. And be there for one another for life. Most of us take water for granted.  It's as easy as turning on our faucet but approximately 748 million people in the world still lack access to clean water. This past December,  I had the privilege of visiting Myanmar and vividly remember walking the journey of what many have to do when they go to a nearby pond to get their water. As you can imagine, many get sick... We can't change the entire world but we can impact the world of some and most importantly, be changed ourselves. Partner with @onedayswages @worldconcern @miir to come alongside 7 villages in Myanmar that were devastated by Cyclone Nargis in 2008. - http://onedayswages.org Couple special days encouraging pastors and leaders from the beautiful state of Montana. Took some personal time for self-care to hike up this cliff. @SeattleQuest is on the move! Lots of mixed emotions but grateful for God's provision. We hope to move in to our new home this October.

Visit eugenecho.com to read the details and how you can pray for us.

• The question we must ask isn't , "Was Jesus King?" but rather, "What kind of King was Jesus?" Our answer makes all the difference. || 1 day ago
  • On Palm Sunday, they shouted "Hosanna!". A week later, they shouted "Crucify him!" Be steadfast. Be faithful. Even when the crowds turn. || 1 day ago
  • Notre Dame needed Tyus Edney. || 1 day ago
  • C'mon Notre Dame! Do this. Whatever you do, don't pass the ball at the 1 yard line. Run the ball. Go Beast Mode. || 1 day ago
  • Thank you, @NickKristof. for your balanced article on evangelicals who let their walking be their preaching: nytimes.com/2015/03/29/opiā€¦ || 1 day ago
  • If you're looking for a church, go to a church that believes just going to a church isn't really church. || 1 day ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,194 other followers