redefining success

There’s so much more I can say but I tried to make my point in six minutes.

Couple weeks ago, I self-filmed this video for an online conference called The Nines. Unfortunately, my video didn’t actually make the cut that day but got archived as an “exclusive web content.”

Aren’t you special? Here’s access to the exclusive web content:

In this video, I was attempting to explain what I have been wrestling for a very long time:

How do I define success as a pastor?

It’s very honest.

If there’s anything I’d like for you to take away from this video, it’s this:

“Be faithful.”

Perhaps it’s appropriate that I’m sharing this video during the week when lists of the 100 most influential churches (and pastors?) are being distributed through some publications.

These lists have their places. We can be mature enough to acknowledge that. But besides 100 pastors (and 100 churches), the rest of us didn’t make this list. But don’t worry. Don’t fret about making this list:

By God’s grace, just be the most influential and loving pastor of your own church.

Let me know what you think…

Filed under:

1. Ben from TIC says:

Yeah, along the same lines as being faithful I’d add being present. I serve youth ministry, and being faithful and present is 90% of what I do. If you’re there and can listen, they’ll listen to you and listen to the Word of God you share. Faithfulness, one of the fruits of the Spirit.

2. Dave says:

Eugene,

Thanks for this. It was very timely and convicting.

3. I’m the most influential and loving mommy of my own family…gotta start somewhere!

4. Jesse Sudirgo says:

Good word bro.

5. yaakova says:

Absolutely wonderful and inspiring video!

6. anonymous says:

amen brotha! Yes, we must define success through God’s eyes and not through the eyes of man. Our greatest calling is to grow in love and obedience to Jesus. This is the first and greatest and commandment. If we understand this to be true, success is available for every believer no matter what our ministries look like. As we seek His heart for others, we find that the second commandment comes from a natural overflow of our obedience to the first and greatest commandment. We know that ministry is born out of His heart and desire, not ours.

There are only a handful in the earth who will have huge ministries in terms of size and impact and it’s only through His grace that they exist anyway. In the end when we stand before the Judgement seat of Christ, we’ll be evaluated and rewarded primarily for our heart’s response in this life and not on what we accomplished for the Kingdom.

Bless you brotha… may God continue to reveal His heart for you, your family, your church, and to all those that need the Messiah!

7. David says:

This was a really great reminder Eugene. Thanks for that. I hope you get some rest and quality time with your fam and return to Quest refreshed.

The hills are alive with the sound of music. #TheChoVonTrapFamily Soaking in a Sunday Seattle Sabbath with the family. #gasworkspark For we walk by faith, not completely by sight. - 2 Cor. 5:7 Summers evenings are the best in #Seattle and enjoying some sacred time with the family. So proud of the young woman our daughter, @_jubileee, is becoming as she enters her senior year in high school. Our prayer is that she continues to grow in her identity and faith in Christ; that she may hold God's Word close to her heart; that she may grow to be light and salt in an ever challenging culture; that she knows she is deeply loved and pursued by Christ

@_jubileee, is also an incredibly talented photographer. Check out her feed. Some sacred time with my oldest daughter last night. That little dot on the left is her. We were the only ones by the lighthouse last night to enjoy this breathtaking sunset. Trying to enjoy these moments before she heads off to college in about one year. #discoverypark #seattle #fatherdaughtertime Seattle. Right now. So beautiful...but don't move here. No more traffic.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,278 other followers