redefining success

There’s so much more I can say but I tried to make my point in six minutes.

Couple weeks ago, I self-filmed this video for an online conference called The Nines. Unfortunately, my video didn’t actually make the cut that day but got archived as an “exclusive web content.”

Aren’t you special? Here’s access to the exclusive web content:

In this video, I was attempting to explain what I have been wrestling for a very long time:

How do I define success as a pastor?

It’s very honest.

If there’s anything I’d like for you to take away from this video, it’s this:

“Be faithful.”

Perhaps it’s appropriate that I’m sharing this video during the week when lists of the 100 most influential churches (and pastors?) are being distributed through some publications.

These lists have their places. We can be mature enough to acknowledge that. But besides 100 pastors (and 100 churches), the rest of us didn’t make this list. But don’t worry. Don’t fret about making this list:

By God’s grace, just be the most influential and loving pastor of your own church.

Let me know what you think…

Filed under:

1. Ben from TIC says:

Yeah, along the same lines as being faithful I’d add being present. I serve youth ministry, and being faithful and present is 90% of what I do. If you’re there and can listen, they’ll listen to you and listen to the Word of God you share. Faithfulness, one of the fruits of the Spirit.

2. Dave says:

Eugene,

Thanks for this. It was very timely and convicting.

3. I’m the most influential and loving mommy of my own family…gotta start somewhere!

4. Jesse Sudirgo says:

Good word bro.

5. yaakova says:

Absolutely wonderful and inspiring video!

6. anonymous says:

amen brotha! Yes, we must define success through God’s eyes and not through the eyes of man. Our greatest calling is to grow in love and obedience to Jesus. This is the first and greatest and commandment. If we understand this to be true, success is available for every believer no matter what our ministries look like. As we seek His heart for others, we find that the second commandment comes from a natural overflow of our obedience to the first and greatest commandment. We know that ministry is born out of His heart and desire, not ours.

There are only a handful in the earth who will have huge ministries in terms of size and impact and it’s only through His grace that they exist anyway. In the end when we stand before the Judgement seat of Christ, we’ll be evaluated and rewarded primarily for our heart’s response in this life and not on what we accomplished for the Kingdom.

Bless you brotha… may God continue to reveal His heart for you, your family, your church, and to all those that need the Messiah!

7. David says:

This was a really great reminder Eugene. Thanks for that. I hope you get some rest and quality time with your fam and return to Quest refreshed.

Invest in your soul.
Read the Scriptures.
Pray & listen.
Embrace silence.
Go for a walk.
Laugh with friends.
Enjoy a good book.
Soak in God's creation.

#NatureIsMyLoveLanguage Final sunset.

Aloha. Mahalo. Hana hou. Ohana.

Thank you, Kona, the Whitlocks, YWAM, sea turtles, Nemo, Restorers DTS, and Scandinavian Shaved Ice. Our three children.

One will be heading off to college in one year. The 2nd in three years. In six years, Minhee and I will be empty nesters. As a young parent, my prayers for them often surrounded their purpose in life. While I still ponder those things, there are three things that I most pray for:

1. That they may love Christ and obey Christ. Not just the idea but to actually follow Christ and thus, to love people.

2. To hold God's Word - the Holy Scriptures - dear and near to their hearts.

3. To love one another and be there for one another for life. To be loyal to one another. To protect one another. To never allow pettiness, conflicts, jealousy,  money, or whatever to get between them in the future. Ever.
May it be so. Amen. Kona sunset. #nofilter

Perhaps from the outside...things look great but this has been one of the most challenging years of our life. The most painful has involved one of our kids who've had to endure through a lifelong chronic illness. This year, we've gone to the hospital 3-4 times/week trying to get her better. Ups and downs. Emotional roller coaster. Parents will understand this but nothing hurts more than a sick child...especially when you can't "fix" the situation. We were praying that our trip to Hawaii would be a balm for her soul...but it has been hard. Really hard. Lots of tears hard. But soaking in this sunset with our kids is something we don't want to take for granted.

We continue to pray and hope. Hope is not that God promises us perfection or everything we want but that in all situations...God is with us. Believing - while faltering - in this truth for our child. My Hawaiian Seattle Korean queen. #kona @minheejcho A family that hikes together stays together. #kona #pololuvalley

• Great World Cup final and tournament. Now, if we can just get FIFA to change their corrupted ways. || 3 hours ago
  • Congrats to the USA Women - 2015 World Cup Champions! And respect to Japan for a great tournament & never quitting. http://t.co/x4lmf0si9F || 4 hours ago
  • USA Women haven't scored a goal in over 5 minutes. This is pathetic. What's wrong with them? ;) || 5 hours ago
  • USA. WOW. USA. WOW. USA. WOW. USA. WOW. Four goals and counting... || 5 hours ago
  • Grace doesn't necessarily fix everything...but it can change everything. || 6 hours ago
  • Happy B-Day, USA. May we have the gratitude to celebrate our freedom, courage to atone for our mistakes, & humility to pray for our future. || 1 day ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,258 other followers