blog “open mic”

Welcome everyone. It’s time for the quarterly blog open mic and a chance to express yourself, advertise whatever, your find a date ad, etc.

Yo Yo. Microphone Check. One Two.

What is a blog open mic? It’s simply a digital version of an OPEN MIC. In the comments section on this post, you can share [almost] anything…

What are some possibilities for the open mic?

• a news story
  • your cause or another cause you want to call attention to
  • your blog
  • random thoughts
  • scripture that has spoken to you recently
  • world changing ideas
  • your music or plug your bands
  • your confessions
  • rants against me or rage against the machine
  • inspiring stories
  • the answers to life
  • your hip hop flow
  • your art, your poetry, prose or haiku
  • interesting links
  • ads for a boyfriend or girlfriend
  • promote an event
  • share your faith, fears, insecurities, and hopes

You can share whatever as long as it’s not hateful, vitriolic, etc.

So, here is your chance to express yourself. Take a minute and “open mic.”

Filed under:

1. James says:

Dear President Obama,

Sending another 30,000 troops to Afghanistan is a horrible idea.

Please reconsider.

2. queermergent says:

“The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them.”
    – Thomas Merton

3. There is a way to do Youtube apologetics and a way NOT to do the same. The link below is an example of the latter where I instead of having the Christian gentleman answer my questions about the topic, I was told to “know my place,” lol.

Wanna-be Christian apologists: If you encase the truth of the Word and the Incarnation of Christ Jesus in a proud and ungodly attitude towards those who challenge you, the truth will not be heard, PERIOD!

4. Andy M says:

Here are a few thoughts that other people have had that I find good or interesting.

Considering Human Nature:
    “I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they’d never expect it.”
    – Jack Handey

Responsibility:
    “I don’t believe that the big men, the politicians and the capitalists alone, are guilty of the war. Oh no, the little man is just as guilty, otherwise the peoples of the world would have risen in revolt long ago!”
    – Anne Frank,
    The Diary of a Young Girl

Government:
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Economics:
    “Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it’s just the opposite.”
    – John Kenneth Galbraith

Good Works:
    “In America, we like everyone to know about the good work we’re doing anonymously.”
    – Jay Leno

Mob mentality:
    “Insanity in individuals is something rare – but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
    – Friedrich Nietzsche

Fashion:
    “I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.”
    – Henry David Thoreau

5. Kendall says:

Will being a woman in ministry always be this hard? I’m not even out of seminary yet, and I’m already so tired of defending my calling to other people.

• Sista girl, Jesus didn’t call you to defend your calling. Jesus Himself is your message. Let him handle the haters. I’m in the struggle with you in spirit.

• Melody Hanson says:

like. [hugs]

• There may come a time, Kendall, when you find yourself at peace without needing to defend what God is doing through you. Trust God, trust the empowering of the Holy Spirit within you, do the work God has placed at your hand, and you already are a woman in ministry. Live into the calling of the Holy Spirit. Have the courage to continue to walk with your eyes fixed on our Lord. God will bring just the right people alongside and ahead and behind you to keep you moving ahead with grace.

There have always been loud NAY-sayers to my journey into ministry, but thank God, there have always been encouraging and stronger voices coming from living testaments of God’s integrity and steadfast love near me. May the Lord help you to come to that time of peace, and give you godly people with wonderful, strong voices, too!

• E. says:

I feel you. I’m only in my 2nd year in college, yet I find myself running into walls that are only getting higher and higher as I jump past them.

It’s a hard life, but just pray that the life you lead will only inspire and encourage other, maybe even younger, women.

We must become less for Him to be greater…

6. Kyle Reed says:

Thanks for the open mic.

I am starting a mentoring project. Would love for people to check out the site and learn more:

Questions, shoot me an email: kyle@mentormeproject.com

7. Tina says:

Instead of buying your gifts this Christmas at a big box store you could fight human trafficking and give women around the world a chance. This is my sister’s online store, it’s just starting so it’s small but it’s her doing something she’s passionate about. All items are fair trade, sustainable and profits go to orgs. fighting trafficking.

8. booyahbagwells says:

Advent Conspiracy

Worship fully… Spend less… Give more… Love all.

9. Tony Lin says:

Chinese students get beat up in Philly… so much for the “progressive north”

• Tony, S. Philly has had ethnic antagonism and racial tensions as long as I’ve known the area – over half a century, now. When I was a kid, it was the Italians and the Polish immigrants who were at odds in S. Philly. “Progressive north”? Are you thinking Civil War? Most northern US cities have had ethnic-based neighborhoods and racially-based neighborhoods for decades! (West and North Philly were mainly African-American when I was a kid, and Northeast Philly was mainly white.)

10. randall says:

Do we need to be working on a theology that anticipates extraterrestrial life?

11. Looking for peace? My book and ministry focus on forgiveness as the pathway to peace.

http://www.tradingfathers.com for Chapter 1 of Trading Fathers: Forgiving Dad, Embracing God

http://www.karenrabbitt.typepad.com for devotionals

Blessings, and thanks for the open mic,

Karen

12. [...] a post from Eugene Cho inviting people to leave comments about anything on his blog. He called it Blog Open Mic. So, rather than try to out-think him, I figured I’d try that concept here as well. Got [...]

13. rick r says:

A Christmas Story

I’m in the Central District on Christmas Eve, at Ollie’s Books and Records, a store that could have been a living room. It’s 3:00 pm, closing is in an hour. I could excuse my last minute shopping as a response to extra guests added to the next day’s festivities, but actually, that’s just how I roll.

Two others in the store. Guy in long leather coat, covered with gold chains. Sales girl, about 17. I make my selections, only to find they don’t take plastic. I can’t get home, come back with my check-book. Gold-chain dude, peels off two twenties from a fat roll of bills.

“You can’t do that!” I told him.

“Try and stop me,” he laughed.

I walked out of the store with my gospel music, thinking, angels aren’t always what you expect.

14. FWIW, this is my favorite thing I’ve written…

It’s late. But Laura says I write better when it’s late. Less inhibitions I suppose.

On July 1st Washington implemented a law forcing drivers that wish to talk on a cell phone to wear a blue tooth head set. This has really been bothering me and I have still refused to submit to the rules. Instead, I just randomly hang up on you while we are talking because I saw a cop and I didn’t want him to pull me over. The funny thing is, I love new gadgets. I just asked for a subscription to “Wired” magazine for my birthday. I DVR a tech show every day and love hearing about interesting things coming out of Japan. I consider myself an early adaptor. It’s not that I’m reluctant to change. I can’t stand wearing the blue tooth headset because I don’t want to be like that guy.

You know what I’m talking about? The guy who strolls into Starbucks closing some important deal and wants the entire place to know about it. He continues his conversation while ordering his drink just to show off his multi-tasking prowess but is uninterested in looking the barista in the eye and actually acknowledging her as a human being. He scowls at the poor college kid that made his drink for taking longer than five seconds and then storms out while yelling, “Sell Sell SELL!” Okay, perhaps that’s a bit hyperbolic but you get my point. I don’t want to become rude, inconsiderate, unapproachable, calloused, and shallow. That’s the guy I don’t want to be. Every day, I risk getting a ticket because I’m afraid I’ll turn into that guy. Okay, now stay with me, this is going somewhere redemptive. (I hope)
    I remember having a similar feeling creep into the pit of my stomach when I began investigating Jesus. I recall feeling conflicted because the stories I read and the possibilities that were presented sounded so fulfilling but I was afraid I would end up looking like someone else.
    I was interested in Jesus, but uninterested in becoming the Christians I knew.

I found myself desperate to know God but equally desperate to retain my God given personality. Can you relate? I want God but I don’t want to be that guy. I don’t want to picket abortion clinics and gay bash. I probably won’t vote republican. I don’t want to alienate myself, wear goofy t-shirts and call everyone “brother”. I don’t want to become the intolerant, judgmental, holier than thou guy with no sense of humor.

A few years ago I was working in a big church and walking through the halls during a conference we were hosting. I noticed an older gentleman looking confused and lost so I offered to escort him in the right direction. He accepted the offer and as we were walking he asked,

“Are you a pastor here?”
    “Yes I am.” I responded politely
    “You don’t look much like a pastor.” He didn’t offer this comment as a compliment but it has stuck with me.

See, I’m learning who God has created me to be and growing in confidence in his creation. I’m allowing God to craft who I am and I’m starting to trust him with the outcome. I’m trusting because I’m learning he doesn’t want me to be that guy either. God has created each of us uniquely. He points out areas that aren’t healthy. He celebrates the parts that are distinctly you. He enjoys the small idiosyncrasies of you. He is not interested in cookie cutter followers but welcomes diversity. However, it’s up to you and me to trust him in the process. And believe me, knowing God is certainly a process.

So, I’m going to try out the blue tooth. I’m going to trust God in the process. I’m going to trust that he is not going to turn me into that guy. I, the Kyle Reynolds full of doubts, questions, and quirks will get to know God. Care to join me?

15. Pauline Chiu says:

here’s an excellent blog post by elderj on “are Asians sell outs?”

go read and support my man! :D

16. Julie says:

Favorite couplet of poetry for the day:

I was to them like those
    who lift infants to their cheeks.

(Find that reference!)

17. Melody Hanson says:

“A writer is dear and necessary for us only in the measure of which he reveals to us the inner workings of his very soul. ~ Tolstoy

This is shameless promotion of my blog.

Something I wrote about forgiveness, one of several a result of the whole Deadly Viper frakas. God woke me up.

“When my father was dieing, I came to a point that I had to forgive him for the years of neglect and abuse. My sisters and I had flown in from around the country for the surgery to remove two tumors in his brain. The day before, my sister Paula and I found ourselves in a small Episcopal church in Evergreen, Colorado … It was a relief to slip into a pew near the back, two of about a dozen people in the small sanctuary.

It was a beautiful service and I was deeply moved — emotional and fearful for the next day and days to come. My dad had been meeting with each of us daughters to have the “last conversation” just in case he didn’t make it. I wasn’t ready for mine.

As is typical tradition in the Episcopal church, communion was offered. As took that long walk to the front and knelt there, struggling with my heavy heart, I was aware that my father could very well die in surgery. And I also knew that I could not, and in many ways would not, be able or ready to forgive him. As I wrestled internally between my hypocrisy and a need to be faithful to my experiences with my dad, I heard the voice of God saying: ‘Melody, forgive as you have been forgiven.’ Even as I write those words I’m floored by the power of that moment.”

Read the whole thing here: http://wp.me/ploAe-mB

18. elderj says:

just a little something for your entertainment:

They told us not to dance
    Dark feet beating out heathen rhythms in dusty circles on the ground
    Is not suitable for the worship of a White man’s god

They told us not to shout out loud
    Spirit possessed bodies crying loud their liberation from evil dark
    Is not suitable for the worship of a White man’s god

They told us not to sing
    Throaty voices straining haunting melodies of freedom tinged with pain
    Is not suitable for the worship of a White man’s god

They told us not to dance
    But we dance anyway
    And stomp our feet to the rhythm of our joyous hearts

They told us not to shout out loud
    But we shout anyway
    Screaming our celebration and our pain

They told us not to sing
    But we sing anyway
    And take lines of dusty hymnals and restore to them their soul

Our dance
    Our shout
    Our song
    Not suitable for the worship of a White man’s god
    But just right for Jesus!

19. Jimmy Dutton says:

Hey guys! Check out a blog my friend and I do!
    Its called The Jamble!!

thejamble.wordpress.com

20. Jimmy Dutton says:

Here is an entry on being open tot he possibilities around us: http://thejamble.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/open-up/

Here is what our blog is all about:

“The combination of two or more minds gives you a “jamble” (a random jumble of ideas) in an attempt to provide some kind of addition to the discussion of cultured theology.

What is “Cultured Theology??

It is a discussion about theology that speaks from and to our culture.

It is an attempt to talk about God from where we are, and help others do the same.

It recognizes its biases and its inability to escape them, yet it still reaches out to the Other in dialogue.

It is not afraid to express radical ideas, nor is it afraid to embrace tradition.

It is comfortable with paradox, and never seeks to resolve it.

It is an exploration of what God has made known about Gods-self, and speculation on what God has not revealed.

It is an attempt to end the split between intellect and practice.

It is you, and I, and anyone else…talking, acting, thinking, praying, worshiping, growing, living.”

21. mrwcase says:

I am a boy. I am a man.
    I am a college graduate without a plan.

I am a bum and I am ambitious.
    I am a failure and most certainly auspicious.

I am a broken vessel and a new creation.
    I am a tangled ball of yarn of juxtapositions.

-by Matthew Case: “Bros, Prose, & Pantyhose”

22. mrwcase says:

[Simply.Love] –>combat prejudice & promote love in the church & education system

How far can love take us?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsZdI6LSWBc

Please leave comments and check out the beta version of the [Simply.Love] Campaign here: http://www.simplylovecampaign.com/

Thanks for the plug opportunity, Eugene :)

23. Ronnie says:

When we preach on end time, please don’t include dates! Don’t oversell 2012…tks!

24. I came to my present church to be a church planter. It was supposed to be a three year plan. We’re in year 6.5 and I have the best option to plant before me. Now we’re in this economic crisis and we don’t know exactly who, if anyone, will go with us on this journey.
    I believe God has called me to this, but I am questioning whether now is the time to go plant. I really need to hear his voice. Other options are being presented to me along with planting…taking a Worship Pastor role or an Outreach role.
    Speak Lord and give me ears to hear.

25. Amber Himes says:

Though I would prefer
    Instead of that bitterness
    Camped out on the couch

Of my heart I would
    Like to say it is happy
    Not cranky instead

Joy seems elusive
    Agnosticism creeps in
    Love is assured yet

Reality mocks
    That which is true and noble
    And pure and greatest

Of all things I want
    A man with heart and head held
    High in truth and love

The end.

26. Miah says:

Here are some sights to check out.

Thailand Relief work project- We’re headed back to the Northern Mountains of Thailand to build some much needed bathrooms and deliver food for the elderly and disabled.

Shepherdsstaffco.org

Here are some sights for a friend of mine who does incredible work throughout Asia. She is currently raising 6 boys in Nepal who have come in off the streets. They are trying to escape a life of drugs.

27. Liz says:

Holy Waiting (A poem for Advent)

Waiting

Watching

Together

For the dawn

Of light full blown

To grow inside us

A rebirth of love

Beginning again and again

Life anew

With a promise in our heart

Of coming celebration

28. 206up says:

I write a blog about the hip-hop movement in Seattle. It’s here at http://www.206up.com. Read and leave feedback, please!

Thanks!

29. Jim says:

People of the 2nd Chance website launches this week

I love my church. So proud of the ways they seek to embody compassion and justice. Some of them were in downtown Seattle this week to demonstrate their solidarity with Ferguson.

I'm in the middle of a 3 month sabbatical at Quest. I'm grateful for this time of rest and rejuvenation...but I miss my church dearly. Can't wait to be back in October. There are some amazingly beautiful churches around the world. Just remember though that true worship begins when you exit the church walls and live out your faith and convictions.

#LightandSalt
#PrincetonUniversity Home, sweet home.
#seattle 17.5 Year Anniversary!
We still got it. We look gooooood!

Blessed to be back in Princeton, NJ for couple days recently. We had our wedding ceremony in Korea but got "legally" married in the US at Miller Chapel in Princeton Seminary. So, it was only fitting to go back and have my kids take our 17.5 Anniversary  pics. Someday when our kids become adults and they feel like their parents wronged them or neglected them, and they feel like they need to get counseling... I'm going to show them this picture and say, "I HAVE PROOF. WE TOOK YOU TO NYC AND BOUGHT TICKETS TO WICKED ON BROADWAY!" RIP Robin Williams.
Folks: Please go and - call or hug your loved ones. Tell them you love them. Remind them how you much appreciate them.

We need to (re)learn how to be more human. Don't avoid eye contact. Don't hide behind gadgets. Smile often - both to neighbors and strangers alike. Ask about peoples' stories. And listen.

And most importantly, remind yourself that YOU are loved. Not just merely by your loved ones but also by the ONE who created all that is good and beautiful.

• When I'm tempted to be significant,I have to remind myself that I am nothing apart from the grace of God...and that becomes my significance. || 6 hours ago
  • We have enough. God has given us enough. God IS our enough. - youtube.com/watch?v=z3V1YN… #OverratedBook || 7 hours ago
  • Getting on a plane. Going to recline my seat. Pray for me. || 1 day ago
  • Breathe. Show yourself some grace. We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a cheerful heart. || 1 day ago
  • You don't need to be the "most influential" to everyone, you just need to influence the people you've been called to. || 2 days ago
  • Rather than always looking for the spectacular, we have to learn to find purpose, beauty, and meaning in the mundane and every day. || 2 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 980 other followers