We’re all familiar with this phrase:
The grass is greener on the other side of the fence.
It may or may not be true but often times if not most of the times, it’s because we spend most of our time dreaming, coveting, envying, complaining, wishing, stop caring, and before you know it, we stop watering the grass on your side.
You may eventually get to the other side of the fence but for now:
Water the da*n grass on this side of the fence.
Here’s the sermon from this past Sunday about 10 things that Build Community. This is the sermon in response to the Things that Destroy Community. This goes about 58+ minutes long and I wished I could have gone a tad longer to flesh out a few more things but I made a pact in blood w/ our other staff to end at a responsible time. And I barely made it this Sunday.
And a short clip about ‘Watering the Grass on This Side’:
Here are the 10 contextual points I shared:
- Know who you are. Created in the image of God. Genesis 1.27
- Be a Host & Not a Guest. We’ve got way too many people playing and wanting “Guest Privileges” when it’s time to step up and Be a Host. Acts 2:42-45
- Learn People’s Story. We learn to love by learning people’s story and seeing them through #1 and through the eyes of Christ: Colossians 3:11
- Make Sundays Count. Hebrews 10:25
- Join a Community Group. Acts 2:42-45
- Get involved & Serve. Potluck Example: First to eat, Last to volunteer, First to leave. John 13:1-20
- Give – Your Treasure. Matthew 6:21
- Forgive. James 1:19. Colossians 3. Forgiveness = Blessing someone to flourish & prosper.
- Rejoice [Party with people] & Mourn with one another. Romans 12:15
- Worship. Loved by God. Saved by Jesus. Guided by teh Holy Spirit. Items 1-9 above are nice but must be covered by our desire to be a Worshipping Community. Colossians 3:16 // Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God