thanking god for his intervention

Exactly two months ago today, I ruptured my right Achilles while playing basketball with some men at Quest.  The injury was painful but the emotional stuff was even more painful.  As a result, I officially announced my retirement and took off my mask [& goggles].

I didn’t know it at the time the injury took place but as I reflect on it now, I believe this was God intervening in my life – as He often does – to demonstrate His care, caution, love,  and guidance. Sometimes, in my hubris, I tend to think that God can’t do His work without my participation. And again, I am reminded that God doesn’t really need me. I don’t have to but I get to.  In addition, over the past few months but especially recently, I’ve been once again reminded how important it is to have the rhythm of Sabbath in one’s life. God created this rhythm not because He doesn’t like productivity but because He actually values both our doing and our being…

I don’t have one day where I am able to completely Sabbath with the schedule of three kids and my wife who is in grad school. But at least twice each week, I block out several hours where I will Sabbath. Disconnect from everything else and rest and rejoice before God.

As some of you know, I ruptured my left Achilles several years ago and had surgery and it has healed very well. After some prayer and discussion, I chose to go the path of natural healing with my right Achilles.  I would have preferred surgery but even with insurance, the bill would have been about $3k and well, tis the season to be frugal. Several friends offered to help but Minhee and I prayed and felt at peace. Plus, I wanted my body to be a gift to the sciences.

Well, two weeks ago, I took off my cast and started some careful and light walking. My doctor would not have approved but after reading numerous things on the internet, I chose the aggressive method.

It’s amazing how the a completely ruptured Achilles can reattach and heal itself. Even  more amazing is how the body can atrophy so quickly when it’s not being used. Even after 6 weeks in a cast, my right calf had atrophied dramatically which was one of the reasons why I chose to take off the cast and do some light walking and to slowly rebuild my calf muscles.  I have my doctor’s appointment next Tuesday and I’m praying my doctor will be stunned by how well my heel, Achilles, and calf muscles are doing and encourage me to pursue aggressive Physical Therapy.

The drawback of natural healing is the slightly higher percentage of re-rupture rates [5% vs. 15%] but I’m praying that with therapy, regular exercise, and healthy rhythms in my life, I can be up and running in a few months.

Maybe I’m crazy but I’m really thankful to be walking about. Yesterday, in celebration of 8 weeks post the injury, I picked up a basketball, limped around, and hit a few shots.  Maybe a comeback is in my future…

Thank you so much for your kind words, prayers, and for those who helped prepare meals for my family during the first couple weeks. Thank you for your love…

Share/Bookmark

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Eugene,
    Solid skills. I like the fact that you follow your shot. But that was a Kobe-esque performance of consitency. if you need a point guard, holla at ya boy!

2. pert says:

i won’t call it a comeback, you’ve been here for years.

3. Erick says:

nothing wrong with being a spot up shooter if the Achilles ever gives you trouble…and soon enough you’ll be tossing up alley-oops to your kids, team dime baby.

also, don’t know if you’re much of a cyclist, but it’s obviously a great way to build up calf (and leg) muscle with low impact. I don’t really know if that’s okay to do with an Achilles injury, but maybe bike to work a couple days a week?

Praying for continued healing.

4. Joe says:

Wow. That ankle & achilles looked nasty. Glad you are getting better.

5. Jim Chen says:

Happy to see you moving around so well, so soon. Nice shooting and smooth moving. You’ll be playing again in no time.

6. Tony says:

Nice vid. I was tempted to make some joke about you using computer tricks to doctor the video up but I’ve seen you play. You do have major skills! I appreciate your attitude about this. Lately I have struggled with taking things that cause me pain and looking at them as something positive and God-ordained. Inspirational stuff.

7. Eugene Cho says:

@ryan: i was a PG in high school but the quickness is no more.

@pert: LL baby.

@erick: steve kerr may be my new hero.

@tony: i got many of those jokes today already. brother, you’ve gone through so much this past year. you and angela have inspired me more than you can know. thank you.

8. your friend says:

What an encouragement! God can use anything to let us learn a new lesson.

I learned a lot through your example.

One thing came to mind when I looked at you: When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Your inner strength got stronger through this and you keep going with GOD. I rejoice!

9. Rich says:

You skillz money! Definitely room for an Asian in the NBA. I’ll send em this vid. LOL

a movement to fight poverty

It's a privilege to travel but there's something special about returning and your heart says, "Home sweet home." #seattle What a joy to celebrate Dr. John Perkins' legacy this week. Like many others, he has been a deep inspiration to me.
When I finished the first draft of my upcoming book, OVERRATED, he was one of the first folks I showed it too.
He wrote back with the following endorsement: "We are called to give ourselves to our generation, and Pastor Eugene's work here in OVERRATED is exactly that. This deeply personal narrative takes readers on a lived journey of wrestling through the realities of being a justice fighter today. I've given my fifty plus years to this fight, and his story is my story. I believe it may be yours as well. I encourage all believers to read OVERRATED. It lays a course for how we must proceed as humble but faithful justice leaders in an unjust world." Needless to say, I'm humbled by his endorsement and words of encouragement. It was painful to complete (and I'm still working on final edits)...but I CAN'T wait to share the book in September when it releases. Wow. Blessed are the artists that help others reimagine the Gospel. #HeIsRisen #questchurch Amazing Resurrection celebration service. Especially love celebrating Communion every Sunday. Today, hosted a super Feast with bread from many different countries. #HeIsRisen Don't rush too soon to the empty tomb. Reflect on the cross. Thank you, Jesus, for your life & love. Thank you, Jesus, for you have redeemed this day of injustice and violence to be "good." You are truly the Light of the world. #GoodFriday Layover. San Francisco. Having grown up here, my heart still flutters. No other city like it.

• Travel is a privilege but always special flying back & your heart sings, "Home sweet home." instagram.com/p/nMMPiUSWVy/ http://t.co/bm61XOe8h4 || 3 hours ago
  • "Don't mistake God's patience for His absence. His timing is perfect, and His presence is constant. He's always with you." - Deut. 31:6 || 8 hours ago
  • Beautiful. 29 churches have raised $128K. Amidst the Oso Mudslide tragedy, humbled by collaboration and generosity: wp.me/pT6R-2WC || 8 hours ago
  • About to preach in Minneapolis. Pray that in proclaiming the Gospel, I may honor God, be led by HolySpirit, & simply direct people to Jesus. || 12 hours ago
  • Be humble. Stay humble. Walk humbly. And kick butt. Then give God all the glory. || 23 hours ago
  • The book was painful to complete (and I'm still working on final edits)...but I CAN'T wait to share the book in September when it releases. || 1 day ago
  • I nervously showed @JohnMPerkins a draft of my upcoming book, OVERRATED. He wrote the following endorsement: instagram.com/p/nJoXdUSWQy/ #Humbled || 1 day ago
  • "Waiting time is not wasting time. Waiting patiently in expectation is the foundation of the spiritual life." ~ Henri Nouwen || 1 day ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 888 other followers