thanking god for his intervention

Exactly two months ago today, I ruptured my right Achilles while playing basketball with some men at Quest.  The injury was painful but the emotional stuff was even more painful.  As a result, I officially announced my retirement and took off my mask [& goggles].

I didn’t know it at the time the injury took place but as I reflect on it now, I believe this was God intervening in my life – as He often does – to demonstrate His care, caution, love,  and guidance. Sometimes, in my hubris, I tend to think that God can’t do His work without my participation. And again, I am reminded that God doesn’t really need me. I don’t have to but I get to.  In addition, over the past few months but especially recently, I’ve been once again reminded how important it is to have the rhythm of Sabbath in one’s life. God created this rhythm not because He doesn’t like productivity but because He actually values both our doing and our being…

I don’t have one day where I am able to completely Sabbath with the schedule of three kids and my wife who is in grad school. But at least twice each week, I block out several hours where I will Sabbath. Disconnect from everything else and rest and rejoice before God.

As some of you know, I ruptured my left Achilles several years ago and had surgery and it has healed very well. After some prayer and discussion, I chose to go the path of natural healing with my right Achilles.  I would have preferred surgery but even with insurance, the bill would have been about $3k and well, tis the season to be frugal. Several friends offered to help but Minhee and I prayed and felt at peace. Plus, I wanted my body to be a gift to the sciences.

Well, two weeks ago, I took off my cast and started some careful and light walking. My doctor would not have approved but after reading numerous things on the internet, I chose the aggressive method.

It’s amazing how the a completely ruptured Achilles can reattach and heal itself. Even  more amazing is how the body can atrophy so quickly when it’s not being used. Even after 6 weeks in a cast, my right calf had atrophied dramatically which was one of the reasons why I chose to take off the cast and do some light walking and to slowly rebuild my calf muscles.  I have my doctor’s appointment next Tuesday and I’m praying my doctor will be stunned by how well my heel, Achilles, and calf muscles are doing and encourage me to pursue aggressive Physical Therapy.

The drawback of natural healing is the slightly higher percentage of re-rupture rates [5% vs. 15%] but I’m praying that with therapy, regular exercise, and healthy rhythms in my life, I can be up and running in a few months.

Maybe I’m crazy but I’m really thankful to be walking about. Yesterday, in celebration of 8 weeks post the injury, I picked up a basketball, limped around, and hit a few shots.  Maybe a comeback is in my future…

Thank you so much for your kind words, prayers, and for those who helped prepare meals for my family during the first couple weeks. Thank you for your love…

Share/Bookmark

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Eugene,
    Solid skills. I like the fact that you follow your shot. But that was a Kobe-esque performance of consitency. if you need a point guard, holla at ya boy!

2. pert says:

i won’t call it a comeback, you’ve been here for years.

3. Erick says:

nothing wrong with being a spot up shooter if the Achilles ever gives you trouble…and soon enough you’ll be tossing up alley-oops to your kids, team dime baby.

also, don’t know if you’re much of a cyclist, but it’s obviously a great way to build up calf (and leg) muscle with low impact. I don’t really know if that’s okay to do with an Achilles injury, but maybe bike to work a couple days a week?

Praying for continued healing.

4. Joe says:

Wow. That ankle & achilles looked nasty. Glad you are getting better.

5. Jim Chen says:

Happy to see you moving around so well, so soon. Nice shooting and smooth moving. You’ll be playing again in no time.

6. Tony says:

Nice vid. I was tempted to make some joke about you using computer tricks to doctor the video up but I’ve seen you play. You do have major skills! I appreciate your attitude about this. Lately I have struggled with taking things that cause me pain and looking at them as something positive and God-ordained. Inspirational stuff.

7. Eugene Cho says:

@ryan: i was a PG in high school but the quickness is no more.

@pert: LL baby.

@erick: steve kerr may be my new hero.

@tony: i got many of those jokes today already. brother, you’ve gone through so much this past year. you and angela have inspired me more than you can know. thank you.

8. your friend says:

What an encouragement! God can use anything to let us learn a new lesson.

I learned a lot through your example.

One thing came to mind when I looked at you: When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Your inner strength got stronger through this and you keep going with GOD. I rejoice!

9. Rich says:

You skillz money! Definitely room for an Asian in the NBA. I’ll send em this vid. LOL

The 2nd baby turns 14 today. Oh my. How time flies. Every birthday now is bittersweet. So amazed at the young woman she is becoming ... and that much further away from being that little baby. Happy Birthday, @trintaay! The world is fallen, broken, and messy. This is the truth.

But the story is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the Truth. There is Hope. God is our Hope.

#Advent #MyanmarSunset #NoFilter #BackHomeSafe In solidarity. From Thailand. #ICantBreathe I'm in Thailand for two days to meet @theexodusroad - one of @onedayswages' partners doing compelling work in the fight against child sex trafficking in Thailand and other countries.

Several of their team members took me and Phillip (one of my staff ) into several brothels as part of their investigation. Needless to say, it was very disturbing but an important experience. Women were scantily dressed and places on stages ... as commodities. As part of the investigation, we spoke with some of these young women to collect information, liberate underaged girls, and shut down brothels that exploit underaged girls. To be honest, it's complicated... The evening was intense and my heart was beating so rapidly...but as the hours passed and my initial shock and fears subsided, I felt the Holy Spirit remind me that God loves each and every person and desires to draw them until Himself.  And so I prayed for these women, men, girls, pimps, johns, mamma sans... Lord, break these strongholds.
Lord, give us courage. When in a remote village in Myanmar, ask local fishermen to teach you their techniques. Then catch a big sea bass with them and have it prepared over a wood fire. Then enjoy it. #thankyoujesus #bucketlist Six years ago in 2008, Cyclone Nargis wiped through Myanmar killing about 140,000 people. We visited 6 villages and the stories were unreal. Some villages had everything destroyed. Every home. Nothing standing. One village had 3 homes left...and everyone in the village stayed there for several days.
One village had a population of 870 people. Only 120 survived...90% of their village died in a moment. Mothers, fathers, children, siblings, grandparents... It was surreal speaking to them. While you can sense their noticeable scars and emotional pain...it was also humbling and inspiring to tangibly see and feel their hope. Their spirit of unity, community, and courage. For many, their faith in Christ. Their yearning for better things for their children.

This was one of the villages we visited. I spent some time talking and hearing their stories and dreams...and all they could talk about was wanting a better school and education for their children. Again and again.
It's obvious that the Western world is incredibly rich but in many ways, we are so impoverished ... and have much to learn from our global neighbors.

• "There are two ways to get enough. One is to continue to accumulate more & more. The other is to desire less." - GKC youtube.com/watch?v=EAqNV2… || 1 hour ago
  • If the God of the universe was born in a dirty messy manger, there is no mess in our lives that God is not willing to step into. God cares. || 1 day ago
  • Grieving & praying for the families of the 141 children & school staff killed in #PeshawarAttack. Lord, in your mercy. Lord, come quickly. || 1 day ago
  • The great deception of racism is to exist while many people believing it doesn't exist. Reconciliation first acknowledges pain & brokenness. || 1 day ago
  • God often leads us on journeys we would never go on if it were up to us. Don't be afraid. Take courage. Have faith. Trust God. || 2 days ago
  • Praying for the city and people of Sydney and nation of Australia. We are grieving for this tragedy. #sydneysiege || 3 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,074 other followers