i liked this pastor more when he was talking about pisseth against the wall

Some of you may have already heard about a “pastor” from Arizone named Steven Anderson making some ripples by his anti-Barackisms. He preached a sermon entitled, “Why I Hate Barack Obama.” Hate is a strong word but if that’s what he felt convicted to preach…He certainly has that right and freedom.  But then to preach that he prays that Barack Obama would die due to brain cancer is downright scary and crazy. It’s as bad as saying he wants the president to “melt like a snail with salt on it.”  Oh wait…he said that too.

And just when you thought this couldn’t get any crazier, one of his congregants, Christopher Broughton, actually showed up at an Obama rally the following day [after the sermon] brandished with an assault rifle and a gun. Gulp. [source]

Asides from your other comments, here’s my question to you:

When your neighbor, friend, co-worker or whoever (someone who is not a Christian) asks you about this pastor and his comments/this situation, how do you respond?

What folks don’t know is that I’ve blogged about this pastor once before. And while I don’t want to make it a regular habit to be knocking on other pastors, I want to officially go on the record and say that I liked Steven Anderson a lot more when he was preaching about men pissing against the wall.  When I showed this video on my blog, I never knew that he’d become a national “celebrity”…

I’m going to go out on a limb and speculate that he doesn’t use the TNIV translation for his preaching.

Here’s the news from Fox News:

A Phoenix-area pastor has started to draw protesters to his congregation after he delivered a sermon titled, “Why I Hate Barack Obama,” and told his parishioners that he prays for President Obama’s death.

Pastor Steven Anderson stood by his sermon in an interview with MyFOXPhoenix, which reports that the pastor continues to encourage his parishioners to join him in praying for the president’s death.

“I hope that God strikes Barack Obama with brain cancer so he can die like Ted Kennedy and I hope it happens today,” he told MyFOXPhoenix on Sunday. He called his message “spiritual warfare” and said he does not condone killing.

But a small crowd of protesters gathered around his church Sunday, calling Anderson’s words “incomprehensible.” And MyFOXPhoenix reported that the sermon, which has drawn widespread attention, led to death threats against the pastor.

Anderson’s inflammatory message stems in part from Obama’s abortion-rights stance.

In Anderson’s controversial sermon, delivered at his Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe before Obama arrived for a speech in Phoenix earlier in the month, the pastor said he wants the president to “melt like a snail” with salt on it.

“I’m gonna pray that he dies and goes to hell when I go to bed tonight. That’s what I’m gonna pray,” he told his congregation.

The last time fierce opposition to Obama’s abortion position drew widespread attention was when Obama delivered the commencement address at the University of Notre Dame.

The Anderson sermon also drew concern after it was reported that one man carrying an assault rifle outside the Phoenix arena where Obama spoke was a member of Anderson’s church.

Filed under: , , ,

1. BL78 says:

If he truly wants Obama to die and go to hell, he needs to be removed from the pulpit and get some counseling. People like him give a terrible image about Christianity.

2. warren says:

I just had a feeling his “pisseth against the wall” sermon would not be the last I’d see of him. I really wish I was wrong.

3. Mike says:

Eugene, in answer to your question I’d respectfully suggest that what I would NOT say is “Hate is a strong word but if that’s what he felt convicted to preach…”

Peace.

4. missional girl says:

No words for him other than Matthew 7:21-23. Like I’ve said elsewhere: some of us will be surprised by who we see in heaven with the Lord Jesus. Others will be surprised that they are not their. God’s grace through the Lord Jesus is all we have and need. I feel sorry for him.

5. [...] i liked this pastor more when he was talking about pisseth against the wall « eugene cho eugenecho.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/i-liked-this-pastor-when-he-was-talking-about-pisseth-against-the-wall – view page – cached #eugene cho RSS Feed eugene cho » i liked this pastor more when he was talking about pisseth against the wall Comments Feed eugene cho seattle post intelligencer the outcry over obama’s speech to america’s youth — From the page [...]

6. John Harvey says:

He is definitely a Pharisaical pariah in the church. This guy hates everyone. although I do not believe in President Obama’s position on most issues, I pray for him and our nation. I respond to people who talk about guys like this in saying that they do not represent what Christ is about. We can disagree with our leaders, but to actually pray for death or harm to come to someone is not Christlike in any form.

7. Megan says:

I would say, if asked, that this man’s words are the exact opposite of what Jesus preached and that he does not at all represent the teachings of Christianity with a sermon like that.

8. Joe Louthan says:

Oh RIGHT! This is the guy who likes to use the translation that mentions unicorns not once, not twice but nine times.

I don’t like kicking any translation because Word of God is Word of God.

I could go on and on how the KJV comes from a source that had 800 copies versus the other translations using 16,000 and blah, blah, blah…

But the one thing that will keep me from going back to KJV is unicorns.

Unicorns.

9. hannah says:

To what church body/demonination is he accountable to? This is a time when Church discipline is called for. Not only because he is wrong, but because he is misleading others. Disappointing and depressing.

10. hannah says:

And by Demonination I mean denomination… Sorry..

11. Carol Fenton says:

Disagree strongly w/Mike. This man is not convicted to preach anything but hate and extremism. He is taking the word and twisting it.

Hannah – I could be wrong – but I think that his church is independent.

12. Jim Black says:

The mistake being made by Christians who are fighting President Obama (and others) is addressed by the Apostle Paul in Ephesians 6:12 – “For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.”

It would be ok with me to have disagreement in the discussion of ideas and policies, but not to attack any flesh-and-blood creation of God. We are called to be FOR people, to love and serve them, even if they hate us.

Heaven forbid that we should get this right in America…we might see a true Kingdom revolution break out!

Have a beautiful revolution!
    Peace,
    Jim

13. Joy says:

Eugene…my husband and daughters attended a rally for love and peace outside Steven Anderson’s ‘church’ this past Sunday…CNN covered that news all day Sunday. Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLF0nbBOx_M
    *Side note…My 15 y.o duaghter is the one playing guitar in the opening segment…(o:

14. allen says:

Does anyone else think he looks just like Jack on LOST?

15. Joy says:

It’s not just his hatered for Obama that is disturbing to me…it’s his message of hate and violence preached against the homosexual community as well. Going as far as to say that if someone was to gun down a group of gays…( or explicatives he would use) it wouldn’t be murder…it would be exacting God’s righteous judgement against them…because God hates them. Remember several of his parishoners wear guns to church…

16. Craig says:

On a lighter note, he definitely has the Dubya head-bob down.

17. CN says:

This really scares me and makes me ask many questions. Such as, members of his congregation are listening to him; shouldn’t they have read enough of the Bible to tell this Pastor that his hate is very UN-Christ like? Why does he even have a congregation left to preach to?

I also wonder why there isn’t more of an outcry. If a non-caucasian, non-Christian religious leader was preaching hate there would be a HUGE outcry and very negative stereotypes of Christians would emerge. However, people are able to realize that this is just ONE Pastor and ONE congregation and it’s not representative of all Christians. Society isn’t so generous to non-Christians when a member of their faith preaches hate or extremism.

18. Andy McMahon says:

This guy is clearly retarded.

19. Tony Lin says:

The real injustice here is that if a Arab Muslim Imam preached this message he would already be in Guantanamo. But because it is a while “Christian” male he is allowed to walk around and freely preach hate against a democratically elected president.

Don’t tell me race don’t matter in this country…

20. If someone were to ask me about “Steve Anderson” before reading this post then I would have said, “Steve who?” Oh you mean the pisseth against the wall guy.

Now I would say, “Brother Steve has taken the prophetic rhetoric of the OT seriously but maybe hasn’t grasped the Pauline rhetoric of encouragement and admonition.”

21. Steve Rose says:

Having just moved to the Phoenix area to plant a church, I can tell you I’ve already had 3 conversations with people about this guy…his face and rants are what people associate with Christianity here, and the people I’ve spoken w/ who don’t go to church are that much harder to reach w/ the truth due to his press. I’ll just have to work a little harder to build community with them so they see only my first name is what I have in common with him…or maybe I’ll change my name ;)

22. Erick says:

@ Paul Sheneman and BL78, I really appreciate your comments…good words. This is someone who needs prayer no doubt. I feel like I would have to echo these two comments as well as say that I need to pray for my heart (lest I get too heated and hatred grabs me) as well as for him. Why does love have to be so hard?

btw, there is another AZ pastor with the same ideas…A professor of mine posted this last week and disturbed me greatly, I encourage you to read the entire article…

sorry you can’t click the link, copy and paste works just fine.

23. Jenni says:

I don’t know whether to be ashamed, to laugh, or to be angry. Watching his statement about pissing on the wall? I can’t help but think of that line “I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!”

Hopefully those outside of the church can recognize that we are not in agreement with his sermons.

24. Jason says:

Do we give this man the attention and reaction he craves from saying outrageous things? I think this was a publicity stunt. I think all the media attention and public protests only feed his need for power. Note to the media: treat it as you do whenever a 2 year old has a temper tantrum–do your best to ignore it and don’t reinforce it so the silly behavior is extinguished.

25. peter says:

Everyone has a right to his/her opinion, but NO ONE, absolutely no one, has the right or freedom to use the pulpit to preach CRAP just because it is according to his conviction. It is not his pulpit for heaven’s sake. There is absolutely no excuse! Christians should express outrage!

26. The Chiz says:

Grade A 100% Organically Certified NUTJOB. He probably has a compound somewhere, and probably HASN’T paid his taxes in a while.

27. gar says:

How sad.

I guess what they say is true – the hardest thing about being a Christian is… other “Christians”.

28. Troy says:

To the person asking for denominational accountability and discipline, his church is an independent, Fundamentalist, separationist Baptist church. There is no real denomination; each church is its own in an archipelago of the faithful. About as low church as you can get. Well, that and quite angry. Zwingli with a gun.

29. He’s the same guy in the “Pisseth Against the Wall” video? Wow, I had no idea! Dude’s definitely got some issues.

30. Frank Kim says:

I blogged also about his “Pisseth Against the Wall” sermon too. But I kind of wondered if it was staged, it was that ridiculous!

31. [...] percent more death threats per day different. And I’m not sure if that counts the pastors praying for his death. In such an atmosphere, it’s up to the rest of us to offer far more Christ-like prayers for [...]

32. Wow…and he says he follows a crucified savior, one who washed the feet of his own betrayer, allowed Himself to be executed unjustly,gave up complete control of His life…How do people miss these things?? I don’t know, maybe Jesus sat down when He peed.
    Anyway, we sure do not have to agree w this guy, but we do have to pray for him and love him. I pray that God will show him His love in ways that he cannot deny.

33. [...] insult boy bands, watch Ultimate Fight Club Championship, drive Hummers and four wheel trucks, pisseth against walls while standing up, be obsessed with Jack Bauer, hunt bears, etc.  I do all of these things – with the exception of [...]