my official announcement to enter into politics

I am back from a few days in Washington DC thanks to the generosity of the ONE CAMPAIGN.  Also, spent some great time with the staff of Sojourners.  But the main reason why I went to Washington DC was to meet with my political consultants and constituents and to declare my intent to enter into politics.  Here’s my official video announcement appropriately in front of the White House.  I hope I can count on your support in 2012!

If you’re reading this via a RSS reader, you’ll need to click here to watch the video:

But alas, my wife, Minhee, again keeps it real and reminds me I am ineligible to run for the President of the United States since I wasn’t born in the U.S.  Where’s the Governator Schwarzenegger when you need him?

In between some great learning sessions on “mobilization to end poverty” and great conversations with the staff of ONE, Sojourners, Jim Wallis, Brian McLaren, Soong Chan Rah, Debbie Blue, and many other great conversations, Minhee and I had a small window to do some sightseeing.  Here are some pics:

The National Treasury.  I went to ask for my bailout but the statue didn’t respond.

the national treasury

The White House.  No sightings of the President, First Lady, the kids, or even the first dog.

p1020040

I texted but President Obama didn’t respond to my text message.  I’m beginning to think that we’re not friends.  The gate never opened up.

p1020041

Minhee and I loved sitting here and soaking in the beautiful weather and the sight of the Washington Monument and took a few cool photos.

Washington Monument

Washington Monument

Washington Monument

And the highlight of the short excursion was the visit to the Lincoln Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial

Filed under: , , , ,

1. The Chiz says:

Man… I was getting ready to make several thousand “Vote For PE CHO” t shirts. It worked for Pedro, right?

2. Cynthia says:

Make the shirts, I want one!

3. Tyler says:

great pics. sorry about the bad news during your announcement.

4. iy says:

the korean war memorial is really moving. sorry obama didn’t text you back. he missed out, huh. opportunity only knocks once, or whatever the saying is.

5. eugenecho says:

@iy: it was. we spent some time there and saving those pics for another post.

as for where we ate: ben’s chili bowl was the only one of note. we ate a cheap chinese restaurant 2 blocks from our hotel. didn’t really have too much time to explore the city.

6. Jason Douros says:

Ah the monuments. Reminds me of nearly every field trip in Elementary and Middle school.

Growing up in the area, you lose some of the appreciation for the whole scene when you see them at least once or twice every year.

Thanks for the fresh look at them.

Cryptological Museum at the NSA is pretty cool too.

7. eugenecho says:

@jason douros: it was beautiful but i don’t miss the east coast humidity. it was there in full force on mon/tuesday. think it was close to 85-90. yuck.

8. Maren says:

During my visit a year ago, the Lincoln memorial was also my favorite part. I got really emotional, which was something I was not expecting. Then when I went back on my last day, I cried again! All the tourists thought I was weird.

I really enjoyed your pictures though. Makes me want to go back!

9. djchuang says:

Used to have Washington DC in my back yard, for years. Still an awe-inspiring place. You’ve got a great photographer there with you.

And, I am DJ Chuang.

10. eugenecho says:

dj: it was so muggy though and it was only april! i certainly don’t miss the humid days of NJ.

the pics were taken by moi and moi wife. not bad for a point and shoot.

11. [...] are not alone: an interview with jim wallis Recently, I had the privilege of spending some time in Washington DC – where I also announced my entrance (and short lived) into politics. There, I met some old [...]

12. [...] I had the privilege of spending some time in Washington DC – where I also announced my entrance (and short lived career) into politics. There, I met some old [...]

Humbled.and grateful. Today is the "official release" of my first book, OVERRATED. That means it's NOW available everywhere ONLINE and at you favorite bookstore. Appreciate your support in sharing this book with the world. - AreYouOverrated.com

Praying that this book helps the believer grow in their discipleship and the non-believer to be fascinated by the Gospel. Thank you Bend, Oregon. Loved exploring & hiking around your beautiful area. Going to bring my fishing rod next time. Sabbathing. Pouring into my soul. We can't give what we don't have. I love my church. So proud of the ways they seek to embody compassion and justice. Some of them were in downtown Seattle this week to demonstrate their solidarity with Ferguson.

I'm in the middle of a 3 month sabbatical at Quest. I'm grateful for this time of rest and rejuvenation...but I miss my church dearly. Can't wait to be back in October. There are some amazingly beautiful churches around the world. Just remember though that true worship begins when you exit the church walls and live out your faith and convictions.

#LightandSalt
#PrincetonUniversity Home, sweet home.
#seattle

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 981 other followers