one of the greatest days of my life

jcbaptism1

This past Sunday was one of the greatest days of my life.  Minhee and I, along with our other two younger children, and the larger Quest family, witnessed the baptism of my oldest daughter, JC, who after much prayer, chose to make this public profession of her love and devotion to Jesus.  Minhee and the kids came on stage along with others in JC’s class and I had the great joy as her father to baptize her.

It is really hard to put into words  the emotions that Minhee and I experienced but in two words:

Amazing Grace.

Each of our children are proof of God’s amazing grace over our lives.  It wasn’t long ago that JC was just a precocious and precious 2 year old girl with a smile that made my knees weak.

dsc00050

She then started forming some of her own thoughts and opinions. When she learned how to write some words around 6 years old, she wrote this note and placed it on her door after getting in trouble for something:

And then in fourth grade, she blew us away with  her answer to a homework assignment where she was asked to write an essay about how she would help others if she had $100,000. Her “vision plan” challenged and convicted us and helped give birth to our global poverty initiative. Click on the pic to read her essay.

copy-of-100kplan.jpg

Thank you God for giving Minhee and I the deep joy, privilege, and responsibility of nurturing, teaching, and sheperding our three children.  May we not just merely teach but demonstrate to them the wonders and grace of your amazing love through our lives, marriage, and parenting.  May we teach them to Love God and Love Neighbors; to Do Justice, Love Mercy, and Walk Humbly.

Filed under: , , , ,

1. jHong says:

what an incredible blessing she is! i had a late night on saturday but i wouldn’t have missed it for the world. i was so challenged and blessed by her sincere faith. i knew that i would cry at least a little but let me tell you, i was boohooing like WOAH. i feel so proud and so privileged to have been a small part of such a big day.

2. Al Shaw says:

Wow.

I had the privilege of baptizing my own two daughters several years back and I although we have not met, I can truely relate to all you have experienced.

Thank you Lord for your indescribable grace.

3. Yena says:

Congratulations! You are blessed – she’s a special girl and I’m sure God will accomplish great things through her. Thanks for sharing your special day with us.

4. mary miller says:

gorgeous girl inside & out. just wonderful. tnx 4 sharing such a blessing!

5. Jim Chen says:

Congrats PE and family! Not there to see that, but what a special day for everyone! Greetings and blessings from Guam!

6. henryjz says:

I look forward to the day that I get to do that with my kids. I celebrate with you. Awesome!

7. peter ong says:

that is just beautiful. thank for sharing your life with the blog world. you rock.

8. iy. says:

do not destervive!!! hahahahahahahahah awesome.
    i gotta get to know samohnim and your kids.

9. Jim Dekker says:

A great blessing and humble honor to see our children grow in Christ!

10. Hang says:

Your daughter is indeed a special girl to you and the Lord. I have a young todler and am praying everyday that someday when he grows up he will make his own dicision to accept Jesus Christ as your daughter did.

11. Beth says:

There are these moments that God gives pastors to help them through hard times!

Remember this day, and the privilege you have as a minister of the sacraments *to your own flesh and blood,* Eugene. I promise JC will remember the blessing of having *her father* baptize her, and give her the elements at communion.

What peculiar, and precious benefits of your calling!

12. your friend says:

I was moved to tears.

I was her age when I got baptized – baptism was like God’s text marker for me.

I pray it will be the same for her…

Lots of love from the other auntie!

13. […] ‘One of the greatest days of my life’ April 30, 2009 Eugene Cho celebrates the baptism of his daughter, Minhee […]

14. […] past week, at our church’s “Day Retreat”, marked another of  those memorable “one of the greatest days of my […]

Invest in your soul.
Read the Scriptures.
Pray & listen.
Embrace silence.
Go for a walk.
Laugh with friends.
Enjoy a good book.
Soak in God's creation.

#NatureIsMyLoveLanguage Final sunset.

Aloha. Mahalo. Hana hou. Ohana.

Thank you, Kona, the Whitlocks, YWAM, sea turtles, Nemo, Restorers DTS, and Scandinavian Shaved Ice. Our three children.

One will be heading off to college in one year. The 2nd in three years. In six years, Minhee and I will be empty nesters. As a young parent, my prayers for them often surrounded their purpose in life. While I still ponder those things, there are three things that I most pray for:

1. That they may love Christ and obey Christ. Not just the idea but to actually follow Christ and thus, to love people.

2. To hold God's Word - the Holy Scriptures - dear and near to their hearts.

3. To love one another and be there for one another for life. To be loyal to one another. To protect one another. To never allow pettiness, conflicts, jealousy,  money, or whatever to get between them in the future. Ever.
May it be so. Amen. Kona sunset. #nofilter

Perhaps from the outside...things look great but this has been one of the most challenging years of our life. The most painful has involved one of our kids who've had to endure through a lifelong chronic illness. This year, we've gone to the hospital 3-4 times/week trying to get her better. Ups and downs. Emotional roller coaster. Parents will understand this but nothing hurts more than a sick child...especially when you can't "fix" the situation. We were praying that our trip to Hawaii would be a balm for her soul...but it has been hard. Really hard. Lots of tears hard. But soaking in this sunset with our kids is something we don't want to take for granted.

We continue to pray and hope. Hope is not that God promises us perfection or everything we want but that in all situations...God is with us. Believing - while faltering - in this truth for our child. My Hawaiian Seattle Korean queen. #kona @minheejcho A family that hikes together stays together. #kona #pololuvalley

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,253 other followers