partnership with dr. cornel west

cornel_west_bet_hha-thumb-473x315

After some thought and prayer, I’ve decided to move forward with a partnership with Dr. Cornel West. I really like the dude and enjoy reading his stuff and ruminating on his perspective of power, religion, politics, church, class, etc.  His book, Race Matters, is a must read but be warned that it’ll make you uncomfortable.

What’s the partnership?

Okay…I’m exaggerating a bit.  But I’ve joined Dr. West and a list of numerous others including John Perkins, Anne Lamott, and Walter Brueggemann as a contributing editor of Sojourners Magazine. There’s no salary, private jet perks, or other VIP benefits but just being listed alongside West, Perkins, Lamott, Brueggemann and others pretty much sold me.

And to be honest, Cornel or others don’t even know that we’re in this “partnership” since they have no idea who I am but hey, it just sounds great to say that I’m in partnership with Doc West.  Maybe, Jesus will love me more because of  my resume.  Maybe a perk might be to actually meet these folks.  Actually, there’s really not that much to the responsibility but to write couple articles for the magazine and that’s something I enjoy doing anyway.

Here’s one of the more compelling quotes from Cornel West.

Read it.  What do you think?  Reflections?

“I speak as a Christian- one whose commitment to democracy is very deep but whose Christian convictions are deeper. Democracy is not my faith. And American democracy is not my idol. To see the gospel of Jesus Christ bastardized by imperial Christians and pulverized by Constantinian believers and then exploited by nihilistic elites of the American empire makes my blood boil. To be a Christian- a follower of Jesus Christ- is to love wisdom, love justice, and love freedom. This is the radical love in Christian freedom and the radical freedom in Christian love that embraces socratic questioning, prophetic witness, and tragicomic hope.

If Christians do not exemplify this love and freedom, then we side with the nihilists of the Roman empire (cowardly elite romans and subjugated jews) who put Jesus to a humiliating death. Instead of receiving his love in freedom as a life-enhancing gift of grace, we end up believing in the idols of the empire that nailed him to the cross. I do not want to be numbered among those who sold their souls for a mess of pottage- who surrendered their democratic Christian identity for a comfortable place at the table of the American empire while, like Lazarus, the least of these cried out and I was too intoxicated with worldly power and might to hear, beckon, and heed their cries.

To be a Christian is to live dangerously, honestly, freely- to step in the name of love as if you may land on nothing, yet to keep on stepping because the something that sustains you no empire can give you and no empire can take away. This is the kind of vision and courage required to enable the renewal of prophetic, democratic Christian identity in the age of the American empire.” -Cornel West

And for those that aren’t familiar with Cornel West, do yourself a favor and get familiar with him.  Whether you agree with him or not, his voice is important to both the church and larger culture.  Here’s his bio:

One of America’s most provocative public intellectuals, Cornel West has been a champion for racial justice since childhood. His writing, speaking, and teaching weave together the traditions of the black Baptist Church, progressive politics, and jazz. The New York Times has praised his “ferocious moral vision.”
Currently the Class of 1943 Professor at Princeton University, West burst onto the national scene in 1993 with his bestselling book, Race Matters, a searing analysis of racism in American democracy. Race Matters has become a contemporary classic, selling more than a half a million copies to date. In addition, West has published 18 other books and has edited 13 texts and has received more than 20 honorary degrees.

West earned two bachelor’s degrees from Harvard in three years, magna cum laude. Martin Kilson, one of his professors there, describes West as “the most intellectually aggressive and highly cerebral student I have taught.” After earning his Ph.D. at Princeton, he became a professor of religion and director of the Afro-American Studies program there. West has also taught at Union Theological Seminary, Yale, Harvard, and the University of Paris.

In his book, “Democracy Matters,” West analyzes the arrested development of democracy both in America and in the crisis-ridden Middle East. In his latest book, Hope on a Tightrope, he offers courageous commentary on issues that affect the lives of all Americans. Themes include Race, Leadership, Faith, Family, Philosophy, and Love and Service.

He also has produced 3 albums his latest CD, Never Forget: A Journey of Revelations is a collection of socially conscience music featuring collaborations with Prince, Outkast, Jill Scott, Talib Kweli and KRS-ONE. West also offers commentary weekly on The Tavis Smiley Show from PRI.

West was an influential force in developing the storyline for the popular Matrix movie trilogy and has served as its official spokesperson, as well as playing a recurring role in the final two films.

Filed under: culture, ,

1. Mike says:

Cornel West is one of handful of prophets in our age.

2. Nourisha says:

i love cornel west. i own all of his books and enjoy watching him on tv making people squirm because they are too cowardly to admit that it’s time for self reflection. haha.

3. semaphoric says:

Awesome opportunity Eugene, how did you get connected with West? West is totally right on with race issues. He was also pretty cool in Matrix 2. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw him sitting in the council deliberating over Neo’s fate.

4. Benny Salas says:

I have grown to embrace and enjoy his wisdom. I think it’s great to see how God is also using you in a platform of such influence as well. Be praying for you bro!

5. eugenecho says:

hey folks: don’t get too excited. he has no idea who i am nor do the others. i’m just on a list but it sure does sound good to be on the same list.

6. splinterlog says:

Hey congrats pastor Cho – Sojourners has been and important influence in my life and I’m glad to see that you will be able to influence another generation of young Christians through the publication.

… and if you do ever meet brother West give him a hug from me.

7. queermergent says:

CONGRATS! LOVE Cornel West whenever i see him on TV. i will have to read him someday. i always thought it would be cool to take a class with him.

Adele

8. minna says:

hey PE ….
    congrats on the new “gig”!
    i heart cornel west. he’s is so profound in what he says … it always takes me a while to take it all in. i feel like he’s on fast forward and i’m in slo-mo. people will get a great intro to him in “call and response”. the interaction between him and justin is absolutely hilarious to me!!

9. blackwasp19 says:

Cornel West is an incredible prophetic voice. Although, you may never actually work WITH him, even working on the same project is pretty amazing.

By the way, you are in some good company with John Perkins, Anne Lamott, and Walter Brueggueman as well.

I hope that this brings Cornel West more into the fold of “Evangelical” Christianity. He has some important things to say.

10. eugenecho says:

all i know is that i need to get a picture like that one above.

dang.

11. jHong says:

um, though it hurts me to draw attention to it, i’m afraid to say you already have one.

12. gar says:

I think I’ve already said this before, but getting Dr. West to speak at Quest would make for a pretty freak’n rad “Faith & Race” class…

13. anne says:

i have so enjoyed seeing your name pop up in the God’s Politics blogs. Selfishly, because I feel cool knowing I already read what you wrote because I follow you apart from Sojourners. But also for you to be out there and known.

May you find encouragement as well as challenge amongst brothers and sisters striving for jesus, love, peace and justice.

Going to the M2E?!?!?!

14. Tracy says:

I had the honor to hear him speak at the University of Washington and he was great. Cornel has grown over the years and I was glad for him. He is a man, that understands how racial ideologies in American christianity has harmed us and will awaken us. He has the right understanding of religion vs christianity. Some of his philosophies are on point.

15. Aaron says:

Wow… a partnership with Dr. West (whether he knows it or not) is amazing. Back at Whitman I had the honor to have dinner with him and a few other students and he is so humble and down to earth…came to each one of us, shook our hand, asked for our name and didn’t ask twice for the rest of the night. Incredible orator, prophetic voice, necessary message. His critique on Constantinian Christianity definitely speaks to us in America today. I’m so glad Quest will be showing Call + Response because Doc West drops knowledge.

16. Tom says:

Sorry to hear that somebody who creates fictional commentators and their responses on his own blog got a spot with Sojourners. Don’t think the editors there would be happy to hear that you may have made up some of the interesting ‘dialogue’ on your blog.

Haven’t heard from ‘Jack Danger Canty’ or some of your other creative characters/responders recently :^)

I really have no problem with a ‘magical realistic’ blog where real people and their responses mix with fictional characters and their responses. That’s cool if it serves, but you really should let everybody in on the method :^)

Who knows? Maybe a lot of people would still be interested.

17. eugenecho says:

@tom: wow. you found out. :^)

bizarre comment, tom.

but i agree. i think it’s time to move on. there’s better stuff out there for you. blessings to you especially on your NP endeavor.

e

I love my church. So proud of the ways they seek to embody compassion and justice. Some of them were in downtown Seattle this week to demonstrate their solidarity with Ferguson.

I'm in the middle of a 3 month sabbatical at Quest. I'm grateful for this time of rest and rejuvenation...but I miss my church dearly. Can't wait to be back in October. There are some amazingly beautiful churches around the world. Just remember though that true worship begins when you exit the church walls and live out your faith and convictions.

#LightandSalt
#PrincetonUniversity Home, sweet home.
#seattle 17.5 Year Anniversary!
We still got it. We look gooooood!

Blessed to be back in Princeton, NJ for couple days recently. We had our wedding ceremony in Korea but got "legally" married in the US at Miller Chapel in Princeton Seminary. So, it was only fitting to go back and have my kids take our 17.5 Anniversary  pics. Someday when our kids become adults and they feel like their parents wronged them or neglected them, and they feel like they need to get counseling... I'm going to show them this picture and say, "I HAVE PROOF. WE TOOK YOU TO NYC AND BOUGHT TICKETS TO WICKED ON BROADWAY!" RIP Robin Williams.
Folks: Please go and - call or hug your loved ones. Tell them you love them. Remind them how you much appreciate them.

We need to (re)learn how to be more human. Don't avoid eye contact. Don't hide behind gadgets. Smile often - both to neighbors and strangers alike. Ask about peoples' stories. And listen.

And most importantly, remind yourself that YOU are loved. Not just merely by your loved ones but also by the ONE who created all that is good and beautiful.

• When I'm tempted to be significant,I have to remind myself that I am nothing apart from the grace of God...and that becomes my significance. || 26 minutes ago
  • We have enough. God has given us enough. God IS our enough. - youtube.com/watch?v=z3V1YN… #OverratedBook || 1 hour ago
  • Getting on a plane. Going to recline my seat. Pray for me. || 1 day ago
  • Breathe. Show yourself some grace. We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a cheerful heart. || 1 day ago
  • You don't need to be the "most influential" to everyone, you just need to influence the people you've been called to. || 1 day ago
  • Rather than always looking for the spectacular, we have to learn to find purpose, beauty, and meaning in the mundane and every day. || 2 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 980 other followers