video interview: dave gibbons & ‘the monkey and the fish’

gibbons21I want to introduce you to Dave Gibbons. He’s known in some circles and not in others but what he has to share and offer is important to the larger Church – especially as the World changes in a way that the majority of the Church cannot see or [want to] acknowledge.  I first met Dave about 14 years ago on a tour bus in Seoul, Korea [a long story].  This was before he planted NewSong Church and before Quest Church was even a thought in my heart.

One of the things that’s most impressed me about Dave – in his various roles – is his vision as a ‘social entrepeneur.’ And honestly, I’m also encouraged that he’s one of the handful of Asian-American faces that’s recognized in the so called ‘mainstream subculture of Western Christianity’.  Truth be told, he’s half Korean and half Irish but we’re going to go ahead and claim him.

As my readers know, I’m working through my list of books I want to read this year and his new book, The Monkey and the Fish: Liquid Leadership in a Third Culture Church,is on that list.  I had a chance to sit down with him and ask about leadership, his understanding of social entrepreneurship, ministry and of course, the idea of “Third Culture’ and The Monkey and the Fish.’  You may also be interested in checking out my recent video interviews with Scot McKnight and Phyllis Tickle.

Here’s the interview:

Filed under: asian-american, christianity, emerging church, ministry, pastors, religion,

1. good stuff man, thanks for sharing this. I started reading his book on the plane today and am absolutely loving it…

2. Wayne Park says:

Dave cites Nouwen’s In The Name of Jesus as his premiere book for leadership. Man am I thankful for this, as it is a book that’s affecting me deeply now. I’m glad he didn’t mention something from John Maxwell or some other CEO-type leadership approach, not that it’s bad, but it’s just not it when it comes to pastoral leadership, I think.

3. coachmickey says:

Dave and Eugene,
    Awesome and thanks for sharing.
    I will be speaking with Dave before I leave for France and The Philippines.
    Who knows, a side trip to a seriously rural area is in the plan too?

4. steph says:

great book – i actually just finished reading it and immediately turned back to the beginning to read it over again! thanks for the interview.

5. akoosticman says:

going to read this on the plane ride back tomorrow! good seeing you eugene!

6. Lon says:

I’m reading this one right now.. thanks for sharing to the both of you!

7. Charles Lee says:

Dude…I should have had you do all the interviews at the Idea Camp…:) You’re awesome. It was good to hang out with you this past weekend.

8. Barb says:

Eugene, I love all your interviews–I’ve just finished this book–I’ve been trying to tell people what it is about–now I’ll send them a link to this interview.

9. daniel so says:

Eugene — Great interview! Dave’s insights into leadership are really powerful. I’m still wrapping my head around some of the things he talked about at The Idea Camp… leadership is building trust and bearing pain; leadership is painful adaptation. I’m with Wayne – that Dave cites Nouwen as a primary influence is so encouraging.

10. DK says:

Eugene! It was great downing some Chik-Fil-A and In N Out while talking about the Literacy issues of our friend at the table… haha. would love to visit Seattle some day and hang with y’all! Great job on the interview

11. […] the way, davegibbons.tv is now powered by wordpress too! Plus, Eugene Cho interviewed Dave this past weekend; watch the video at eugenecho.com […]

12. What a great book.. the book says several things which seem so obvious to many people who live outside of America that you wonder why anyone would write a whole book about it. But these are not that obvious to large segments of the evangelical world in the U.S.

13. […] grateful for these words, working in my soul right now. Which is why I was so thrilled to hear in Eugene Cho’s interview of Dave Gibbons that his (Gibbon’s) fav book on leadership is the above book by Nouwen. You kind of see why […]

14. Currently it looks like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

15. Janean Devan says:

Usually I do not read post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite nice post.

Final sunset.

Aloha. Mahalo. Hana hou. Ohana.

Thank you, Kona, the Whitlocks, YWAM, sea turtles, Nemo, Restorers DTS, and Scandinavian Shaved Ice. Our three children.

One will be heading off to college in one year. The 2nd in three years. In six years, Minhee and I will be empty nesters. As a young parent, my prayers for them often surrounded their purpose in life. While I still ponder those things, there are three things that I most pray for:

1. That they may love Christ and obey Christ. Not just the idea but to actually follow Christ and thus, to love people.

2. To hold God's Word - the Holy Scriptures - dear and near to their hearts.

3. To love one another and be there for one another for life. To be loyal to one another. To protect one another. To never allow pettiness, conflicts, jealousy,  money, or whatever to get between them in the future. Ever.
May it be so. Amen. Kona sunset. #nofilter

Perhaps from the outside...things look great but this has been one of the most challenging years of our life. The most painful has involved one of our kids who've had to endure through a lifelong chronic illness. This year, we've gone to the hospital 3-4 times/week trying to get her better. Ups and downs. Emotional roller coaster. Parents will understand this but nothing hurts more than a sick child...especially when you can't "fix" the situation. We were praying that our trip to Hawaii would be a balm for her soul...but it has been hard. Really hard. Lots of tears hard. But soaking in this sunset with our kids is something we don't want to take for granted.

We continue to pray and hope. Hope is not that God promises us perfection or everything we want but that in all situations...God is with us. Believing - while faltering - in this truth for our child. My Hawaiian Seattle Korean queen. #kona @minheejcho A family that hikes together stays together. #kona #pololuvalley Searching for Nemo. #kona #snorkeling #speechless

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,253 other followers