video interview: dave gibbons & ‘the monkey and the fish’

gibbons21I want to introduce you to Dave Gibbons. He’s known in some circles and not in others but what he has to share and offer is important to the larger Church – especially as the World changes in a way that the majority of the Church cannot see or [want to] acknowledge.  I first met Dave about 14 years ago on a tour bus in Seoul, Korea [a long story].  This was before he planted NewSong Church and before Quest Church was even a thought in my heart.

One of the things that’s most impressed me about Dave – in his various roles – is his vision as a ‘social entrepeneur.’ And honestly, I’m also encouraged that he’s one of the handful of Asian-American faces that’s recognized in the so called ‘mainstream subculture of Western Christianity’.  Truth be told, he’s half Korean and half Irish but we’re going to go ahead and claim him.

As my readers know, I’m working through my list of books I want to read this year and his new book, The Monkey and the Fish: Liquid Leadership in a Third Culture Church,is on that list.  I had a chance to sit down with him and ask about leadership, his understanding of social entrepreneurship, ministry and of course, the idea of “Third Culture’ and The Monkey and the Fish.’  You may also be interested in checking out my recent video interviews with Scot McKnight and Phyllis Tickle.

Here’s the interview:

Filed under: asian-american, christianity, emerging church, ministry, pastors, religion,

1. good stuff man, thanks for sharing this. I started reading his book on the plane today and am absolutely loving it…

2. Wayne Park says:

Dave cites Nouwen’s In The Name of Jesus as his premiere book for leadership. Man am I thankful for this, as it is a book that’s affecting me deeply now. I’m glad he didn’t mention something from John Maxwell or some other CEO-type leadership approach, not that it’s bad, but it’s just not it when it comes to pastoral leadership, I think.

3. coachmickey says:

Dave and Eugene,
    Awesome and thanks for sharing.
    I will be speaking with Dave before I leave for France and The Philippines.
    Who knows, a side trip to a seriously rural area is in the plan too?

4. steph says:

great book – i actually just finished reading it and immediately turned back to the beginning to read it over again! thanks for the interview.

5. akoosticman says:

going to read this on the plane ride back tomorrow! good seeing you eugene!

6. Lon says:

I’m reading this one right now.. thanks for sharing to the both of you!

7. Charles Lee says:

Dude…I should have had you do all the interviews at the Idea Camp…:) You’re awesome. It was good to hang out with you this past weekend.

8. Barb says:

Eugene, I love all your interviews–I’ve just finished this book–I’ve been trying to tell people what it is about–now I’ll send them a link to this interview.

9. daniel so says:

Eugene — Great interview! Dave’s insights into leadership are really powerful. I’m still wrapping my head around some of the things he talked about at The Idea Camp… leadership is building trust and bearing pain; leadership is painful adaptation. I’m with Wayne – that Dave cites Nouwen as a primary influence is so encouraging.

10. DK says:

Eugene! It was great downing some Chik-Fil-A and In N Out while talking about the Literacy issues of our friend at the table… haha. would love to visit Seattle some day and hang with y’all! Great job on the interview

11. […] the way, davegibbons.tv is now powered by wordpress too! Plus, Eugene Cho interviewed Dave this past weekend; watch the video at eugenecho.com […]

12. What a great book.. the book says several things which seem so obvious to many people who live outside of America that you wonder why anyone would write a whole book about it. But these are not that obvious to large segments of the evangelical world in the U.S.

13. […] grateful for these words, working in my soul right now. Which is why I was so thrilled to hear in Eugene Cho’s interview of Dave Gibbons that his (Gibbon’s) fav book on leadership is the above book by Nouwen. You kind of see why […]

14. Currently it looks like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

15. Janean Devan says:

Usually I do not read post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite nice post.

This is real life. #endit #modernslavery #fightinjustice

If you've ever prayed, donated, shared our stories, prayed, launched a campaign for @onedayswages - YOU made this possible. Our matching grant with @theexodusroad allowed us to support a portion of school fees for 11 young trafficking survivors in Thailand. For obvious reasons, we can't show their faces but we do what we do because we believe every person is created in the image of God. Honored to partner with The Exodus Road and others to play a small part in the restoration of these young kids. Wow. Seattle clouds. Backyard.

Stop for God's beauty, mystery, and glory. My prayer for my kids: Love God. Love people. And be there for one another for life. Most of us take water for granted.  It's as easy as turning on our faucet but approximately 748 million people in the world still lack access to clean water. This past December,  I had the privilege of visiting Myanmar and vividly remember walking the journey of what many have to do when they go to a nearby pond to get their water. As you can imagine, many get sick... We can't change the entire world but we can impact the world of some and most importantly, be changed ourselves. Partner with @onedayswages @worldconcern @miir to come alongside 7 villages in Myanmar that were devastated by Cyclone Nargis in 2008. - http://onedayswages.org Couple special days encouraging pastors and leaders from the beautiful state of Montana. Took some personal time for self-care to hike up this cliff. @SeattleQuest is on the move! Lots of mixed emotions but grateful for God's provision. We hope to move in to our new home this October.

Visit eugenecho.com to read the details and how you can pray for us.

• "The gift of Christ is not the Christian religion, but the grace and love of God which culminate in the cross." - Bonhoeffer || 5 hours ago
  • Wow. What the hail is going on? Epic thunder and hail in Seattle. OK. Who sinned? Fess up. || 22 hours ago
  • In his final days,Jesus washed dirty feet, ate with misfits - including a man who He knew would betray him - and forgave his enemies. #grace || 1 day ago
  • RT @seattlequest: @EugeneCho #holyweek http://t.co/LhnRYuEbVj || 1 day ago
  • In his final week, Jesus borrowed a donkey, washed dirty feet, forgave his enemies & went to the Cross. This is LOVE: wp.me/pT6R-2N7 || 2 days ago
  • The question we must ask isn't , "Was Jesus King?" but rather, "What kind of King was Jesus?" Our answer makes all the difference. || 3 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,194 other followers