video interview with scot mcknight

One of my goals this year is to read 23 books and many of you shared some of the books you’re hoping to read this year in an earlier post.  I had the cool privilege of running into Scot McKnight recently – author of Jesus Creed and The Blue Parakeet [which is on my list].  He also happens to be one of my favorite bloggers although I suspect he may be taking steroids.  How else can he produce so many posts for his blog?  Random test, I say.

But stupidity got the best of me during the interview and I made a bet with him I simply don’t have much confidence in.  The Bet:  Chicago Cubs vs. Seattle Mariners.  Who will win the most games?  Loser sends a pound of “home” coffee to the other.

Here’s the interview about Scot, blogging, the 100-300 or so books he reads in a year, and his latest book advocating for the ‘Third Way’ of reading the Scriptures:

Filed under: bible, christianity, church, emerging church, ministry, pastors, ,

1. Tyler says:

great stuff.

funny to hear two fans brag on their teams.

2. eugenecho says:

i love what kristen, scot’s wife, wrote on fbook:

“Get that Stumptown coffee ready to send, Eugene!”

3. Jon says:

Great stuff! Thanks for posting this.

4. goldfearsnofire says:

you must be the only pastor i know with a professional camera man following him around! thanks for posting this eugene, it was fun watching the two of you guys interact.

5. eugenecho says:

the wonders of a point and shoot camera.

heard you’re ripping up the hoops in germany.

6. […] want to spread rumors but I’m pretty sure she’s on steroids too…just like Scot McKnight. […]

7. […] and the Fish.’  You may also be interested in checking out my recent video interviews with Scot McKnight and Phyllis […]

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

The Western Wall in Old City of Jerusalem (aka The Wailing Wall) - from the Second Jewish Temple.

I'm hoping to share a few stories of people that I met (Jewish, Muslims, and Christians) in the Holy Land in the days to come. One of our Palestinian tour guides said to me, "You will leave with more questions...and that's a good thing." He was absolutely right. We want everything so nicely packaged but if we're honest, it's very rare in a broken, complex world...and I can't think of too many things more complex than the situation in Israel and Palestine.

While I certainly understand and resonate with Israel and its history and its need to protect itself from harm, one can't deny the history and existence of Palestine as well.
Is peace possible? This was the focus of my trip to the Holy learn more about the conflict and those that are working towards peace. My friend, Scott (and other pastor), Mae (our guide) and I had the privilege of going to a Jewish synagogue this past Friday. We were then hosted by a local rabbi and his family for a Shabbat meal. It was marvelous. Incredible. Illuminating. Delicious. A true honor to be invited to his home with his wife and three children. To pray, learn, share, and ask questions.
What I loved the most was the story of how Rabbi Daniel and his wife rented a bus to take 15 of their friends to the West Bank ... to see for themselves the impact of the wall and the Israeli policies. Some of their friends had never even entered the West Bank...don't personally know a Palestinian. It's impossible to work towards peace when we don't know anyone from the other side...when we don't understand the other side.

Thank you, Rabbi Daniel. Old Jerusalem. So many stories. So much history. The synagogue in Capernaum (Galilee) where Jesus began his public ministry. He taught with authority... Pray for your pastors and teachers...that they may teach with courage, conviction, humility, and ultimately, directing people to Christ - the Word made flesh.

Speaking of, so excited to be teaching at @Quest Church tomorrow. If you're in the Seattle area, join us. A glimpse of Jordan River where John baptized Jesus. "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." What amazes me most about this event is about...timing and patience. For Christ, it wasn't about "if" but about "when." In a world of supersonic pace,  impatience, quick results, hurry and now and NOW...Jesus waited for the Father's timing. He was patient and faithful. I need to learn that waiting on the Lord in itself isn't apathy but rather an act of faith. The town of Bethlehem and at the site of the cave (aka manger) of the birth of Christ.

One of the highlights was a class of Palestinian Muslims and Christian kids in a local public school singing a Christmas carol for us in Bethlehem...just across the Shepherd's Field. Galilee. Surreal to be at the mountainside where Jesus delivered "The Sermon on the Mount" ... aka The Beatitudes. Walking around praying for Paris, Beirut, Istanbul, Nigeria, Mali, Palestine/Israel... This verse is so particularly important in light of all the violence in the world. "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God." - Matthew 5:9

• In honor of Rosa Parks: Quiet, confident, strong, courageous, prophetic...and a follower of Christ. Preach, Rosa! - || 1 hour ago
  • Garrett Swasey: Christ Follower, Husband, Father, Pastor, & Police Officer. We see you. We honor you. Rest in peace: || 3 days ago
  • RIP Officer Garrett Swasey. We lift your wife, kids, church in heart & prayers. Thank you for your courage & faith:… || 3 days ago
  • RT @pastorbrady: We're so thankful today for all the first responders in Colorado Springs. You are heroes and deserve our respect and praye… || 3 days ago
  • Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Eat lots. Sleep lots. Enjoy your loved one lots. Thank God especially lots. || 4 days ago
  • Don't just count your blessings. Share your blessings. || 5 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,329 other followers