blog “open mic”

This is the 2nd blog “open mic” I’ve hosted here.  I hosted the first “open mic” several months ago after randomly feeling inspired to do so and got some interesting stuff.

What is a blog open mic? It’s simply a digital version of an OPEN MIC. The pic above is from an Open Mic we host at Q Cafe on Tuesday nights from 6-9pm for those that want to actually get on a small stage and get your talent on. In the comment section on this post, you can share anything – [well, almost anything]:

a joke, your blog, random thoughts, scripture, a news story, your personal story or introduction, world changing ideas, your music, YouTube videos; your confessions, rants against me, rage against the machine, inspiring stories, plug your bands, the answers to life, your hip hop flow, your art, your poetry, prose or haiku, interesting links, ads for a boyfriend or girlfriend, promote an event, conduct a fundraiser, share your faith, fears, insecurities, and hopes; social justice issues.

You can share whatever as long as it’s not hateful, vitriolic, etc.

So, here is your chance to express yourself.  Take a minute and “open mic.”

Filed under: technology, , ,

1. Jon says:

Psalm 23

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
    he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he refreshes my soul.
    He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.

4 Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,
    I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
    You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.

6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
    and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
    forever.

2. Jim Chen says:

This is the Australian band Planetshakers (great name) performing ‘Beautiful Saviour’.

3. jaredmlee says:

HEY What an opportunity! Thanks Eugene!

Here’s a self plug –

I graduate from seminary in May. I am confessionally reformed, and practically missional. I want to see God change communities from the inside out.

I want to live in a place and stay there, but I’m not sold on where just yet.

If you want to start a church that does everything it can to be incarnational in its community, or if you know of a church like that looking for a pastor or assistant, how about help me out!

here’s a link –

4. Paul says:

a reflection after my second visit to an orphanage dear to my heart:

a take on christianity (pardon the fact that this was from my time on xanga and not a “real blog =P)

5. Joy says:

I leave on January 3 for Haiti for a mission trip with 16 young adults and 2 other leaders. I get to do mission trips like this at least once a year but usually 2 or 3 times as well as setting up the trips, etc.

The sad part is that everytime I dread going because of how hard it will be (cold or no showers, hard beds, sweat, the GREAT chance that there will be diarrhea, etc) and on top of that I never want to leave my family. I feel guilty. I’m going to do the Lord’s work but I don’t really want to. I feel like Paul.

I’m always blessed by the trips. I’m always amazed at God’s goodness to me and his blessings but on this side of things I just don’t want to go. Most days I feel like a sham but I suppose we all are in light of his grace and mercy.

Just thought I’d share my struggle as a missioner with a heart for the world and home.

6. Donna says:

Joy, I admire you for confessing your thoughts & will be praying for you.

I am asking for prayer. Am a self-employed single mother, Christmas is 13 days away. Unable to travel home to Maryland to be w/the family, as things have been tight this year. Have a daughter who still believes in Santa; the Christmas shopping not done, etc. We have NEVER done without, God has always provided. Maybe it’s because I didn’t sleep well last night, but am feeling a little faint of heart this morning. Thanks in advance to all that will pray for us.

7. janowen says:

Donna, I am praying for you. The battle to not lose heart can be the bitterest battle of all.

I sense that 2009 will be a pivotal year for me. For starters, my last child graduates from high school and begins college, my oldest two kids graduate from college (one has applied for the Peace Corp) and we will celebrate our 25th anniversary. Also, we have a mission trip to prepare for and I am in the midst of writing a book (who knows about the publishing!?) and feel led to “go” much more this year. At church we are transitioning to a new pastor in the new year who will be my boss and I am very nervous about that. We’ve had three long, hard, difficult and extremely painful years.

So my prayer request is that I do not grow weary in doing what God has called me to do and that I will be able to step out in faith and obey some of the seemingly audacious things God is calling me to step forward and do. I feel He is saying, “Jan it is time for more.”

So here I am, God!

8. Dave Young says:

Eugene

I’ve never left a comment on your blog before but I have been reading for several months now. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your thoughts and find your writing to be consistenly insightful. If you like you can read some of my thoughts at http://www.allthingsnew21.blogspot.com.

9. […] Eugene Cho is having a ‘blog open mic’ day — go leave a comment, any comment! Related posts:“What faith orientated material(s) do you study during the […]

10. Fitz says:

A true story.

One day I was at work and received two phone calls. One from my doctor, telling me that my test results were back and, unfortunately, it was the “worst possible scenario” we had discussed at his office. Before I could even call my wife, the principle at my son’s pre-school called to tell me, personally, that my son’s one-on-one aide (he is non-verbal autistic) had been fired for physical child abuse and the matter referred to the police.

After getting my wife on the phone and confirming that she was with our son and that he was not seriously injured, I realized that I really, really, really wanted to go home. The one snag was that I had a multi-continant conference call that had been weeks in organization that afternoon. So I walked down the hall and asked my business partner to cover for me. Without any questions at all (he just took a look at my face) he said “no problem”, but asked if I could get one of the project engineers to sit in with him to help with technical issues.

Grateful, I walked down the hall and approached one of the engineers and asked her if she would sit in on the call at 4:30. She got a worried look and told me she had to leave early. I must have shown the disappointment on my face, because she started to hurrily explain, it was about her dog.

Just great, I thought, the dog is getting put down or something. Then I caught the words “he has been spending a lot of time with my boyfriend and I just can’t have him like him more than me…” I started to feel anger boil inside me, and I was just about to explode when I looked straight into her face and saw obvious dark circles under her eyes. In just a few heartbeats, I went from struggling to contain anger to struggling to contain laughter, not at her, but at myself.

Here is a woman, about 36 – half way through life’s journey, who seems to have everything, attractive, well educated, a six figure income, and she is tossing and turning all night long over doggy fealty and another of the long string of younger men she has sex with but with whom she can never seem to form deep emotional bonds.

I told her not to worry about it, went back to my office and called my wife to make sure she felt it would be OK for me to come home after the conferences call, then got down on my knees and prayed. Gratitude for all the blessings in my life, gratitude that my family, including my son, were ok, intercession for the poor coworker and he sorry emotional state, and forgiveness for my inability to pray for the man who had hurt my son.

Aside from a dose of perspective, something this left me with is a belief that all the metrics we normally use to measure each other don’t really mean much. By all the standard metrics, my son, not the co-worker, is where our sympathies should lay. But my son is very warm and affectionate, he freely gives love and is loved in return, and there isn’t an ounce of mean spiritness or malice in him. In those ways, he seems to be the more successful human person.

I have seen this sort of thing time and time again. For example, I helped with a developmentally disabled adult mountaineering team for several years. One of the members would never match me in income, education, physical endurance, or raw physical strength, but when it comes to personal courage, dedication and compassion for one’s team mates, and other measures of spiritual strength, I do not even come close.

It is something I try to keep in mind.

Peace

11. chad m says:

i’m trying to get more into blogging after a hiatus….i want to focus on youth ministry and the ever-changing world that i find myself working in…

12. Sam says:

If anyone in the San Diego area is looking for a missional/incarnational group, check out our blog at http://www.followserveunite.org/ We are focusing on the Normal Heights area. We are part of the church, but not traditional/institutional church.

13. Staci G says:

Because I’m trying to remember what SUMMER looks like!

In the courtyard

14. Kurt says:

I am wrestling with how poor theology can affect ecology… visit this conversation at: http://groansfromwithin.blogspot.com/

15. Tyler says:

i’ve been wrestling a lot with the idea of faith surviving when it seems that God has disappeared…..http://manofdepravity.com/2008/12/12/will-faith-survive-2/

16. jessicaschafer says:

I’ve been a lurker for awhile, but here’s a Christmas prayer I wrote recently:

God of our grace and light
    God of our suffering and darkness
    Remind us again
    of your vulnerability
    and compassion
    Give us faith like a child
    faith in the child
    that opened our eyes to love
    and broke down the divisions
    of humanity
    amen

17. amanda says:

another lurker, coming out.

my prayer is that I wouldn’t give in to pride, self-righteousness, and my tendency to be o-so-independent.

and what the heck, a little plug for people who like homemade things:

18. Christine says:

I wish I wrote poetry, but I’m afraid of trying. The most I can manage is blog posts comparing teeth to boobs.

19. stephanie says:

i was blessed with the opportunity to be the leader for the teenage girls at my church and this fall due to a variety of personal reasons, i stepped out of that responsibility. it left a lot of the girls heartbroken, confused and very angry with me. because of the circumstances, i was very frustrated and felt attacked by my church.

and yesterday my youth pastor and i reconciled the situation and next month i step into leadership again. there are no amounts of words to describe how excited and humbled i am to be given the opportunity to show these girls Christ’s love again. to look back at my relationship with Christ this past may and where it is now, i know that the Lord is going to be able to accomplish so many great things because i am so much more connected to him now than i was then.

God’s grace is (beyond) sufficient for me.

20. Dale says:

Great idea (open mic). Starting a blog about faith from a confused religious background (Mennonite, Catholic, Baptist, AOG and Lutheran). Enjoy all of it and frustrated by a lot. http://mennonitemonk.wordpress.com

21. Dadofiandi says:

Thanks for your post Fitz.
    I am running the PF Chang marathon in PHX Jan 18th. I have asked my facebook friends and now ask you all to donate a 1$(it can be more as well) for each mile I run (26.2) to a cause near to your heart. It gives me incentive to run as well as encouragement. If you are curious about my running or my rants you can click on my name and it should take you to my blog.
    I really enjoy this blog, commentators and lament I don’t live in Seattle to visit quest and escape this heat (well not now).

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
    Peace.

22. Laura says:

Here’s a series of poems that I wrote this fall, “Fall in the Garden.” I started this blog writing primarily sonnets, to practice writng poetry with restrictions, and I’ve since moved off of that, so these are not sonnets, but I did limit each one to fourteen lines.

23. alexoh says:

“A human being is a part of a whole, called by us ‘universe’, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest… a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”

Albert Einstein

24. Dadofiandi says:

If you all could send post cards to this boy it would mean a lot to him. Connor Bourke is a very special kid who was recently diagnosed with a very rare form of brain cancer. His prognosis is grim but we are all continuing to pray for a miracle. His particular cancer is called Gliomatosis Cerebri. His address is 821 Mary Ct., Jefferson, WI 53549.
    If you are on facebook here is his group.