This video entitled What if Starbucks Marketed Like a Church? A Parable is making the rounds around blogosphere. It was created to “help churches to truly understand the disconnection between how we do things and the people we’re trying to reach.”
Take a look. Thoughts?
- Well made video. Helps visualize some great points since it’s so easy for a church to grow disconnected in our insular world.
- As I’ve shared on a post entitled Soul of Starbucks, it’s a great company to work for but brutal to compete against.
- And interesting that this video was released about a week before Starbucks released news that their profits decreased 97% during their 4Q. They’ve laid off over 1000 people this year and closed or in the process of closing 600 stores this year.
- And at least here in Seattle [headquarters of Starbucks], it doesn’t help that their CEO, Howard Schultz, currently ain’t the most popular people for selling off our NBA professional basketball team to someone who eventually moved it over to Oklahoma.
- But something about this video freaks me out. I know it’s a parable but do we really want to see Starbucks or a corporate giant as a good juxtaposition?
So, while there are lessons to be learned in this video, maybe there are other lessons to consider. No?
Have you ever tried really hard to make a point and when people say they get it, you are just not sure they do? Sometimes it takes us seeing our world through new eyes–something that it is hard to do as believers. Sometimes a little bit of juxtaposition does the trick.
We made this video because we sometimes struggle in helping churches to truly understand the disconnection between how we do things and the people we’re trying to reach. Our thought was to showcase the visitor experience in a completely different context and in doing so, we might help churches realize how they might actually comes across to the world we are called to reach.
Sometimes it takes seeing something in a different light to really get it. With this thought, my team and I made a little video called “What if Starbucks Marketed Like the Church? A Parable.”
[h/t Beyond Relevance]