shane claiborne at quest

shane claiborne at quest

I am incredibly thankful and indebted to Shane.  I first met Shane six years ago at a conference we spoke at together in Seattle and met at Q Cafe.  We recently re-connected over the past year and so, I asked him if he’d be willing to visit and speak at Quest Church – specifically after the elections seasons since his book Jesus for President engaged the faith and politics conversation.   Umm, this all happened in the last month but it happened.

But I had no idea how much Shane went out of his way to be with us at Quest last night until we hung out last night.  Shane flew from Philly to Vancouver, spoke three times on Sunday at a church up North, and then drove about 2.5 hours [not including an hour stoppage at the US/Canada border] to Seattle.  He made it to my home only a half hour before the event!  Shane:  Brother, thank you very much.  It means a great deal to me, to Quest, and to the Seattle community that you went out of your way to share in fellowship and ministry!

As promised, here are some pictures and mp3s from the event “A Quest Conversation with Shane Claiborne.”  Any feedback and pushback from the conversation?

Evening flow:  Worship led by Matt C. and the 5pm worship crew; Shane’s provocative chat; and then a Q/A with Shane [with an unplanned moment of embarrassment from Shane's past!]

Shane Claiborne, author of Jesus for President and The Irresistable Revolution, teaches on Jesus’ response to John the Baptizer in Matthew 11:2-6 and talks about being the change we want to see.  He talks about some of the ways he has seen Christians today trying to enact the imaginative Jubilee economics and enemy-love of the Kingdom of God.  [35 minutes]

The second half of our conference with Shane Claiborne was Q&A format with Pastor Eugene.  Questions centered around politics (i.e. “what would you say if you had a few minutes with President Obama?”) and living the Christian life with imagination (i.e. “what are some of the ways you’ve seen people from all walks re-imagining Kingdom living?”) [43 minutes]

And here are some pics courtesy of Leo Chen Photography.  You can see all the pics HERE.

shane2

shane claiborne at quest

shane claiborne at quest

shane claiborne at quest

shane6

Filed under: religion, ,

1. Shaun King says:

Very cool stuff man! Looking forward to listening to the MP3s.

2. Shauna says:

Thank you for posting the conversation you guys had. It really is an encouragement. Impacting up here in Canada as well!

3. Amy says:

Pastor Eugene,

Thank you. I had the joy of being at your church last night for the event. This was the first time I’ve visited your church and have been wanting to for awhile since we’ve heard so much about what’s going through your church and ministry. The music, Shane, and the conversation was what I needed. It was refreshing. Thank you.

4. Tyler says:

great stuff eugene. thanks for sharing all this. sorry i wasn’t able to make it up.

5. J Fowler says:

Great stuff! Thank you for sharing.

6. [...] shane claiborne at quest « beauty and depravity here are some pictures and mp3s from the event “A Quest Conversation with Shane Claiborne.” [...]

7. katie says:

While the entire evening was very inspiring and challenging, one thing in particular that Shane did spoke volumes of his constant and unwavering devotion to Christ and neighbor. He spoke about everyone in only terms of love (including those he disagrees with): brother, sister, friend, buddy. What would it look like if we all used that language exclusively when talking of others and also when talking TO others?

A great night that I’m very thankful to have been a part of. I loved “pour one out for Rich [Mullins]” and “they don’t sound like Metallica! I’ve been hoodwinked!”

8. blake says:

eugene

i was able to download the first mp3 in google reader, but cant figure out how to download the second. is there a way to do this?

9. Mary says:

We were inspired and encouraged. Thank you Shane and Eugene!

10. eugenecho says:

@blake: i really don’t know. maybe try the original source on the quest website:

11. blake says:

thanks eugene. got it.

12. Blake says:

It really was a great night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was really interesting to hear him with his own voice and not the voice I heard in my head when reading his books. (The contrast between his native Tennessee accent and the so-cal surfer in my head was particularly amusing! ;-))

13. [...] Claiborne spoke on Sunday at Quest Church in Seattle, and Eugene Cho posted pictures and Mp3s on his [...]

14. katiem says:

Eugene. Thanks for this chance to peek into your weekend with Shane. He is closing session speaker for the Covenant Connection January 31 – February 2 in Chicago. Connection is the pre-Midwinter event for worship leaders, artists, youth leaders, and a whole bunch of folks who are leading works of compassion, mercy, justice (cmj) in the local church. Everybody tell your friends. This is our first attempt at pulling several ministry tracks together for a combined connection.

15. jHong says:

wow… shane is a stilt-walker, too??? small world. :)

i’m really sad i couldn’t be there live via-satellite but it sounds like it was a wonderful time! tennessee REPRESENT!

16. Emily says:

I LOVED it! Was so excited going into it and wasn’t disappointed. In the process of blogging about my thoughts and his words that stood-out to me: http://letsbehonesthere.wordpress.com/2008/11/12/an-evening-with-shane-claiborne-part-1/

17. Thanks for sharing this. It was great to hear Shane speak in a Q&A format rather than the standard 30-40 minute monologue. It was great to hear his heart… and about some of his personal interests.

18. [...] Shane Claiborne was at Eugene Cho’s church in Seattle last Sunday night. I’m sad I couldn’t make it (would have been a long bike ride). He has some pictures and audio. [...]

19. Todd Stoothoff says:

I am very grateful that you were able to bring Shane Claiborne to Quest Church. When I read his books in Yakima I hoped that one day I would be able to see him speak. Now I go to SPU and had the opportunity to walk to Quest and see him talk. The conversation was a great blessing for me and he is certainly an inspiring speaker.

Attempting to be the world's greatest smartphone photographer. #kenya #africa #impala #nakuru Nakuru National Park, Kenya. Not your average neighborhood zoo. #flamingoes Kenya. Asante sana. Bwana asifiwe. So grateful for God's grace and provision. It's emotional and humbling every time we sign a check to award another grant. This is ONLY possible because of all of our generous donors and supporters.

This 19,932.90 grant is for a partnership with CREATE! ... that will train and empower 250 Sengalese women to produce and sell poultry, start their own businesses, etc.

Thank you and let's keep going!!! Share our stories. Share your day's wages. Or start your own birthday campaign.

ONEDAYSWAGES.ORG Seattle. Right now. That is all. Today is the last day of my 3 month sabbatical. That went by so fast... On the first day, our family went to Santa, Cruz, California. The first thing we did after we arrived at the San Jose airport was to go straight to In-N-Out. If these kids grow up and feel like they need counseling because their Dad didn't show them love, I'm gonna show them this picture as well and say, "I'VE GOT PROOF. I TOOK YOU TO THE BEST BURGER JOINT WITH NICE CHRISTIAN VERSES UNDER THE DRINK CUP."

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,026 other followers