seattle really sucks

Seattle is the antithesis of Boston – when in comes to sports.  While they boast in excellence and champions, Seattle sports teams have been absolutely horrible.  I don’t recall being in any city with such pathetic performance and fan morale.  Don’t believe me?

• [Baseball] The Seattle Mariners, who many expected to contend for the West Division title finished the season about 450 games behind the Los Angeles Angels.  Absolutely pathetic.  Absolutely last with a payroll of 90+million dollars.  They picked up some free agents this past year that made Bobby Ayala look good.
  • [Women’s Basketball] The Seattle Storm with their two Olympic players[Bird and Jackson] had a mediocre season and exited in the first round of the playoffs – again.  Sad.
  • [College Football] The Washington Huskies football team is winless this season.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.  Nothing.  And as much as I like Ty Willingham, he won’t be back…and actually might not make it to the end of the season.  Geez, weren’t they in the Rose Bowl not that long ago?
  • [NFL Football] The Seattle Seahawks got absolutely embarrassed yesterday by the New York Giants.  They lost 44-6.  No, that wasn’t a typo.  And after 4 games, they are now 1-3.  Pathetic.  What’s even more pathetic is that they’ll likely end up 8-8 and win the NFC West.  Super pathetic.

But, alas, there’s hope.  At least the NBA is right around the corner and there’s potential with the Supersonics and Durant, Green, Collison, etc.

Oh, wait…crap….we don’t even have an NBA team anymore.  Well, at least, church attendance is going to be up this winter with sports teams so pathetic here in Seattle.

Wow, we really suck.

Filed under: sports,

1. Erik says:

Tyrone Willingham better be gone ASAP. I think they’re hanging him out to dry so they have every reason to fire him. They’re letting him run the program his way, which is obviously not working.

Hey, you forgot about the Huskies men’s basketball team. They should return to the Big Dance this year.

2. Tyler says:

couldn’t agree more.

3. irene says:

hahahahahahaaaa — i was totally dumbfounded by the giants game yesterday. even though i was cheering for the giants. i mean, the hawks just went to the superbowl a few years ago! (sorry, i was cheering for the steelers then, too, despite the “stolen” win. maybe i suck.)

4. Dustin Cross says:

Does this mean that my wife and I can afford to go to a $eahawks game this year? Nah, good tickets still cost at least $150 each

5. danw says:

And yet. . .the M’s still had some of the highest attendance in all of major league baseball, the Seahawks still sell out every game. We must be suckers for punishment. Yesterday made me glad I had better things to do (say, preach and share the Lord’s Supper) than watch football games.

6. eugenecho says:

@erik: huskies basketball? they haven’t even gotten into the NIT recently.

@dustin: i don’t even think about football games. crazy prices. but baseball tix were cheap on craigslist when we went.

7. chenster22 says:

well, the huskies bball team has some good guards coming in, which i believe was our major achille’s heel the past few years.

meh, it’s been quite depressing.,

8. gar says:

The only thing more depressing than the weather in Seattle… the sports teams.

Ummm… go Seattle Mist?

9. Erik says:

Eugene, two words, Isaiah Thomas. This kid is for real. Husky BBall is headed in the right direction, Husky football, um…. yeah

10. eugenecho says:

@erik: i want a good basketball team. 7 solid players. not one prep who’s going to book after 1 season.

11. Oliver Jen says:

hi Eugene,

no question it is pretty dreary place to be for a sports fan these days. It’s a few months old, but did you happen to catch this story? These athletes are homegrown and remind me why I was a sports fan to begin with. =)

12. Jake says:

Woh there. What do you mean by “pathetic fan morale.” Do you simply mean we are bummed, cuz you’d be right, but if you mean to besmirch the loyalty of Seattle sports fans I believe you’d be wrong. The Seattle fan has been through the worst year ever, but still is perseveres. The Hawks continue to be sold out, people still show up to husky games, and the Mariners still had a respectable attendance for one of the worst years in team history. Nothing pathetic about the Seattle sports fan.

13. Oliver Jen says:

Maybe you’re looking in the wrong places? It’s not really criticism; I would call myself a pretty informed sports fan, but I’ve recently found the best stories in sports are rarely found in the pros.

Like this one a few months ago about CWU softball team. Hometown athletes, too.

Or some of Rick Reilly’s stuff:

I think his stories, mostly the ones about high school kids and other ordinary folks in sports, really illuminate the reason why people love sports to begin with…

14. eugenecho says:

OJ: high school sports are great. and i live 1/2 mile to ballard high so might need to enjoy that a little more.

15. “Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.”— Proverbs 3:27

Video of Delta rivers and an amazing sunset in Myanmar on a #fastboat. We were on these boats for about 20 hours over 3 days. Exhausting but meeting villagers and experiencing these sunsets made up for the long and bumpy boat rides. 10 days ago. Unforgettable slow boat journey in the Delta rivers of Myanmar. Lots of reflecting and praying. Came to the conclusion - again - that in the efforts to change the world, I especially need to be changed by God's love, character, and justice. #Myanmar #slowboatreflections #onedayswages The 2nd baby turns 14 today. Oh my. How time flies. Every birthday now is bittersweet. So amazed at the young woman she is becoming ... and that much further away from being that little baby. Happy Birthday, @trintaay! The world is fallen, broken, and messy. This is the truth.

But the story is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the Truth. There is Hope. God is our Hope.

#Advent #MyanmarSunset #NoFilter #BackHomeSafe In solidarity. From Thailand. #ICantBreathe I'm in Thailand for two days to meet @theexodusroad - one of @onedayswages' partners doing compelling work in the fight against child sex trafficking in Thailand and other countries.

Several of their team members took me and Phillip (one of my staff ) into several brothels as part of their investigation. Needless to say, it was very disturbing but an important experience. Women were scantily dressed and places on stages ... as commodities. As part of the investigation, we spoke with some of these young women to collect information, liberate underaged girls, and shut down brothels that exploit underaged girls. To be honest, it's complicated... The evening was intense and my heart was beating so rapidly...but as the hours passed and my initial shock and fears subsided, I felt the Holy Spirit remind me that God loves each and every person and desires to draw them until Himself.  And so I prayed for these women, men, girls, pimps, johns, mamma sans... Lord, break these strongholds.
Lord, give us courage.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,074 other followers