falling in love with nebraska

As I shared earlier, I spent about 8 days in the middle of nowhere recently to cap my sabbatical.  Where did I go?  Because of some connections with friends, I retreated in a small town you’ve never heard of in Central Nebraska.  Yes, you read that correctly…Nebraska.  And after my visit, I think I fell in love with Nebraska [check out the pics below].

The population of the town was 302 people according to some townspeople.  According to their census, Asians comprise .24% of town’s 302 people.  The closest market is 25 miles away.  And because my cellphone wasn’t working in that part of the country, I found myself completely disconnected: no TV, radio, internet, and personal phone access.  The first few days were incredibly difficult but after the 3rd day, it felt so refreshing to be disconnected – even while financial institutions were crumbling last week.  Perhaps, it was good that I had no idea what was going on in the “real” world.

What did I do?

• I read.
  • I prayed.
  • I worked on the poverty organization.
  • I fished and fished; I have never caught so many fish in my life.  Must have caught and released over 150 bass [mostly largemouth].  On couple occasions, I hooked two fishes on 1 lure.
  • I learned about farming, cornhuskers, millets, etc.
  • I helped cut some trees that were attacked my beavers.  I have a new found respect for loggers.
  • I hiked.
  • I captured some snakes.
  • And I fished some more.

Where’s the most obscure place you visited or vacationed?

Filed under: family, travel

1. goldfearsnofire says:

hey eugene, i just want to let you know that i think you are cool. and that you challenge me to consider how to live rightly, healthily, and honorably. thanks for your example. wish you all of the best as you transition out of sabbatical. best, drew

2. Tyler says:

that is awesome eugene. i have family in nebraska. it makes for one boring drive though, i will admit that.

most obscure place i’ve been is wildhorse canyon, oregon. it is a young life camp. 30 minutes away from anything.

3. matt says:

catch and release? no cooking up some fish for dinner?
    Although not obscure, I’ve taken a couple of Korean bus tours that decide that a random train museum is a great place to stop at on a tour of eastern Canada.

4. Sue says:

I was going to say the same thing. Long boring hours of senseless driving and it doesn’t help to have gas prices so high. Great pics.

5. eugenecho says:

@matt: ok ok. we did eat a couple of those fish. delicious. also caught crappie, smallmouth, northern pike, and catfish. but just ate couple big and smallmouth. pretty good.

6. Nina Seong says:

wow, i never knew nebraska was so beautiful & picturesque.

the water looks crystal clear.

and capturing snakes & catching fish.

very symbolic & analogous to ministry.

7. Sara says:

I never knew Nebraska could be so appealing. Thanks for the photos and the beautiful descriptions.

Most obscure place visited… hard to remember… We’ve visited lots of out of the way places here in the Northwest (or at least, as out of the way as you can get with two small children). One of our favorite things, which we haven’t done for a long time, was to pick a place in the Waterfall Lover’s Guide Pacific Northwest, pack our boys on our backs and go find some gorgeous waterfall in the middle of the woods or in some odd roadside spot just outside of Shelton or some other podunk place. :) We’ve found some really beautiful places and spent some really fun moments together as a family by doing that.

Maybe most obscure locations I can think of out of the country usually involve getting lost. There was the time that we got lost driving through Normandy in France trying to find a little town called Ville Dieu Les Poelles, where they sell fabulous copper pots. We saw some lovely farming villages and lots of lovely tumbledown, roadside, stone cottages on the way because we chose to take some back roads to get there. Once, as a whole family, we got lost in the jungle in Panama in a tiny Toyota rental car. That is too long a story for this comment space, but it involved, a scary spider, a large snake, unintelligible attempts at speaking Spanish, and a little bit of crying. It’s a funny story (at least NOW it’s funny).

8. chad m says:

being a Cornhusker myself i am pleased to see my people treated you well. it’s not washington, but i love my home state!

you should consider working in travel and tourism for Nebraska on the side…go big red!

9. eugenecho says:

@chad: i wrote this post in honor of you cuz i knew you were a cornhusker.

10. Jennifer says:

I think the most remote place I have been is Haines Alaska. One local told us that the only industy there was the breeding and raising of children.

11. gregwheeler says:

Hmm, 0.24% of 302 is less than one person. :)

12. Kim says:

Remote = Unalakleet, Alaska – According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.1 square miles, of which, 2.9 square miles of it is land and 2.3 square miles of it (44.25%) is water. Local overland travel is mainly by ATV’s, snowmachines and dogsleds in winter. It is an amazing place!

13. queltica says:

I grew up in Ecuador, so nothing there for me feels remote or obscure – but to me the most remote place I’ve visited was the Isle of Harris in the northern Hebrides. It was in October, and everything was gray rocks and gray skies and moors and cold beaches. It was beautiful. The standing stones at Callanais on neighboring Lewis was one of the most awesome wild old places I’ve ever been …however, the place that felt the most “obscure” was probably some hot sticky stanky pond/lake in southern Illinois one summer when I was a teenager at a church camp. Mosquitos and flatness and humidity and not much else.

Summers evenings are the best in #Seattle and enjoying some sacred time with the family. So proud of the young woman our daughter, @_jubileee, is becoming as she enters her senior year in high school. Our prayer is that she continues to grow in her identity and faith in Christ; that she may hold God's Word close to her heart; that she may grow to be light and salt in an ever challenging culture; that she knows she is deeply loved and pursued by Christ

@_jubileee, is also an incredibly talented photographer. Check out her feed. Some sacred time with my oldest daughter last night. That little dot on the left is her. We were the only ones by the lighthouse last night to enjoy this breathtaking sunset. Trying to enjoy these moments before she heads off to college in about one year. #discoverypark #seattle #fatherdaughtertime Seattle. Right now. So beautiful...but don't move here. No more traffic. Breathe in. Breathe out. Tranquility. Seattle showing off. Right now. Nothing like Seattle summers and late sunsets. #nofilter #seattle #kerrypark Invest in your soul.
Read the Scriptures.
Pray & listen.
Embrace silence.
Go for a walk.
Laugh with friends.
Enjoy a good book.
Soak in God's creation.

#NatureIsMyLoveLanguage

• "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." ~ Galatians 6:9 || 1 hour ago
  • Fear visits all of us. It's part of what it means to be human. But for some, fear is only a visitor. For others, fear becomes a companion. || 6 hours ago
  • Summers evenings are the best in #Seattle. So proud of the young woman our daughter, _jubileee, is… instagram.com/p/5tMTlbSWQO/ || 17 hours ago
  • Dear Christian: Your neighbors don't want you to see them as a "target group." Who does? They want you to be a good neighbor. Start there. || 1 day ago
  • Some sacred time with my oldest daughter last night. That little dot on the left is her. We were the… instagram.com/p/5r5Al7yWTd/ || 1 day ago
  • Enjoy this epic view of Seattle...before the impending earthquake that will destroy everything. Thanks @NewYorker! http://t.co/0DTtGYyOrr || 1 day ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,278 other followers