bill gates’ last day, jerry seinfeld, and shoes

Two must see videos here.  The first is a hilarious video of Bill Gates shown at the CES earlier this year as part of his final keynote speech. If you haven’t heard, Billy is no longer a full-time employee at Microsoft.  The second is the first video of Microsoft’s new 300 million dollar advertising campaign featuring Bill and Jerry Seinfeld.

It’s easy to make fun of him because of the haircut, the nerdiness, the sweater, the Microsoft empire, etc. but the more I reflect on his legacy and particularly, his philantrophy and foundation, I’m simply amazed. I know many younger folks are drawn to Apple’s Steve Jobs but there’s something very appealing about Bill that grows on me.

Check out the video. He’s got some notable friends…with funny cameos by Spielberg, Bono, Jay-Z, Barack Obama, George Clooney, and many more.

So, what do you think of this new ad featuring Bill and Jerry?  Does it make sense?  Does it work?

Filed under: entertainment, technology, , ,

1. James says:

Seems like your classic Seinfeld episode. Everything about nothing.

2. Michelle says:

Don’t get it. Doesn’t make sense…Bill better not give up his day job but Jerry, as always, is brilliant even yadaing around about nothing…..

3. Capt Ralph says:

Would/could someone PLEASE explain that ad to me? I don’t usually ask for/need help but I have seen it several times and don’t know where to buy those shoes.

(Look, if you don’t know me………………..I have a sense of humor, too. I know the ad is NOT about shoes, but I still don’t get it.)

4. jas dye says:

Capt Ralph:

it’s an introductory ad, kind of a beginning of a wonderful friendship (like those wonderful superman and seinfeld ads).

i thought the WSJ (or really the critics) are too harsh on it. the key is all in the last exchange, where jerry asks bill if computers will ever be soft and chewy like cake.

in-no-va-tion.

5. When I first saw the commercial I honest wondered what company it was for (Amex, a shoe company, something else). Using Seinfeld and that platinum joke mixes the message too much.

6. eugenecho says:

They’re not Mac commercials but I think they’re working. It doesn’t make sense because it’s the first of a series but how are they working?

People are talking about it…
    That’s how I found out.

7. justin says:

hmmm…
    maybe i’m not in the target demographic or maybe it’s just not my type of humor, but i didn’t find it funny or engaging at all. what is the message they’re trying to communicate? bill gates is cheap? jerry seinfeld knows his shoes? i don’t think it succeeds in making the brand seem innovative or aspirational or reliable…

plus the endtag took a designer all of 30 seconds to make.

8. chenster22 says:

it’s… overly long, and you just wait and wait for something funny to happen… yeah, i don’t get it.

9. Leah says:

I guess I’m in the minority here (and I had the benefit of knowing beforehand that it’s first of a series…) but I think it’s pretty funny. I love non-sequitors humor, though. Funniest part? All the people looking in the window and saying talking about the brand of the shoe instead of the fact that it’s BG and JS in there trying them on.

And the whole idea of Bill Gates doing a little shorts-adjusting-rump-wiggle? I find that hilarious. I think because it IS so out of place.

10. gar says:

Funny stuff, but sadly… Apple ads > Microsoft ads.

They better step their game up!

11. batguano101 says:

Confession-

I thought everyone in the Seinfeld tv program was funny to various degrees except- Seinfeld.

Are there others like me.

Could this affect the 300 million ad campaign?

12. Dave says:

I loved the Shoe Circus ad. Of course, I have an entire blog dedicated to shoe-related trivia and humor.

I love my church. So proud of the ways they seek to embody compassion and justice. Some of them were in downtown Seattle this week to demonstrate their solidarity with Ferguson.

I'm in the middle of a 3 month sabbatical at Quest. I'm grateful for this time of rest and rejuvenation...but I miss my church dearly. Can't wait to be back in October. There are some amazingly beautiful churches around the world. Just remember though that true worship begins when you exit the church walls and live out your faith and convictions.

#LightandSalt
#PrincetonUniversity Home, sweet home.
#seattle 17.5 Year Anniversary!
We still got it. We look gooooood!

Blessed to be back in Princeton, NJ for couple days recently. We had our wedding ceremony in Korea but got "legally" married in the US at Miller Chapel in Princeton Seminary. So, it was only fitting to go back and have my kids take our 17.5 Anniversary  pics. Someday when our kids become adults and they feel like their parents wronged them or neglected them, and they feel like they need to get counseling... I'm going to show them this picture and say, "I HAVE PROOF. WE TOOK YOU TO NYC AND BOUGHT TICKETS TO WICKED ON BROADWAY!" RIP Robin Williams.
Folks: Please go and - call or hug your loved ones. Tell them you love them. Remind them how you much appreciate them.

We need to (re)learn how to be more human. Don't avoid eye contact. Don't hide behind gadgets. Smile often - both to neighbors and strangers alike. Ask about peoples' stories. And listen.

And most importantly, remind yourself that YOU are loved. Not just merely by your loved ones but also by the ONE who created all that is good and beautiful.

• Getting on a plane. Going to recline my seat. Pray for me. || 12 hours ago
  • Breathe. Show yourself some grace. We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a cheerful heart. || 1 day ago
  • You don't need to be the "most influential" to everyone, you just need to influence the people you've been called to. || 1 day ago
  • Rather than always looking for the spectacular, we have to learn to find purpose, beauty, and meaning in the mundane and every day. || 1 day ago
  • Let's be wise. Let's be humble. Let's be careful of the hero complex where it's about us...rather than about God. - youtube.com/watch?v=s7j68b… || 2 days ago
  • The proof of God's love is that He knows everything about us - incl. our mess, brokenness, and shame - and still pursues us. This is grace. || 2 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 979 other followers