sarah palin as president?

Update: “I Like Sarah Palin…But Not in that Way.”

When news spread  about the selection of Sarah Palin this morning as John McCain’s running mate, I had to do a double take…I was shocked.  I have to be honest and admit that I didn’t know too much about the governor of Alaska.

What do you think about this “bold” selection of Sarah Palin to the Republican ticket?

After doing some more research on her via the web and various new sources, my first thought:  If McCain becomes president, I hope he’s very healthy.  I’m not trying to be disrespectful but seems a little shocking that we’re a heartbeat away from Palin being President.  Definitely a bold move…she seems like an extraordinary person but here comes the “experience” questions.

I was reminded of this comment in an earlier post:

One of the first things that I said to my husband when it became clear who the two candidates would be is that for the first time I will really be concentrating on who their VP choices are. I do thing that Senator Obama may very well risk his life if he comes president and looking at John McCain’s age and past health issues, he also has a higher potential of becoming incapacitated. I have not yet made up my mind who I am voting for, but I find that I am challenged more as a voter to not only research both candiates, but also their VP choices as they truly could be our next president. I confess that I am also really learning to pray for our nations leaders and their safety (which I should have been doing already).

Via the Wikipedia entry:

Sarah Louise (Heath) Palin (IPA: /ˈpeɪlɨn/; born February 11, 1964) is the Governor of Alaska and the presumptive Republican vice presidential nominee for the 2008 United States presidential election.

Palin was elected governor in late 2006 after defeating incumbent governor Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary and former Democratic governor Tony Knowles in the general election. She was the youngest person, and the first woman, to be elected governor of Alaska. Before becoming governor, Palin served two terms on the Wasilla, Alaska, City Council from 1992 to 1996, and was elected and re-elected mayor of Wasilla for two three-year terms in 1996 and 1999. She also ran unsuccessfully for lieutenant governor of Alaska in 2002. Palin holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from the University of Idaho.

On August 29, 2008, Republican presidential candidate John McCain announced he had chosen Palin as his running mate, making her the second female vice presidential candidate representing a major political party after Geraldine Ferraro, and the first female vice presidential candidate of the Republican Party. She will also be the first politician from Alaska to run on a major national ticket for president or vice president.

Other Political Entries of Interest:

• How Not to Pray for the Elections
  • Random Thoughts about Tina Fey & Candidates
  • Only Bible Idiots will vote for Obama
  • Faith & Politics
  • Filed under: politics, , , ,

1. DK says:

Definitely risky but it shakes up the mentality that McCain is essentially a 3rd term of Bush. I love this commentary from CNN:

John McCain’s brilliant but risky “Hail Mary pass” choice for vice president, Alaska Gov. Sarah “Barracuda” Palin, has the political world saying first: Who? And then: Why?

The “who” is a young, articulate, smart, tough, pro-life woman who is the governor of our northernmost state. She is conservative and a mother of five, including a son in the Army who is set to be deployed to Iraq on September 11. Her youngest child has Down syndrome.

The “Barracuda” nickname came from her aggressive basketball play on the state championship basketball team. She is a hunter, pilot and lifetime member of the NRA.

She is blunt, outspoken and charming. And don’t assume she can’t stand toe-to-toe with Joe Biden. She is a great debater. And she was runner-up for the Miss Alaska title, won Miss Congeniality in that contest and plays the flute.

She also has a compelling story and is a most interesting choice. She will be known by all in 24 to 48 hours in this instant media world, and I am betting she will be well-liked.

The “why” is she is a governor and outside the Beltway. Conservatives love her, and she shares John McCain’s value system. She is also known for taking on the establishment and ethics is her forte.

2. Tyler says:

Apparently you only need to go to college for 4 years to get on a Presidential ticket…wow!

3. You have to give McCain credit. His pick is bold and he’s swinging for the fences. We’ll have to see whether he hit a pop up or a home run. This is in comparison to Obama who picked a safe VP pick that he may live to regret. This pick was all about Hillary Clinton. If Obama chooses Hillary Clinton as VP, Palin is not McCain’s VP. However, when Obama decided to pick an old white guy from the Senate, McCain saw an opening to choose a younger woman. He is definitely trying to reach out to the disgruntled Hillary Clinton voters who are definitely up for grabs.

I think the Obama supporters and left wing mainstream media has it wrong. They kept saying women won’t vote for McCain just because of Palin. But I don’t think Palin is there to attract liberal upperclass pro-choice feminists, though I think a few will vote for McCain more on there anger toward Obama, the media, and the DNC. However, I think Palin was chosen more to attract blue collar working class women in the Rust Belt. These are your waitresses, secretaries, grocery store workers who are economically liberal or populist and socially more conservative. Palin has a great story that I think will intrigue these women. In the end, will this put McCain over the top? Who knows. It’s a pretty bold pick that could either make him look like a genius or a fool.

However, I think we overrate Vice Presidents sometimes. In 1988, Michael Dukakis picked Lloyd Bentsen, an experienced US Senator from Texas. George Bush selected a young, bumbling US Senator from Indiana. In the VP debate, Lloyd Bentsen crushed Dan Quayle, with the famous line, “I knew Jack Kennedy and Senator you’re no Jack Kennedy.” However, it didn’t help Dukakis at all, as George Bush won in a landslide despite Dan Quayle.

When Obama chose Biden, he tarnished his hold on the mantle of change and outsider. When McCain chose Palin, he weakened his claim on the question of experience.

On another note, I’ve been disappointed by the media, especially the liberal and progressive media that has been borderline sexist against Palin. As a Hillary Clinton supporter, I’m still angry about the sexism that was thrown at her. I think as a matter of consistency, we need to call out sexism, whether it come from the left or the right. Unfortunately for Hillary Clinton, she got it from both sides. I was listening to Air America today, and the hosts were making fun of her voice and her appearance. Randi Rhodes said that she was only picked because she was a “breeder”, someone who just keeps making babies. On an liberal blog, someone wrote that if she was pro-choice, she would have aborted her child with Down Syndrome. Keith Olbermann on his show mocked Palin’s voice. Other shows focused on the fact that she was in a beauty pageant and thus must be unqualified. Commentators on MSBNC talked about how she shouldn’t run because she doesn’t have enough time to take care of all her many kids and thus would be a bad mom. These are things that would only be criticized about a female candidate and not a male candidate. Both the right wing nuts on Fox News and left wing nuts on MSNBC spent time analyzing the color of Hillary Clinton’s pant suit for her speech at the DNC. I’m like are you for reals? I’m definitely not a big fan of Palin’s policies and ideology. I am a progressive voting for Barack Obama. I know about the garbage the right wing has been pulling for more than a generation. However, I think Palin deserves the same respect that a male candidate in her place would get. Whether sexism comes from the left or the right similar to the crap they pulled on Hillary Clinton, it should be called out.

I think Obama set the right tone as he congratulated Palin just as Hillary Clinton did. Obama is well aware that there are still angry and disgruntled Hillary Clinton supporters who will take offense if Palin as a woman is mistreated by his campaign supporters and surrogates.

Palin’s pick ensures that history will be made no matter which ticket is elected. It should be a fun last couple of weeks.

4. Dan Hauge says:

It was kind of fascinating today, since I listen to lots of political talk radio, to hear the strong conservatives practically doing handsprings over this choice; mostly, I think, because of her right-of-McCain views on global warming (it’s not man-made), teaching creationism in public schools, pro-NRA stance, pro-life views, and other such issues. It was also fascinating hearing them say things like “Sarah Palin’s executive experience dealing with fiscal issues is enormous compared with Barack Obama’s complete lack of experience.” I mean, seriously–these right wing talkers were honestly saying that Palin’s experience dwarfs Obama’s. Just goes to show that perception is everything.

I . . . don’t know about this. Obviously it’s an unexpected choice, it would mean a woman Vice-President, it has everybody buzzing, and has really pleased the conservative base. In terms of focusing some renewed interest in McCain’s campaign, it seems to have succeeded. Whether she will actually be a strong candidate as the race gets going definitely remains to be seen. From what I understand, while she knows a thing or two about energy issues (i.e. oil) and going after corruption in government, she doesn’t know diddly about foreign policy. That’s bound to catch up with her at some point. (Full disclosure–I’m saying all this as a strong Obama supporter)

5. Randall says:

I don’t think I could support a VP who thinks it’s okay to teach Intelligent Design in classrooms.

6. Eddie says:

Amazing but I thin this election is going to hinge on Sarah Palin. Over the next 65 days, if she can clearly communicate her story and experience, I think she’ll draw a great amount of female voters.

I consider this a very solid and intriguing selection. Two words come to mind: Huge Upside.

7. kk says:

Well I have to say IF IF IF McCain is our Next President and he Drops dead or ?? during office – yah right Betty Crocker NRA whatever – I just am not good with his Choice of VP.

No no no no no no no

8. yarrrrrr says:

“”””””””
      “”””””””

That isn’t quite the truth.

In an interview Thursday, Palin said she meant only to say that discussion of alternative views should be allowed to arise in Alaska classrooms:

“I don’t think there should be a prohibition against debate if it comes up in class. It doesn’t have to be part of the curriculum.”

She added that, if elected, she would not push the state Board of Education to add such creation-based alternatives to the state’s required curriculum.

Members of the state school board, which sets minimum requirements, are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Legislature.

“I won’t have religion as a litmus test, or anybody’s personal opinion on evolution or creationism,” Palin said.

9. yarrrrrr says:

Oh, and I think she’s wonderful but I too am worried about experience.

10. Kevin Davis says:

I think I understand why he did it, not sure it will pay off politically. What I love is that is makes this a truly historical election, either the first African-American President will be elected, or the first female Vice President will be elected.

The problem I foresee, is that McCain’s platform is founded on ‘experience’ of which she only distracts. She is even less experienced than Obama and say McCain dies in office, ‘cuase he is mad old – she could be commander and chief – kinda scary and thus why I’m not sure if it will help him.

11. Randall says:

@yarrrrrr

Thanks for the clarification.

12. randplaty says:

Its not about Palin, its about what Palin says about McCain. During the DNC the biggest attack that Obama / Biden / both Clintons had against McCain is that he is the same as GWBush. By selecting Palin, McCain is trying to show the country that he is still the maverick senator that is willing to take big risks. McCain is saying that he is the agent of change, not Barack Obama. He is coopting Barack’s biggest selling point.

Now the Obama camp will have to shift their strategy. They cannot pound the “more of the last 8 years” argument anymore. McCain basically wiped all the pieces off the board and started the game all over again with a new set of rules.

13. Rebecca says:

koreanpower999: I completely agree with your point on the sexism of the media coverage. I was appalled at some of the top articles I found when searching. Apparently all that is important about Palin is her diet and fashion choices.

As for her experience, McCain is doing the mirror of what Obama did: Obama picked someone with a lot of experience, particularly in foreign policy, to answer the charge that he is inexperienced. McCain picked someone who is young and principled and a newcomer in order to challenge the idea that he was a GOP insider that wouldn’t bring change. I love the fact that Palin is willing to challenge her own party in the areas of ethics and fiscal responsibility.

14. Megan says:

I think it’s incredibly unwise. He has basically just said handed Obama the presidency. McCain’s entire campaign this summer has focused on how Obama doesn’t have enough experience to be qualified for the presidency. McCain has also been quoted as saying that the most important consideration in his choice for VP is the person’s ability to step in as commander-in-chief should anything happen to him. And now he chooses a 44-year-old woman from Alaska who has even less life experience and political experience than Obama. He has, in effect, said that experience is not an important consideration when choosing who should run our country.

Let’s also remember that this election is about McCain and Obama, not Obama and Palin or Biden and Palin. McCain picked Palin to take the eye off him and put it on her because any time we closely examine McCain, we find out that he is less-than-compelling and that he offers nothing different from what the Bush administration has given us.

Palin will not be setting policy. We all know how forceful and hot tempered McCain can be. I don’t care how vivacious she is, she won’t get very far standing up to him and to the Republican machine. Going up against corruption in state politics in an entirely rural state with only 700,000 people is nothing compared with standing up to the corruption of Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, George W. Bush, and John McCain.

So let’s remember that this election is about McCain and Obama, not Palin and Biden. The most important way that the VP affects the election is by showing us the judgment of the presidential candidate. Obama showed impeccable judgment in choosing Biden, who shores up Obama’s weaknesses and would be a trusted advisor would help Obama to better run the country. McCain showed that he puts his personal interests (getting elected) over the best interests of the country by choosing a woman who in no way shores up his weaknesses and by leaving the country in incapable hands should anything happen to him (which is likely, given his hot temper and his age).

15. JB says:

I thought John McCain was all about “putting country first.” The country is in dangerous tricky waters with terrorism a constant threat, the economy in shambles, national debt and trade deficit, global warming, and he nominates this lightweight? Like there were no qualified conservative women to tap?

He knew the right wingers would dig a pretty woman who owns a gun and eats moose stew. She thinks she knows about foreign policy because “Alaska is near Russia”. She left her small town of which she was mayor in a budgetary disaster. She admits she doesn’t know what the vice preseident even does. But she fit the casting call so who cares about qualifications?

This is the female Dan Quayle and shows McCain’s complete lack of concern for his country.

I guess he figures if he kicks off during his term, who cares who the leader of the free world is.

16. Don’t forget that Biden also said that Obama wasn’t qualified for the presidency, so there’s hypocrisy all around. It’s politics so that’s to be expected.

I don’t think judgment can be passed on Palin until she gets a real chance to speak for herself extensively.

As long as people are talking you’re doing something right.

Makes the race more interesting at least.

17. Metamorphallic —

I couldn’t agree with you more. The whole experience argument is ridiculous when you have a Democratic Presidential candidate who is light on experience from day one. As Fred Thompson said this morning: “Eloquence does not make up for Obama’s lack of experience.” The fact is, Sarah Palin has accomplished more in a relatively short time than many of our current Senators.

I think we’ll all know a lot more about her true preparedness as she continues on the campaign trail. Definitely an interesting race.

18. Susan says:

It’s really how you spin in. If you’re a Democrat, you’re only going to see the negatives. If you’re a Republican, you’re only going to see the positives. There’s clearly both but with this nomination, it turns the election upside down and if that was McCain’s objective, he hit a home run.

Time will tell is she’s more than a pretty face and honestly, I’m looking forward to seeing what she’s made of. But I do agree with one of the posters above that she will have a very pivotal role on the outcome of the election.

19. Rob in Gallup says:

Bottom line for me is this:

Our Senate right now sucks. I don’t think that being a current senator is in any way preferential, and I don’t believe that being a senator somehow equates to having more “presidential experience.” People are critical of Palin because she’s been a mayor and a governor but not a senator? Doesn’t fly with me. I don’t want any of our senators for president. Not McCain, not Clinton, not Obama, and not Biden.

Palin has already demonstrated that she can take office, clean house, and expose and dispatch corrupt officials, even when they’re in her own party. She seems to practice what she preaches, which I find admirable even if I disagree with her on various items of policy. She’s resourceful enough to find capable advisers and then determine for herself the best political course of action. She doesn’t strike me as an egotistical know-it-all, which I feel like I get from McCain, Obama and Biden alike, but she’s certainly no indecisive wallflower, either. All that I’ve seen of her so far, despite the negativity of the pundits, is really impressive to me.

If we’re really looking for change, why have we given ourselves, as our only two choices, either an old, Washington-tainted senator or a young, Washington-tainted senator?

I think something like Sarah Palin is the best thing that could happen to Washington. Maybe we’ve been given a loophole here in this lose-lose choice of McCain or Obama. If Obama wins, he’s not going anywhere, and if he does, we’re stuck with Biden. McCain is at least old, and might die while in office, giving Palin an opening.

I’ll give Palin my vote and gamble that McCain will die before messing things up too much, and in enough time to give Palin a shot at shaking up our government the way it needs to be shaken.

20. Megan says:

to Rob in Gallup,

Please remember that Sarah Palin is not running for president. She’s running for vice president. When we vote in November, the vice presidents will be on the ticket, but our votes will be fore president, and, like it or not, the choices are McCain and Obama.

21. eugenecho says:

@megan,

good point. the title of my post is obviously a hypothetical situation but still needs to be considered.

22. elderj says:

all this bruhaha about her experience seems a bit hypocritical considering that Obama’s chief national experience consists of running for office. The woman IS a governor of a state, which is important experience. If we want to go down the path of complaint that the state isn’t large, then why is Biden on the ticket? His state is really small and he’s not even the governor. I venture to say that the intensity of the critique being arrayed against her is significantly higher than what would likely be directed towards a man in her position. If we were honest with ourselves as a nation, there is little to no chance a white woman with Obama’s resume would be in his position today and absolutely zero chance that a Black woman with his credentials would be. As for the whole “heartbeat away from the presidency thing” I mean seriously, how often has that happened? If we go down that road, we may as well talk about how many of us want Joe Biden to be president if Obama is assassinated.

23. Channing Park says:

elderj, I appreciate your perspective re: Palin but may I add a few caveats? First, McCain is 72 years old and spent a few years in a prison camp which had to add to his chronological age (just look at before and after pictures of presidents in the past). Personally, I think it’s a reach but I do think it is a valid question. Second, there were quite a few experienced women in the GOP who have greater experience than Palin. I think it is a legitimate question to ask why Palin and not say like Hutchinson. I do believe the rumors that McCain wanted to select Lieberman but was waved off by the more conservative wing of the GOP. Palin’s nomination will only be a success if she is able to generate enthusasim from those conservative who were going to stay home because they did not believe McCain was conservative enough (like my parents).

24. Jayhawk says:

I like this gutsy move by McCain and I feel like those criticizing Palin are hypocritical for many obvious reasons, some of which already mentioned above. The Democrats, those who often enjoy seeing themselves as tolerant, are in the end, almost always the most narrow minded and critical.

I think we should give Sarah Palin a chance. I appreciate what she believes, and who she seems to be, more than what she has done in the past. In fact, I can’t help seeing the resemblance, however slight, to selection of an Old Testament leader. When all the “big boys” had been paraded in front of the one choosing, he asked if there were others. There was of course, one young person without the right credentials but with the right spirit and a courageous demeanor. This person had true grit and the heart of a leader and went on to lead Israel like none other. Of course, that person was David.

It has been said that, “it isn’t how big the dog is in the fight but how big the fight is in the dog.” From what I can tell, and we will see, Sarah Palin is fighter, and reformer and a trooper. Can you imagine how much courage it took for her to even accept the offer from McCain to run as the VP candidate? Those of you who believe that anyone, regardless of race or gender, should be given the unfettered chance to lead, should applaud this selection.

All I can say is, “Go girl!”

25. Bret says:

Terrific choice. For those who are so worried about her expereince, I’d remind you as governor she not only is Exucutive of a state but also commander in chief of the national guard. Obama: 143 days in the senate.

26. eugenecho says:

News out about Sarah’s oldest daughter being 5 month pregnant. It’s out and I hope that people leave it ALONE. This should not be used for any political advantage.

“GOP vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin has announced that her 17-year-old daughter Bristol is five months pregnant and will marry the baby’s father.

The statement comes in response to blog rumors alleging that Gov. Palin faked her own most recent pregnancy to cover for Bristol.

Here’s the statement from Palin and her husband:

We have been blessed with five wonderful children who we love with all our heart and mean everything to us. Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. We’re proud of Bristol’s decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support.

Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family. We ask the media to respect our daughter and Levi’s privacy as has always been the tradition of children of candidates.

According to Reuters, John McCain knew about Bristol’s pregnancy before he selected Palin as his running-mate. He decided “it did not disqualify the 44-year-old governor in any way.”

27. Kari Byrd says:

As far as appealing to the Hillary supporters, I don’t see how that’s going to happen. The ONLY reason McCain is taking a gamble on a first term governor with a journalism degree from the University of Idaho who has only left the country once (or maybe twice?) is because she’s a young, attractive woman. That’s insulting and sets women back. Hillary is smart and qualified and happened to be a woman – not the same with Ms. Palin.

I think it was a mistake by the McCain campaign. He’s taken his one issue with Obama completely off of the table.

If McCain is elected, I will pray and fast that God keeps him alive. While a former Miss Congeniality is probably very good at small talk, it’s incredibly hard to picture her as a world leader in a global society if she’s barely left Alaska.

28. elderj says:

Karl, your comments drip with sexism both in dismissing a sitting governor simply as “a former Miss Congeniality” and by suggesting that McCain selecting her because she’s young and attractive as if she had done nothing else with her life. You say that Sen. Clinton is smart and qualified and happened to be a woman; likewise dismissive of Sen. Clinton, because it implies her womanhood is something only incidental to her person and also implies that Gov. Palin is not smart or qualified. It is interesting to me how much is made of “qualifications” or “experience” when frankly I don’t hear many people come up with a list of what would make someone qualified, or what would be adequate experience. It just keeps being repeated: she isn’t qualified; she’s a former beauty queen, he only picked her because she is a woman. All of these things are what, to me, insults women if for no other reason than that I can scarcely imagine anything like this being said about a man. We most assuredly wouldn’t hear people raise questions about how she’s going to take care of her kids; a question NO ONE has asked of Obama’s two young girls.

29. Elderj – I agree with everything you’ve said – it’s sad that the left, the supposedly more progressive people, have been exposed for the sexism they’ve thrown at both Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin.

30. Tom says:

Sorry I got to this discussion so late.

The reality is that progressives have been the folks supporting women and their advancement for a very long time against the usual–and sometimes life giving–conservative reverence for past traditions.

It’s predictable and encouraging that Christian progressives go off on the sexism of the Dem primaries. No doubt about the sexism. Hard to watch.

Good for us.

But sometimes we let the ideology get out of hand.

There’s nothing inappropriate about asking questions about whether a mother who currently has 5 kids and an infant with Down’s Syndrome is in the best place to lead the country.

That’s not progressive or conservative. That’s just common sense.

31. gar says:

elderj>
      Not to speak in Kari’s stead, but maybe her “Miss Congeniality” comments are a reference to the fact that Palin did in fact compete at one time to “Miss Alaska”, came in 2nd place, and *drumroll* won “Miss Congeniality”.

But yeah… let’s hope the media hype about her daughter dies down.

The questions I have about Palin in regards to her experience as governor / her politics:

“Troopergate”

There are allegations Palin abused her authority as governor to get a her brother-in-law (a state trooper) fired because he was involved in a child custody dispute with her sister.

“Alaskan Separatist”?

From 1994-1996, Palin and her husband were members of the “Alaskan Independence Party”, a political party who have as one of their platform statements:

“seek the complete repatriation of the public lands, held by the federal government, to the state and people of Alaska in conformance with Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17, of the federal constitution … To prohibit all bureaucratic regulations and judicial rulings purporting to have the effect of law, except that which shall be approved by the elected legislature …”

If the McCain campaign seems to harp on Michelle Obama’s statement about being “really proud of America”, how does their “Country First” motto fit when they picked a woman who once advocated that Alaska leave the Union?

I’m still not convinced that Palin was a sound pick for McCain. Sure, it’s probably part of their campaign strategy, but was she really the best possible choice?

32. Vegas says:

the smartest thing the Dems could do now is completely ignore Palin stating that she is just a VP running mate. Then concentrate on McCain and him being 90% and 4 more years of Bush. The Repubs are doing a good job at making this Palin V Obama which deflects away from Bush.

33. Vegas says:

everyone should stop worrying about if Palin has what it takes to be President and start really looking at McCain. do we want another 4 years of the same type of government? Palin is not going to be President. McCain is NOT on his deathbed.

34. Midnight says:

Obama says anyone making over $250,000 will be taxed, and is considered the rich, one above the middle class American! Well, let me tell you, that is not acceptable, and that annual income is NOT the ‘RICH’!!! That income is what many may say is rich, but it’s NOT; it’s part of the American dream. Rich is millions or billions!!!

Let me explain! My husband and I took out student loans (which we’re paying back for the next 10 years), and went to college (we’re professionals, and making a good income between us, but we have a lot of expenses), married, bought a house (the American dream—not a big house, but one built in 1973, a tri-level with about 3,000 sq. ft. It hasn’t been updated that much as we don’t have the money to do so), and we started a business.

We put all of our extra money into this small business. We have two kids, and started putting money into their college fund and our retirement. We’re barely making the monthly payments for house, utilities, and maintenance. We put money into investments monthly for our kid’s college, never wanting them to have student loans. We pay our insurance, home and health. Now with all our expenses, personal and professional, Obama is going to give us MORE TAXES??? NOT! NOT! NOT!

We DO NOT want more taxes which supposedly will give us universal health care. NO THANK YOU!!! We have friends throughout the world who live in societies that DOES provide health care for their citizens. GUESS WHAT??? It’s NOT free!!! The citizens of those countries pay for their healthcare with higher taxes and hidden fees with higher priced goods. We have Canadian and European friends who have come to America because they were seeking a better life for their families, especially lower taxes and better health care.

IF OBAMA IS ELECTED, AND RAISES TAXES, WE’RE GOING TO BANKRUPT!!! We’re barely making it now. We DO NOT take expensive vacations or buy expensive clothes! Most of my family which makes less than we do, can’t understand how someone who makes our salary is pinching pennies. This I understand, it’s called ‘the grass always looks greener on the other side’.

Let me tell you, if you make our salary, but put money in savings for two kids education, and provide for ones retirement, and also try to put money aside into an emergency fund (sickness, disability, new roof or furnace), and support a business which pays employee’s salaries and their health care, then you can still be considered ‘middle class’, and on the brink of bankruptcy.

Our employees are very important to us, and we WILL ALWAYS take care of them, with health insurance, and workman’s compensation, Our employees are family, and we take care of family…always and forever. And, for this we’re going to be TAXED TO THE MAX, and not be able to survive and provide, not only for us and our kids, but our employees??? NO Thank You! I want to live in a free society where we have a choice about health care, who and where we see or go for treatment, and to know my kids can expect better (financially) than their parents.

I’m not a die-hard republican, nor a democrat. I’m a free-thinking American who wants to live the “American Dream”. I want to take care of my kids and their future, to own a house and business, and to take care of my employees and their health care. I don’t need the government telling me how to run my life, how to provide for my family, and especially forcing me to not be able to take care of my employees and their health care!!!

Being an American is supposed to be “Freedom of Choice” and for me that means providing for my family by paying my kids education, a shelter for them (a home), and helping our society by providing jobs and health care for those who are a part of my extended family (my employees). Higher taxes for those of us who are barely in an income bracket that Obama thinks is the ‘rich’ will destroy not only our life, but those who we employ and provide health care for.

Think again, Obama, what your definition of rich is, especially as you move into that million dollar home!!! You need to get in touch with what’s truly the “American Dream”!!!!!!!

35. Jack says:

It seems Sarah Palin is getting all the attention which makes me think she was running for PRESIDENT!!

36. RK says:

It’s hard to feel sorry for you. Do you realize that 98.5% of American make less than you, and most make way, way less. Is it equal opportunity for those who can’t afford to give their kid’s the best primary and secondary education to later send them to the top colleges? Those on top want to stay on top…and fear slipping. You may live in a 1970’s house that is a bit of a fixer upper, but I bet you live in one of the top neighborhoods in the US.

My husband and I are in a similar situation. We both went to a top private school, dealt with paying back enormous college loans, bought a 1950’s home that keeps needing expensive repairs, and I started a business. We try to invest, give our kids all the possible opportunities they can have, and yes even for us things do get tight. If it’s hard for us, how much harder is it for the almost everyone else…never mind we’re only speaking of Americans, not even touching third world countries. God made all of us and, I believe, desires for all of His children to have enough to eat, have safe shelter, community and meaningful lives. We can cut a little of our entitlements, best education, great looking house, best neighborhood, best food, best opportunity for our own kids, so that others can eat, sleep safely and have basic medical needs met.

37. RK says:

My reply was in response to Midnight.

38. RK says:

Rob in Gallup,

How about the fact that Palin outright lies…re: the bridge to nowhere? Have you dug up info. on that? Check out JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press WriterWed Sep 3, 11:48 PM ET.

39. Midnight says:

RK,

I never wanted you or anyone else to feel sympathy, far from it. My husband and I grew up in that 98.5% of Americans that you mentioned, but we’ve worked damn hard to move ahead. But what’s to happen if we’re barely making it, without any so called luxuries as I mentioned? We’ve looked over our finances and budget, and there’s no extra for more taxes or anything that’s not necessary. We’re truly worried about bankruptcy and losing the business which is also our income. ***If this happens, are we to go on welfare or other government programs, and allow YOUR taxes to take care of my family and my employees? ***

More taxes will cause more problems for the majority of us. If taxes increase, we’ll probably have to close the business and let our employees go. This is what’s been stated over and over. Taxing the people who are making enough to own a small business is not the way to improve the economy or create jobs. I’m not talking about big national or international business with millions and billions of dollars. Small businesses contribute half of the economic out put of the country. Your comment ‘those on top want to stay on top…and fear slipping’ is totally over the top! I don’t fear slipping! I don’t want to lose what we’ve worked hard to accomplish for the last 15 years.

I just don’t’ get it! We’ve worked hard, and long hours, to get what we have. We didn’t go to private schools like you; our parents couldn’t afford it. We’re also the first ones in our family with college educations. Our parents were blue collar workers. My mother worked for 10-12 hours a day in a hot cotton mill, standing on concrete floors the entire shift. She was a single mom, as my father died when I was five. We lived in a two bedroom house with my grandmother. I slept in the bed with my mom until I was 18 and left home for college. We didn’t have the luxury of a third bedroom. I didn’t have the choice of a community college and living at home because we lived in the middle of a rural area with the nearest college two hours away. My husband’s family raised three kids in a two bedroom home, barely making ends meet. Again, I don’t want sympathy!!!

The American dream is to work hard, and get ahead, and that’s what we were taught. Our parents constantly told us, life is not a free ride. We were taught that we needed to work for what we achieve in life. I don’t believe in hand-outs from others. We take care of our own. And as far as the other people in the world, we’ve always given to charities for those less fortunate than us. We’ve given time and money for those who need help. This country is about freedom of choice, so I don’t think we should be taxed and forced to pay for other’s unless we chose to. We should do so because it’s the right thing to do, but still we shouldn’t be forced by the government to pay for the world’s problems. If we allow this choice to be made by our government, then what’s to stop them from making more choices for us? Be careful about starting something that can’t be stopped!

I do believe that some of our government programs serve a very needed purpose, including welfare. But, also believe in the two-year limit. Welfare should be used for helping those who really need it, not for those who have a different child with a different man every other year, drives a new car, and secretly has a man living in the household and supporting them while collecting food stamps. I also believe in making sure the children and elderly are taken care of, but not by raising my taxes! I believe we should take care of the problems here in our own country, helping our citizens, before we go trying to help the world. But, saying that, we constantly give money to the world food programs.

Our cars are eight and twelve years old. Yes, we live in a decent neighborhood, but it’s certainly not ‘one of the top’, far from it. And excuse me for living in a neighborhood where I feel safe, and don’t have drive by shootings killing our kids. Also, we pay higher taxes living in this neighborhood which supports the schools among other community services. Let me tell you, a 70s house is more than a ‘bit of a fixer upper’. If you think this house doesn’t have just as many problems as your 50s house then your wrong. Recently, we were lucky the entire house didn’t burn down, killing all of us while sleeping. We had an electric attic fire, which resulted in an almost complete rewiring, which we had to take a loan to pay for. How I wish I could have used that loan to replace 30+ year old carpet, but that would be a fixer upper repair, not a necessity! Insurance only paid for the repairs, not rewiring most of the house so this wouldn’t happen again, perhaps the next time having fatal results.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the grass always looks greener on the other side. An old cliché, but very true. If this is the American dream, then why bother? Why not just become a socialist country and let the government take care of all our problems; where we live, which doctor we go to, who goes to college. Did you know the governments in those countries decide who is intelligent enough for college since they pay for it? Oh, and if that happens, think about our freedom of choice. We’ll become like the communist countries where we’re not allowed freedom of religion or perhaps where the government decides how many children we have. If we lived in a country like that, be assured you and I wouldn’t be having this discussion. We wouldn’t dare criticize the government or head of the country in fear of retaliation or us and our family.

Sure this won’t happen over night, nothing ever does, but it’s a very slippery slope. It may take a few decades, but it would happen. NO THANK YOU!!! Our ancestors (mine from Germany/hubby’s Russia) came to this country for a better way of life, especially for the freedom of choice! As I also mentioned, we have friends who came from other countries and are now ‘legal citizens’ for the same reason. Why do you think all these people from other countries are wanting to live in America?

I’m very proud of what this country stands for. I laugh every time some celebrity says they’re leaving this country if so and so is elected president. Did you see any of them actually give up their citizenship and do so? NO! The beauty of this country is if you don’t like who is president, you can vote them out of office the next election. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes two terms, and by then some things are screwed up, and it takes another term or so to get things back half decent. But there again, that’s the glory of this country—we have hope and faith where many other countries know it’ll be a miracle if there’s change and freedom.

Just don’t assume we want sympathy. All we want is to live the American dream where we work hard to have better than our parents, and to give our children a better life than we had.

We could discuss this forever, and neither of us would change our minds. Let’s agree to disagree with our beliefs, after all, that too is the American way—Freedom of choice and beliefs. Amen for that!

P.S. ~~I’m neither a die-hard republican nor democrat. Neither party has all the answers. It would be easier if one party did meet everyone’s need, but that would be ‘Fantasy Land’. We all have to decide which is the lesser evil for our life and situation and VOTE!!! Sometimes I wonder how many complainers actually go to the polls to vote. Voting is the only true way for change!

40. RK says:

Midnight, I’m sorry if I’ve offended you in any way. That is not my intent. I’m trying to stay honest. It is difficult for me to comprehend that with you and your spouse making over $250K/year, that you are barely making it. My parents are full time missionaries making somewhere about $40K combined a year. In fact, they work in Russian with German colleagues. They’ve always lived a simple life with little financial worry. They own no property.

While growing up, my mom went from a very affluent family to marry my father, whose family lost everything in a bad business deal (diff. country where things like that weren’t so uncommon). Dad grew up eating sometimes one meal/ day. He worked hard to get himself a full scholarship through a doctorate degree. Leaving her family and means behind, my mother raised two kids, worked menial jobs in the States because she couldn’t speak English well. Nevermind that she was well-educated, and in fact according to IQ testing she’s considered a genius. She cleaned the dorm rooms at the school dad attended, painted on the side, did dishes for families near the school. I grew up seeing her with bloodied fingers from working so hard; yet, my parents never complained or ever spoke about us not having enough. We had enough to eat, a safe place to live. My brother & I slept on the living room couch together for some time. We shopped at the school’s “closet” which meant you bring things you don’t want and others at the school take things they can use. Our first bike that my brother & I shared was a rusty old one from a thrift shop. We loved that thing, learned that heated vinegar would take off the rust, etc. We were happy. I really think it’s a matter of perspective.

Despite all of this my parents managed to put my brother & I through top private schools, with scholarships and loans that we are grateful to get. The American Dream is real and possible. When you’re making $250K/year, I think it’s fair to have to give back.

I do agree with you that some people take advantage of it, and that some changes to prevent that kind of abuse needs to be in place. In fact when my brother was giving pro bono service as an attorney, he had to help defend a well-fare recipient who abused the very services you write of. It’s a messy complicated thing. Ideally, I wish the churches and private institutions could reach the bulk if not all the needs, but I don’t think this can be the only option at this time.

My husband and I are at the perfect tax level, making less than you where we’re paying the maximum in taxes. I also have a small business with employees. Often, I jokingly say that yeah, we are living a socialist system, but some of us don’t benefit. Sincerely, I understand where you are coming from. Yes, we work very hard, too.

My husband & I both lived and worked in the inner city with Latino youth as well, with gangs living up the street, with shoot-outs coming into our backyard. It is important to raise one’s family in a safe environment, but I wonder how each of us in a better place can help others to make their environments safer, too. Sometimes, I think because we’re making so much that we shouldn’t have to think about our bills, going out to eat on occasion, putting our kids in extra-curricular activities, but the truth is we do. Most folks aren’t millionaires, though, don’t we all wish we were. Even new homes will have issues. We just have to learn to budget for those situations. This year we wanted to travel to DC with family, but multiple home issues including a breakage in out main water line, failure of our furnace, asbestos, mold remediation, etc. came up, so we had to stay very local. (By the way sorry about the electrical fire; that is very scary, and I’m glad that your family came out okay) We were disappointed that at the end we didn’t have enough to go, but it was okay.

Many folks don’t even have homes to worry about. They’re at the mercy of their landlords, who may not even fix the basic problems to make the place safe to live in. Unfortunately those people don’t have options like we do. If things got really tough we could always downsize and move; we can stop eating out, cut down on some extra-curriculars, shop for kids clothes at second hand places, be watchful of our groceries. Both of us being educated, we can find others jobs, work multiple jobs. We happen to live in the LA area which has a high cost of living. I imagine from your concerns that you may also live in a high cost of living city. While we’d never want to move, if worse came to worse, we could if we wanted a lower cost of living and better life style. I think we have the resources to get back on our feet. Some people don’t have that.

41. RK says:

Also, I don’t know how long ago you and your husband came out of college, but most struggle the first 5-10 years to get stabilized. I remember the first few years, we lived in a bad neighborhood, drove a very old car that my husband bought for $100 dollars. We lived very frugally in order to pay off college debt, and save for a house. In order to afford our first new car, we lived more simply and frugally than those who we knew made multiple times less than we did. We don’t get cable; we don’t buy new electronics. We use rabbit ears. my husband owns three pair of shoes, two of them over 10 years old. It is in this way we can afford other luxuries. Most can’t have everything; we have to make hard choices. We try to donate at least 10% to charity, and while the primary reason isn’t to get a tax break, it does help. As for home repairs, I do most of it myself, from painting to most plumbing issues. In fact I replaced the toilet in two bathrooms. It’s a hassle, but it saves money and allows me to have a better functioning toilet.

42. dale says:

the last person to face as much criticism in a few years in politics was richard nixon, and he did not come out of it with an 80% approval rating.

nuf said.

43. dale says:

as a note on the question of experience i have many things to say.

firstly, bill gates with no college experience successfully became the richest man in the world.

secondly, if palin had none, would the democrats/liberal media find so much to criticize her for?

thirdly, my mother father and myself were all abused as children, in one way or another, my mother took to drinking and drugs, and gave up on life, despite her experiences, she had gained no experience. my father also gave into drugs but after 40 years is making attempts to change and successfully has earned enough money to retire at a fairly early age of 55. and i work on a regular basis without pay for my local church, developing young minds.

experience is something we choose to learn, or we simply let fall by the wayside.

palins family and history speak for the way she has used her experience, while i see nothing in obamas life aside from being african american that speaks in any way to his difficulties and growth.

44. RK says:

Dale,
      You’ve got to be kidding me about Obama. Do you have any inkling of what a community organizer does? He was magna cum laude of Harvard Law school, grew up without a father as a mixed raced person. He could’ve pursued just about any field and been successful. According to some, Harvard apparently selects its students knowing that he/she will succeed whether or not he/she goes to college at all. Obama chose to work for the least of the people, and work hard and successfully. (I’m sorry to hear about your personal family’s experience).

45. dale says:

actually i know better than most what a community organizer CAN do, and what a person can do despite thier knowledge or level of expertize. firstly, your incredibly insane to beleive that obamas taxes wont break you as well as the rest of the working class trying to survive. taxes unlike politicians dont play favorites, even if the tax is meant to.

the reality is, obamas history as a community organizer is under attack because it should be, he did very little in comparison to some. i admire most community organizers, but when obama does a mediocre job, only to use it as a platform for political change im sorry but i cant respect or admire that. especially as his entire record follows suit with the mediocre work ethic.

if anything his harvard experience suggests one thing, HE SHOULD be capable of doing more than he has, perhaps his reason for not taking on more respectable careers is simply that he lacks the work ethic to face them. to me that fits his actions as a logical intention more than anything else claimed.

(and thank you for respecting my familys history)

46. RK says:

How do you back up your claims and accusations.

47. dale says:

ironic question coming from an obama supporter.

unfortunately online theres no way to backup my accusations, but the simple reality that obama has done very little of note, including voting present in the senate because he was unable to make decisions, speaks more to his inexperience, than his experience.

to put it mildly, im not impressed, and i feel a president should impress me in some way, either with thier actions, thier logic, or thier record. obama does none of this in any way.

48. RK says:

You can say anything that you want to say and believe, but it’s not worth much unless you back them up with facts and data, or even links.

What is your expertise in taxes and our economy? Do you know how many people would benefit or be hurt by a particular tax structure? In fact, do you even know what median tax bracket you’re in? For you to make a claim that what I suggest about Obama’s tax structure is “incredibly insane”, I figure you ought to have some facts to back up such a strong statement.

What do you know about Obama’s “mediocre” (according to you) community organizing past experience? Can you explain how you “know better than most what a community organizer CAN do”? What’s your experience in this?

49. RK says:

It’s hard to believe that you say you can’t backup your accusations (indeed that is what they are) based on the online info. It is a plethora of information. Where, then, did you get your facts to begin with?

50. RK says:

Also, I think it’s amusing that you accuse Obama of lacking logic. I doubt Harvard law professors thought he was illogical. Again, let’s remember that he graduated magna cum laude there. Not something someone does by sheer rhetoric and luck. It takes hard work, logic and intelligence.

51. RK says:

And for that matter, being able to back up one’s ideas, be it accusations or something else.

52. RK says:

Did you realize that Obama has a FACT section on his own website…

53. dale says:

in the same manner though when has obama backed up his claims?

his roll as a community organizer is just that “a community organizer” he has nothing of import to speak about it. the simple fact that hes never spoken about it more than a sentence for a political platform is enough to make people question what he actually did.

besides, im not here to back up MY claims. because i am not running for president. my simple point is that obama is not.

as for tax, its simple logic, one doesnt need an education to figure out that if you tax a business it raises its prices to compete with taxes. in taxing the supposed rich, obama forces taxes on everyone who buys anything from the rich. or benefits from teh riches generosity.

sure we can claim that the rich should put a larger effort into helping thier communities, but then taxing them? doesnt that make them more ill towards thier less fortunate neighbors?

i think its a common misconception that a person requires an education to understand such things, i mean…look at bush.

and look again at gates…

what a person can PROVE especially in terms of thier knowledge is rarely a factor worth evaluating….because in your own words “its hard to beleive what you say when you cant backup your accusations”

the only difference is, to me, a diploma isnt proof of competancy, and neither is a certified speech on change.

perhaps you dont trust me or my judgment or my claims but perhaps you should find out yourself before dismissing them.

as for my proof, my experience, i spent a year of my life working essentially as an intern for a community organizer. and the reality of the job unfortunately is that without motivation by the leader and the community, very little ever gets done.

54. dale says:

i never said obama was not logical, i said he did not impress me with his logic, there is a difference.

55. RK says:

As for the logic part, what else is your statement supposed to mean, then. It baffles me that people can argue without fact or logic, and accuse others of not having commom sense because they use facts and logic?

I think it’s common sense to check out the fact before you accuse someone of something or of lacking in something. Everyone should be accountable to what they say or do–whether or not you are running for political office. It’s called integrity.

And interning one year as a community organizer by far does not qualify you as an expert on that topic. Never mind that you know of nothing of Obama’s experience in that field. Why don’t you take time to look it up before you start throwing out statements. I really think to not do so is wallowing in chosen ignorance. This really is unacceptable for someone who is “developing young minds”. In fact that scares me…what are you developing their minds for? We don’t just have minds to make accusations and guesses. It’s one thing to admit that you don’t know or understand something, its another to speak as though you are an expert in an area, where in fact you know nothing about it.

This kind of thinking, or lack there of, is what has gotten us into the last eight years of failed US policies, evident in our current economic bind as well as alienation from our former US allies. This is the same kind of careless thought process that produces fundamentalist thinking like those of Al-qaeda. They don’t think logically or based on sound facts; it’s based on fear, anger and hate.

56. RK says:

And yes, Bush was not too smart, and we are all paying the price for that, aren’t we.

57. dale says:

i never claimed to be an expert, i said i knew more than most on the subject.

i stated obama never impressed me with his logic, obama has the logic one might find on an iq test, however the world is hardly an iq test. therefore i am not impressed by it.

i voted for kerry despite being an avid republican, because i do not follow what you call “that kind of thinking”.

what you call holding someone accountable to thier words, is something one cannot do online or in a speech. therefore integrity has nothing to do with it.

the fact is, what obama has done in the fields he has been in, has been vastly short of a man you praise for being magna cum laude.

MANY men have done more than obama without even graduating highschool, so what you claim to be facts has no relevance.

and forgive me to suggest, that its the type of thinking that beleives such things as a diploma and an education at a prestigious school (yale) that got bush elected, as well as the mindless non fact checking that went into kerrys supposed fake record.

you have jumped to conclusion, found offense that didnt exist, and claimed things well beyond what could be claimed in a simple conversation…that is teh kind of “intelligence” that put bush in the whitehouse.

i again, on the other hand, voted for kerry last election.

58. dale says:

im also not ignorant or arrogant enough to beleive that all republicans think bush was favorable, or even republican, considering he spent more during his term than most democrats…and thats saying something.

59. RK says:

And this is from ABC’s Senior National Correspondent Jack Tapper.

Tapper wrote Thursday in a blog, “For nine years I’ve listened to Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., movingly call on younger Americans to serve a cause greater than their self-interest. Wasn’t Obama merely heeding that very call? Wasn’t Obama merely heeding that very call?”

This is in regards to Obama’s three years as a community organizer. Hmm…1 year internship to three years of giving up a lucrative job as corporate attorney, so he could help bring communities in Chicago’s poor neighborhoods to “work together …rebuilding communities and setting up job training centers and setting up afterschool programs for kids” Obama in Lancaster PA on 9/4/08

60. dale says:

again i repeat, where is teh praise?

a person who does great things in a community garners praise from his community.

yes, he chose a non lucrative job, yes he chose something under his paygrade, and yes, he was a community organizer. now were is the so called proof he did anything to merit his choice?

61. RK says:

I did not say that a diploma or doing well on an IQ test qualifies someone to be president, though it helps. All situations require accountability, even a conversation on a blog like this. It’s not that hard to back up your statements; in fact the web makes it a whole lot easier because you can instantly cross-check references.

I don’t know why you bring up “other men have done more…without even graduating highschool”, and why this would somehow make what I have said irrelevant about Obama’s qualifications. Resumes and tests are merely tools used to give employees or others some indication of that person’s abilities in certain situations. I think they are relevant, and most of the world uses this kind of standard. I do agree that people without them have the ability to accomplish great things, but this is not what we are discussing, are we.

62. dale says:

perhaps taking a lucrative job, and sending the profit into the community would have done more? perhaps neither because he wouldn’t put in a hard and fast effort? i have known a few people who volunteered instead of taking monetary jobs and i have known some who walk proud and do a great deal and others who only choose it because they want the recognition opposed to the money which they keep hearing doesn’t buy them happiness.

63. RK says:

What proof are you looking for? Umm, lets see he was elected to the Illinois Senate in 1996, re-elected in ’98 then in ’02. I think that shows something.

64. dale says:

they are irrelevant tools when compared to men without them, he falls short, people prove their worth by the things they do, not the things they claim.

obama proves he has all the things u claim, but to me, he proves that he does not have the defining characteristic necessary of a president, because he does not command the initiative to put forth the effort while in the job.

that goes from his lack of statements about his past work in communities, that goes from his voting “present” in the senate, and it even stems from his inability to speak with the people most important when visiting foreign countries, including his visit to Iraq where he hardly spoke with the generals or the soldiers.

65. RK says:

Are you saying that someone doing a good turn for recognition is somehow greater than someone who does it as a job, and happens to get paid? What hard and fast effort did he not give. This discussion is extremely amusing to me. Who ever spoke about money and happiness? Just wondering where this is going?

66. RK says:

Just because Obama doesn’t go around bragging about all the details of his particular work does not mean they didn’t happen. Often times it’s those who brag the most who have the least to show for all their bragging.

67. RK says:

Again, instead of arguing about something you clearly no very little about, why don’t you take some time and research a bit. It isn’t hard. You can start just by going to Wikipedia; it has some very basic facts and information on Obama.

68. RK says:

By the way your statement about Bill Gates is incorrect. He went to Harvard, then dropped out 1975. Again, check your facts. And he was very educated; he basically read all the books in his local library. I mentioned that Harvard selects those who they know don’t need their degree; they select them to make their school continue to look great. In fact, many schools do that. That is why they offer merit scholarships; they’re hoping those graduates will bring prestige to their school. Gates received his honorary degree from Harvard in 2007.

69. dale says:

i didnt say obama should brag, i said a person who wworks hard garners recognition. its quite simple, if you do good work people recognize it, who is recognizing obama for his good works?

70. dale says:

to be fair, on your information, there are multiple wikipedias which bounce around between bill gates being a harvard, stanford, and or high school drop out, i chose the one which best illustrates my point ;).

71. dale says:

as for books being an educational development i never said they werent, but one can go through college without books (to a certain extent), and one can go through prison with them, and often does.

again, the most important factor is something obama does not show.

and yes, intention, is the most important part of a persons motivations, without it even a president is just another person with a job.

72. dale says:

sorry i should be more clear about the effort he doesnt put in, im comparing him to palin, i thought that was obvious given the articles topic.

73. eugenecho says:

you folks are having too much fun. i think it’s best for you to take it off line. you both have your convictions. let’s just call it at that.

74. dale says:

righty-o, on a lighter note i commend you for blogging, i understand and do the same, and for the same reasons. i hope you are able to keep your faith as times get harder (and as they get easier might i add). keep it up :).

75. Midnight says:

RK,

Most important, YOU DID NOT offend me. Darlin’, I’m a tough southern gal who stands firm with her beliefs, and doesn’t get offended by a friendly debate!!! Actually, I love and welcome them!

My only rules, DON’T ATTACK, KEEP IT LIGHT, AND HAVE FUN debating. I refuse to deal with negativity or abuse; I ignore such posts.

***JUST FOR THE RECORD: IF ANYONE ATTACKS I’LL IGNORE THOSE POSTS!!! Life is too short for negativity!!! I don’t have time to waste on arguing.***

RK,

I can relate to what you’re saying, about how you lived when you first married. Years ago as newly weds, we rented an apartment in a bad neighborhood. I remember hating to change the clocks in the fall, with nightfall coming earlier; that meant I needed to be inside and locked in for the night. I’m not exaggerating; if one dared to be outside after dark, then it was at your own life’s risk. At that time we lived in Atlanta, and it wasn’t a good area. No one wanted to be out in ‘that neighborhood’ after dark. Muggings and rapes were common. I remember booby-tapping our back door so I would hear intruders before they made it upstairs, especially the nights hubby was working 3rd shift.

Eventually, we relocated to the north (still a big city with high cost of living), and chose to live in this neighborhood where we didn’t have to worry about our kids playing in the back yard after dark or booby-trapping back doors.

During our early years of marriage in Atlanta, we bought groceries with a calculator in hand. Many times, our grocery cart went over budget, so we put items back on the shelf if it could wait until the following week. We still do that today if things run tight. We both owned cars when we married, old ones, but we did have two (two was a necessity for our work) which were falling apart . They were paid for, but so old that we spent a lot of money for repairs. My husband drove a 1968 Cutlass (our better car—his parents previously owned, and gave it to him. We kept it as we knew they had maintained the car, and we could depend on it to get us where we needed to be), until we moved north.

Our entertainment was camping, since it only cost $21 for the entire weekend (from Fri.-Sun.) for the campsite (tent camping). Even that was a luxury which we could only afford one weekend a month if we were lucky. Our ‘big splurge’ was once every couple of months, going to a restaurant for a steak dinner; at the time $9.99. I would collect cans for recycling to earn extra $$$ for our ‘big night out fund’.

***All this made us appreciate what we’ve worked very hard to accomplish. We’ve worked 15 years to get to this point, to acquire the American Dream.***

My concern; what’s going to happen to our employees who depend and are loyal to us? These people are more than employees, they’re our extended family which we owe so much. We’ve attended their family birthdays, births, and deaths. They’re committed to us and the business, and in return we’ve always treated them honestly and fairly. If we have to close the business and let them go, that will truly upset us. They’ll be unemployed just because higher taxes forced us to close the business. We have several single moms, one a young widow (like my mom), who depends on our employment. They, like us, do NOT want any government assistance to take care of them or their families! They’re all very independent and determined people who are striving to take care of their families without any assistance! I so admire them for that!!!

My family also gives many hours of our time to shelters, and food pantries, plus extra money when we can. We also volunteer for the meals on wheels, and any other charity that helps the elderly. We’ve given money and time to ‘toys for tots’, and other charities. We also donate money to several medical organizations, including mammograms for women who can’t afford them. Our company (family business) does quarterly fund raisers for different non-profit organizations. This is another thing we’ll have to stop if higher taxes force us to close the family business. Last year we earned over $25,000 for charities, something we’re very very very proud of! All of our charity money stayed in our community, helping the elderly and lower income mothers who needed assistance with food and health care.

***As I mentioned earlier, and again will state, it always looks better on the other side of the fence. Another person can NOT assume or judge unless you live the life, and know where every penny goes, and how much one does to give to others, not just their family, but the community.***

*******This will be my last post on ‘this issue’.*******

*****I just wanted to share and inform; just because you make $250,000 does NOT mean you’re RICH as Obama believes.*****

It all comes down to the responsibilities one has, including taking care of family without government assistance, and employing others, paying their wages and health care, and giving to those who can not pay for food, shelter and medical. We do this because it’s our choice, and the right thing to do, but I NEVER want the government to dictate that I have to pay a set amount of money, based on our income, for others!!!

***Perhaps if Obama is elected, he should hire officials to audit the small businesses of people who earn under $500,000; look at their records, and find what they’re expenses are for employees, their personal earnings, and what they’re contributing to the community. If they find the ‘small business’ is contributing to the community, paying the employees and their benefits, then they should not tax that employee!!!***

Okay, enough said on this matter!!!

I only ask if you, your family members or friends are employed by a small business, then think about what higher taxes will do to those employers. I’m not referring to national or international companies with billions of dollars, but your local family owned, ‘mom & pop’, small businesses.

Remember, many local companies with a big ‘chain name’ are not owned by that ‘big name’ business, but a franchise that a local person has bought the rights to, and working very hard to make it profitable, and a success.

If you’re really interested in knowing which businesses in your area are family owned or a franchise, then you can very easily “goggle” your questions. Think Hallmark, McDonald’s, and many more big businesses sell their franchises to individuals. Those individuals are local people who many times buy into a big name, hoping to also live the American dream.

Voting for what is right for your personal issues is the only way to make sure this country never becomes anything but a nation that stands for FREEDOM, freedom for choice, and freedom to express our desires by voting for what we want. I hope everyone goes to the polls this November 4th.

Please DO NOT vote for whatever party you feel you belong to or who you think is more popular. Please look at the issues and vote for whoever you think is the best for this country, who will bring more experience, and put the country before their own issues. Don’t allow this wonderful country to slip one step toward socialism where we NO LONGER have a choice!

God Bless America, and the American Dream…forever! GO VOTE!!!

76. RK says:

Thanks Midnight for sharing. I see and appreciate where you are coming from. I own a small business with employees, one I started from scratch, mainly to serve the local community in an area that I felt was underserved.

Ideally, I wish we didn’t have to pay any taxes. I guess we just disagree on what the practical solution to the current problems are, but I do respect your reasons. Thanks. I’ve enjoyed this conversation with you.

77. RK says:

Thanks Eugene. You’re right about me not continuing on this road with dale. Keep it civil, right? I apologize.

78. eugenecho says:

No need to apologize at all. You folks were very civil…but that particular conversation has taken its course.

79. happen says:

see 911Truth.org

80. TomT says:

Sarah Palin is the only real hope for the Republican party, and the far left liberals know this and fear what she is capable of achieving. Which explains why the corrupt mainstream media vilifies her to such a degree. The political process in this country is broken, as evidenced by the Obama campaign, and it’s time we Americans stop accepting this and demand a higher standard. And, when Sarah Palin is sworn in as the first female president in our nations history in 2012, she will bring honesty, integrity and common sense back to the table. She will not accept the status quo, bringing the real change to Washington that the ‘false prophet’ Obama failed to deliver. America will then have a president in office for the first time since 1980 that truly cares about the people, and the values that once made this country so great. Palin for President – 2012!