inviting all prayers and dreamers

Please excuse us for being selfish but we need your help.  We are inviting all PRAYERS and DREAMERS.  Thus, we are coming to our larger community – friends, family, blogosphere network, Questers, and random connections – to genuinely share our  prayer requests and dreams.  Honestly, I’m not really good at asking for things.  That is something I need to be working on but here are two prayer requests and a repetitious dream I want to place before you.

DONATE TO HELP FIGHT GLOBAL POVERTY:

First of all, we thank those that have already decided to partner with us in helping “seed” the poverty organization. It is humbling…thank you.

Second, we want to take this opportunity again to invite people to join us.  We need your help…dream with us!  Imagine partnering together to help start an organization that can impact thousands and thousand of people around the world?  ANY financial support towards the “Operations Fund” is appreciated and needed to get the org started – which would then enable us to give 100% of all donations from the Giving Fund to projects and people around the world.  Please let us know [email me at seattlejediknight@gmail.com] if you want to donate and we’ll send you our vision letter.

PRAYER:

The sale of our home. Our home is listed on the housing market.  Please pray that our home finds a buyer.  Our agent is hosting an Open House this weekend and next.  You can say that we’re a little intimidated in this housing market with all the doom and gloom news. It doesn’t help that we’re 5000 miles away but we are trusting in the Lord.  We’re praying for a competitive sale since the equity is necessary to help fund the Global Poverty Humanitarian organization.

And for those who are concerned about our housing situation…no worries.  God has been very gracious to our family.  We have a wonderful home we have been living in for couple years in thanks to the shared generosity of our parents.  To our knowledge, they won’t kick us out anytime soon.  :)

Non-Profit 501c3 Application. Please pray for the 501c3 application with the Internal Revenue Service.  We completed and turned in all the necessary documents couple months ago; we were hoping to receive a determination in August but as of now, we’re now about 30-60 days away. They are still processing older applications and the 501c3 issuance is very important as we move forward. We’ve been registered already as a non-profit through the State of Washington.

If you haven’t had a chance, you can also read the FAQ which should answer most of your questions.  Here are couple questions we often receive:

What is the ORG envisioning?

Our vision is to create a grassroots, global, and viral movement by integrating three key elements:  Human Relationships, Compassion & Justice, and Technology and Creativity.  We believe we can create an organization that will 1] inform and educate, 2] collect and distribute fund, 3] collaborate – all with the purpose of fighting global poverty.

While not exclusive, our vision is to focus on small NGOs [non-gov orgs] and CBOs [community based orgs] around the world, engage in larger grants of microfinance, and granting seed money for future ventures engaged in fighting poverty.  Our firm convictions are that there are men, women, and children, and orgs already on the ground that fully understand their local context and community.  They are doing amazing work to not only fight global poverty through demonstrations of compassion but building infrastructure for sustainability.

We are inviting thousands and millions of people around the world to get involved and together, we want to help “change the world.”

What is your personal commitment?

We are committing to give our One Year’s Salary [$66,000] to the cause of Fighting Global Poverty.  We’ve also committed to give an additional $34K, for a total of $100K.

Why are you making a big deal of giving away your money?

Honestly, we’re not trying to.  We would rather have just given away our money if that had been our only conviction.  But we believe we can make a greater impact by challenging others to join us in this fight against global poverty – even if in the slightest way.

How can we ask people to give if we don’t demonstrate our own commitment to this cause?  We are not asking people to do anything we are not first willing to do ourselves.  In short, we are putting our money where our mouth is.

Relevant Links:

Filed under: family, religion

1. Darren P. says:

Eugene,

Thanks for sharing your heart. My wife and I will be in prayer for you throughout.

2. Donna says:

Hello, Eugene & Minhee,

I’ll be praying for you & asking God’s blessing for a quick sale of your home & to bless your new venture.

3. daphne says:

you got it. we’ll be praying for you.

4. sammie says:

Grant the desires of their heart, Lord. Honor them as they seek to honor you. Surprise them beyond their imaginations. Do a wondrous work so that others may be drawn to YOU.

5. Hello,

My sister told me she had found your blog, so I came to see how you have been “moving & shaking” in seattle…I’m glad to see that you’re doing well. Your vision to stop global poverty is awesome & left me speechless, but I wasn’t surprised because it’s like you to start something so extraordinary. I’m hoping to round up our old youth group members & donate. I’ll see how that goes…My prayers are with you & your family.

6. We will keep you guys in our prayers.

7. Peter Choi says:

Eug,
    I am praying for you and your family. You are such a inspiration to me. Your challenges are affecting so many people. Heem-Nae!

8. Jenny says:

Be encouraged, remember that it is GOD’S dream in you that you are pursuing. He will accomplish all that He has planned…and it will be exciting to see how He does it!

My husband and I are excited to go to Quest on Sunday! :)

God bless you and your family.

9. David Weber says:

Kiva.com is a micro-lending agency, doing magnificent work in ending poverty, one person at a time.

I appreciate that others feel the need to start organizations of their own to “do something” but I also affirm my belief that the best way to make a difference is to help build on that which is already successfully being done.

10. rex says:

I will be praying for you.

I praise God for what He has given you and what He has allowed you to do in His name.

God bless.

11. eugenecho says:

@david weber: yes, you are affirmed. kiva is a great org. one of many. i’m also glad that when folks told them the exact same thing several years ago, they examined themselves and moved forward.

12. Tom says:

We have only been a legal non-profit for 2 months
    there is hope and you have a great goal

13. Anthony says:

You are in my thoughts & prayers during this time commitment.

14. [...] inviting all prayers and dreamers « beauty and depravity Updates from Eugene Cho’s work on global poverty (tags: poverty global prayer justice) [...]

15. [...] the power of education * if this post compels you, consider joining us in prayers and dreams. [...]

16. question abt q says:

we’re checking out q and noticed women pastors – is this bibilical?

17. rk says:

someone in my chruch annointed her home with oil as she prayed over it. the sale went well and she got the price she wanted.

18. [...] How to donate to the Seeds Funds for Org [...]

19. [...] or certificates to Vietnames pho noodle, Minhee is requesting that each of you take ONE minute to read this post and consider making a small [...]

Nakuru National Park, Kenya. Not your average neighborhood zoo. #flamingoes Kenya. Asante sana. Bwana asifiwe. So grateful for God's grace and provision. It's emotional and humbling every time we sign a check to award another grant. This is ONLY possible because of all of our generous donors and supporters.

This 19,932.90 grant is for a partnership with CREATE! ... that will train and empower 250 Sengalese women to produce and sell poultry, start their own businesses, etc.

Thank you and let's keep going!!! Share our stories. Share your day's wages. Or start your own birthday campaign.

ONEDAYSWAGES.ORG Seattle. Right now. That is all. Today is the last day of my 3 month sabbatical. That went by so fast... On the first day, our family went to Santa, Cruz, California. The first thing we did after we arrived at the San Jose airport was to go straight to In-N-Out. If these kids grow up and feel like they need counseling because their Dad didn't show them love, I'm gonna show them this picture as well and say, "I'VE GOT PROOF. I TOOK YOU TO THE BEST BURGER JOINT WITH NICE CHRISTIAN VERSES UNDER THE DRINK CUP." My prayer life always becomes a little more active when I go fishing. #NameItAndClaimIt #ComeOnSalmon

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,026 other followers