hawaii trip highlights and lowlights

The family and I are now back from our week work/play trip to Hawaii.  We had a good time but it’s actually good to be back home.  All is good except two things: 1) learned one of our older congregants broke her hip at church last Sunday and 2) Lance Armstong and Kate Ashley Olson are supposedly dating.  I go away for a week and this is what happens!

Here are some highlights, lowlights, and random information from our excursion to Hawaii to aid you for your future trip to the 50th state:

• Andy and Diana had a great wedding at one of the most beautiful backgrounds of Turtle Bay at North Shore.  I’m not sure if people were looking at me or the view behind me.
  • During their wedding, I had my first experience of a small bug flying into my mouth during the sermon.  I took one for the team and just swallowed the bug and continued on.  No joke.
  • Peter and Lotus had an incredible wedding celebration as well.  All stories are unique and amazing but theirs is truly incredible.  Their celebration was very authentic Hawaiian!  Haoles, packies, chang, choke, ono and whatever other slang they used.
  • George and David were wedding crashers.  They showed up at both weddings and just because they helped play/sing the wedding songs, they must have thought it was ok to eat all the food.  Chris ate too but she has good excuse since she’s eating for two.  The all-you-can-eat sushi bar one of the weddings was nice.
  • We arrived on Monday and it poured like crazy.  For about an hour, it poured like we’ve never seen.  Thought for a sec that we brought the rain from Seattle.  For our kids, it was no problem.  They were swimming in the pool during the rainstorm – the only kids in the pool.
  • Weather turned beautiful after that.  Every day – just perfect weather.  Mid 80s, low humidity, nice trade winds – every day.   Did I say – Every Day?
  • We’re not really fanatical tourists that go to every attraction.  We just did five things:  eat, sleep, beach, swim, and marry people.  But one thing about Waikiki I hated:  all these fancy name brand shops. And also, everybody speaking to me in Japanese.  Arigato.
  • The beaches were great.  We enjoyed playing in the ocean but Christine nearly destroyed my vacation when she left a comment that she heard that the Hawaiian sand is imported from Australia.  What the Beelzebub?  Heck, might as we go directly to Australia then.
  • Why were there so many Questers in Hawaii?  Yes, several were there for the weddings but we ran into 6 more Questers randomly in Hawaii including my wife running into two of them in the women’s bathroom in Hanauma Bay.  We could have had our own Sunday church service…
  • Speaking of Hanauma Bay, what a letdown.  Snorkeling there is just not the same as the experience 10 years ago.  Where did all the fish go?  What happened to Nemo?
  • Speaking of snorkeling, Leo was gracious enough to drive us around for a day and took us to Hanauma Bay.  Leo grew up in Oahu.  While I had my snorkel gear, Leo snorkeled with nothing – not even goggles.  He was going up and down the water.  I was tempted to just grab his bald head and let him take me everywhere under water.  He’s Flipper.
  • One place that I’ll highlight that Leo took us was Leonards where they sell the most incredible and delicious pastry called malasadas.  This is a must eat…along with Spam, Eggs, and Rice for breakfast at your local McDonalds.
  • You think traffic in Seattle is bad?  Honolulu and Waikiki area is crazy.
  • $264 for a round trip ticket?  What a bargain.  Need to do this more often.

Filed under: family, travel, ,

1. leochen says:

I think the bold head might be a little too slippery to hold on to. ha! =)

2. Jessie says:

Pastor Eugene. What are you doing spreading false rumors?? Lance Armstrong is dating Ashley Olsen, not Mary-Kate. (Please see last week’s People for info on Lance’s conflicted emotions about the situation…) :-)

3. Wayne Park says:

Hmm.. Hanauma Bay was about the only snorkeling we ever got.. Ash LOVED it. What chon-noms we are. Oh yeah the sand thing was crazy.. imported. and I felt the same way about Waikiki..

4. Tommy says:

You went to the wrong island for relaxation. Waikiki is so overrated. They built it for Japanese tourists. But yes, Leonards…yummy.

I’d recommend Maui for better rest.

5. e cho says:

Jessie: Sorry for the wrong facts. But let’s talk about the real dilemma: why are you reading People Magazine?

Wayne: Happy Birthday bro.

6. insipid "g" says:

you’ll have to snorkel/snuba off of maui (molikini) next time!

7. Jessie says:

i don’t know, i don’t know! i’ve been reading it for years and i just don’t know how to stop……

8. Ben says:

Yes! My ex-gf Ashley grew up in Honolulu and took me to Leonard’s. I believe you’ve met her before. So good. Ruined Krispy Kreme for me.

After my 2 week stay in Honolulu, I realized that I wanted to buy a vacation home sometime in the Hawaii Kai (sp?) area.

The air smells sweet and all you want to do is just chill out all day, everyday.

9. Eugene,
    Sorry I almost destroyed your trip for you but yes next time go straight to Australia. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed with the fish on the Great Barrier Reef. Of course I might be prejudiced.

10. Melissa says:

Lance Armstrong is dating Ashley Olson?

Ew.

11. Andy says:

Thanks for taking one for the team! I saw the bug for a little bit and then saw it disappear, didn’t see where it ended up ;)

Invest in your soul.
Read the Scriptures.
Pray & listen.
Embrace silence.
Go for a walk.
Laugh with friends.
Enjoy a good book.
Soak in God's creation.

#NatureIsMyLoveLanguage Final sunset.

Aloha. Mahalo. Hana hou. Ohana.

Thank you, Kona, the Whitlocks, YWAM, sea turtles, Nemo, Restorers DTS, and Scandinavian Shaved Ice. Our three children.

One will be heading off to college in one year. The 2nd in three years. In six years, Minhee and I will be empty nesters. As a young parent, my prayers for them often surrounded their purpose in life. While I still ponder those things, there are three things that I most pray for:

1. That they may love Christ and obey Christ. Not just the idea but to actually follow Christ and thus, to love people.

2. To hold God's Word - the Holy Scriptures - dear and near to their hearts.

3. To love one another and be there for one another for life. To be loyal to one another. To protect one another. To never allow pettiness, conflicts, jealousy,  money, or whatever to get between them in the future. Ever.
May it be so. Amen. Kona sunset. #nofilter

Perhaps from the outside...things look great but this has been one of the most challenging years of our life. The most painful has involved one of our kids who've had to endure through a lifelong chronic illness. This year, we've gone to the hospital 3-4 times/week trying to get her better. Ups and downs. Emotional roller coaster. Parents will understand this but nothing hurts more than a sick child...especially when you can't "fix" the situation. We were praying that our trip to Hawaii would be a balm for her soul...but it has been hard. Really hard. Lots of tears hard. But soaking in this sunset with our kids is something we don't want to take for granted.

We continue to pray and hope. Hope is not that God promises us perfection or everything we want but that in all situations...God is with us. Believing - while faltering - in this truth for our child. My Hawaiian Seattle Korean queen. #kona @minheejcho A family that hikes together stays together. #kona #pololuvalley

• Great World Cup final and tournament. Now, if we can just get FIFA to change their corrupted ways. || 8 hours ago
  • Congrats to the USA Women - 2015 World Cup Champions! And respect to Japan for a great tournament & never quitting. http://t.co/x4lmf0si9F || 8 hours ago
  • USA Women haven't scored a goal in over 5 minutes. This is pathetic. What's wrong with them? ;) || 9 hours ago
  • USA. WOW. USA. WOW. USA. WOW. USA. WOW. Four goals and counting... || 9 hours ago
  • Grace doesn't necessarily fix everything...but it can change everything. || 11 hours ago
  • Happy B-Day, USA. May we have the gratitude to celebrate our freedom, courage to atone for our mistakes, & humility to pray for our future. || 1 day ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,259 other followers