please stop dancing

Ok, is it bad that I can’t stop laughing?  Anyone remember Rick Astley from the 1980s?  I kinda remember and I thought he was kinda cool.  He emerged as a global sensation and star with the song, Never Gonna Give You Up, which hit #1 in the U.S. and U.K. in 1987.  I never saw the video then since MTV was banned in our family.  And then I saw this video recently on YouTube and just couldn’t stop laughing.  It just makes me smile.

The great thing thing is that Rick is still singing and touring.  But I hope he’s stopped dancing…

What’s the lesson here?  Be careful what gets recorded.  You may forever be remembered via YouTube…

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. Nick H says:

I think he’s awsome. Thanks for posting this! Next time I get on the dance floor I’m going to bust out some of these moves.

2. e cho says:

i would pay to see you dance like that.

3. Deanne says:

The most perfect part of this is the barman who, at first shot, is staring at this red-head dancing with the most perplexed look on his face. I can only imagine what he is thinking. Appropriate that its the frame frozen on this page!

4. RyanBD says:

What I’m questioning is the choice of venues – what’s with the trench coat + dark alley + “I’m never gonna give you up…never gonna say goodbye…” Stalker? The interplay between dark and light settings…could be a cry for help from the Rickster.

I can’t believe this is the first comment I’m making on this blog.

5. peggyluwho says:

I still think he’s hot.

6. januarys says:

peggy, me too! and he was by far the BEST dancer in that video…. haha

7. abarclay12 says:

He looks like if it was 1985 and Clay Aiken had joined the mafia. But the dance moves are priceless.

8. januarys says:

you act like Clay Aiken is not in the mafia… come on, am i the only one who remembers Fredo?

9. abarclay12 says:

Ha! That made me laugh out loud. You’re right. Fredo was total Clay Aiken. Good call.

10. andie ellis says:

I just sent this to Rachel and Karl….I haven’t laughed like this in a long time..

11. J. Michael Matkin says:

Sadly, I remember this video far too well. Thanks for the trip down amnesia lane, Eugene. Astley ranks up there with Mike Tyson in the Body and Voice Mismatch department.

12. Dan H says:

He was always a bit uncool with me because my Mom always said he was seemed like a ‘nice young man.’

13. DK says:

Eugene, you absolutely made my week. You see, I have this running joke with my wife that my one dancing move is the same as Rick Astley’s one dancing move (where he makes two fists and flails his arms around to the beat). She always just looks at me in confusion–she remembers Rick Astley but not the videos…

I hadn’t actually seen the video in probably 15-20 years, but the dancing was just like I remembered. (If I remember, he does the same kind of dancing in the “Together Forever” video too). Anyway, thanks for posting that–

14. e cho says:

You people are really scaring me how much you liked Rick.

FWIW, my favorite scene is him in denim jeans, denim shirt, big mamma glasses, and dancing like….well, like he always dances.

15. Noel says:

I can never get over the disjoint between his voice and his looks.

16. Mrs.K. says:

Even though I was born in the 80s, and am therefore more a child of the 90s…I love 80s I’ve heard this song dozens of times, but I’ve never seen the video until now. Wow! I know what you mean…I hope for his sake, he’s not dancing anymore, either. Somehow, the bartender reminds me of someone from A Chorus Line…but, wow, Rick is just clapping and shaking and doing a great white boy job there.

I agree with Noel, though…there is a big disjoint between looks and voice….it actually surprised me that it was this song because he didn’t look capable of that voice.

17. […] Nonsense Posts that for whatever reason got responses:  Please Stop Dancing [Glad to know that we have some readers from the ’80s!]; Heroes the TV show [Who knew people […]

18. Have you seen this YouTube video where the Rickster stops colic in its tracks?

Pretty dang impressive! Now people won’t be so quick to judge his dance moves.

19. […] 80’s flashback……  the denim short (sold for $40 at the Gap and still hanging in my closet)… the […]

20. I think the greater crime is the high beltline on those jeans. but jeeez… let’s just appreciate that voice a minute. ahh. soak it in… hearing this, I feel his conviction. He WON’T give us up. It’s nice to trust in that.

21. Carrie says:

aaww no fair – for the 80’s and a white guy….he has rythem!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

The Western Wall in Old City of Jerusalem (aka The Wailing Wall) - from the Second Jewish Temple.

I'm hoping to share a few stories of people that I met (Jewish, Muslims, and Christians) in the Holy Land in the days to come. One of our Palestinian tour guides said to me, "You will leave with more questions...and that's a good thing." He was absolutely right. We want everything so nicely packaged but if we're honest, it's very rare in a broken, complex world...and I can't think of too many things more complex than the situation in Israel and Palestine.

While I certainly understand and resonate with Israel and its history and its need to protect itself from harm, one can't deny the history and existence of Palestine as well.
Is peace possible? This was the focus of my trip to the Holy learn more about the conflict and those that are working towards peace. My friend, Scott (and other pastor), Mae (our guide) and I had the privilege of going to a Jewish synagogue this past Friday. We were then hosted by a local rabbi and his family for a Shabbat meal. It was marvelous. Incredible. Illuminating. Delicious. A true honor to be invited to his home with his wife and three children. To pray, learn, share, and ask questions.
What I loved the most was the story of how Rabbi Daniel and his wife rented a bus to take 15 of their friends to the West Bank ... to see for themselves the impact of the wall and the Israeli policies. Some of their friends had never even entered the West Bank...don't personally know a Palestinian. It's impossible to work towards peace when we don't know anyone from the other side...when we don't understand the other side.

Thank you, Rabbi Daniel. Old Jerusalem. So many stories. So much history. The synagogue in Capernaum (Galilee) where Jesus began his public ministry. He taught with authority... Pray for your pastors and teachers...that they may teach with courage, conviction, humility, and ultimately, directing people to Christ - the Word made flesh.

Speaking of, so excited to be teaching at @Quest Church tomorrow. If you're in the Seattle area, join us. A glimpse of Jordan River where John baptized Jesus. "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." What amazes me most about this event is about...timing and patience. For Christ, it wasn't about "if" but about "when." In a world of supersonic pace,  impatience, quick results, hurry and now and NOW...Jesus waited for the Father's timing. He was patient and faithful. I need to learn that waiting on the Lord in itself isn't apathy but rather an act of faith. The town of Bethlehem and at the site of the cave (aka manger) of the birth of Christ.

One of the highlights was a class of Palestinian Muslims and Christian kids in a local public school singing a Christmas carol for us in Bethlehem...just across the Shepherd's Field. Galilee. Surreal to be at the mountainside where Jesus delivered "The Sermon on the Mount" ... aka The Beatitudes. Walking around praying for Paris, Beirut, Istanbul, Nigeria, Mali, Palestine/Israel... This verse is so particularly important in light of all the violence in the world. "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God." - Matthew 5:9

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,330 other followers