please stop dancing

Ok, is it bad that I can’t stop laughing?  Anyone remember Rick Astley from the 1980s?  I kinda remember and I thought he was kinda cool.  He emerged as a global sensation and star with the song, Never Gonna Give You Up, which hit #1 in the U.S. and U.K. in 1987.  I never saw the video then since MTV was banned in our family.  And then I saw this video recently on YouTube and just couldn’t stop laughing.  It just makes me smile.

The great thing thing is that Rick is still singing and touring.  But I hope he’s stopped dancing…

What’s the lesson here?  Be careful what gets recorded.  You may forever be remembered via YouTube…

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. Nick H says:

I think he’s awsome. Thanks for posting this! Next time I get on the dance floor I’m going to bust out some of these moves.

2. e cho says:

i would pay to see you dance like that.

3. Deanne says:

The most perfect part of this is the barman who, at first shot, is staring at this red-head dancing with the most perplexed look on his face. I can only imagine what he is thinking. Appropriate that its the frame frozen on this page!

4. RyanBD says:

What I’m questioning is the choice of venues – what’s with the trench coat + dark alley + “I’m never gonna give you up…never gonna say goodbye…” Stalker? The interplay between dark and light settings…could be a cry for help from the Rickster.

I can’t believe this is the first comment I’m making on this blog.

5. peggyluwho says:

I still think he’s hot.

6. januarys says:

peggy, me too! and he was by far the BEST dancer in that video…. haha

7. abarclay12 says:

He looks like if it was 1985 and Clay Aiken had joined the mafia. But the dance moves are priceless.

8. januarys says:

you act like Clay Aiken is not in the mafia… come on, am i the only one who remembers Fredo?

9. abarclay12 says:

Ha! That made me laugh out loud. You’re right. Fredo was total Clay Aiken. Good call.

10. andie ellis says:

Eugene,
    I just sent this to Rachel and Karl….I haven’t laughed like this in a long time..
    Thanks..
    andie

11. J. Michael Matkin says:

Sadly, I remember this video far too well. Thanks for the trip down amnesia lane, Eugene. Astley ranks up there with Mike Tyson in the Body and Voice Mismatch department.

12. Dan H says:

He was always a bit uncool with me because my Mom always said he was seemed like a ‘nice young man.’

13. DK says:

Eugene, you absolutely made my week. You see, I have this running joke with my wife that my one dancing move is the same as Rick Astley’s one dancing move (where he makes two fists and flails his arms around to the beat). She always just looks at me in confusion–she remembers Rick Astley but not the videos…

I hadn’t actually seen the video in probably 15-20 years, but the dancing was just like I remembered. (If I remember, he does the same kind of dancing in the “Together Forever” video too). Anyway, thanks for posting that–

14. e cho says:

You people are really scaring me how much you liked Rick.

FWIW, my favorite scene is him in denim jeans, denim shirt, big mamma glasses, and dancing like….well, like he always dances.

15. Noel says:

I can never get over the disjoint between his voice and his looks.

16. Mrs.K. says:

Even though I was born in the 80s, and am therefore more a child of the 90s…I love 80s music..so I’ve heard this song dozens of times, but I’ve never seen the video until now. Wow! I know what you mean…I hope for his sake, he’s not dancing anymore, either. Somehow, the bartender reminds me of someone from A Chorus Line…but, wow, Rick is just clapping and shaking and doing a great white boy job there.

I agree with Noel, though…there is a big disjoint between looks and voice….it actually surprised me that it was this song because he didn’t look capable of that voice.

17. [...] Nonsense Posts that for whatever reason got responses:  Please Stop Dancing [Glad to know that we have some readers from the ’80s!]; Heroes the TV show [Who knew people [...]

18. Have you seen this YouTube video where the Rickster stops colic in its tracks?

Pretty dang impressive! Now people won’t be so quick to judge his dance moves.

19. [...] 80’s flashback……  the denim short (sold for $40 at the Gap and still hanging in my closet)… the [...]

20. I think the greater crime is the high beltline on those jeans. but jeeez… let’s just appreciate that voice a minute. ahh. soak it in… hearing this, I feel his conviction. He WON’T give us up. It’s nice to trust in that.

21. Carrie says:

aaww no fair – for the 80’s and a white guy….he has rythem!

I love my church. So proud of the ways they seek to embody compassion and justice. Some of them were in downtown Seattle this week to demonstrate their solidarity with Ferguson.

I'm in the middle of a 3 month sabbatical at Quest. I'm grateful for this time of rest and rejuvenation...but I miss my church dearly. Can't wait to be back in October. There are some amazingly beautiful churches around the world. Just remember though that true worship begins when you exit the church walls and live out your faith and convictions.

#LightandSalt
#PrincetonUniversity Home, sweet home.
#seattle 17.5 Year Anniversary!
We still got it. We look gooooood!

Blessed to be back in Princeton, NJ for couple days recently. We had our wedding ceremony in Korea but got "legally" married in the US at Miller Chapel in Princeton Seminary. So, it was only fitting to go back and have my kids take our 17.5 Anniversary  pics. Someday when our kids become adults and they feel like their parents wronged them or neglected them, and they feel like they need to get counseling... I'm going to show them this picture and say, "I HAVE PROOF. WE TOOK YOU TO NYC AND BOUGHT TICKETS TO WICKED ON BROADWAY!" RIP Robin Williams.
Folks: Please go and - call or hug your loved ones. Tell them you love them. Remind them how you much appreciate them.

We need to (re)learn how to be more human. Don't avoid eye contact. Don't hide behind gadgets. Smile often - both to neighbors and strangers alike. Ask about peoples' stories. And listen.

And most importantly, remind yourself that YOU are loved. Not just merely by your loved ones but also by the ONE who created all that is good and beautiful.

• Getting on a plane. Going to recline my seat. Pray for me. || 10 hours ago
  • Breathe. Show yourself some grace. We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a cheerful heart. || 1 day ago
  • You don't need to be the "most influential" to everyone, you just need to influence the people you've been called to. || 1 day ago
  • Rather than always looking for the spectacular, we have to learn to find purpose, beauty, and meaning in the mundane and every day. || 1 day ago
  • Let's be wise. Let's be humble. Let's be careful of the hero complex where it's about us...rather than about God. - youtube.com/watch?v=s7j68b… || 2 days ago
  • The proof of God's love is that He knows everything about us - incl. our mess, brokenness, and shame - and still pursues us. This is grace. || 2 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 979 other followers