friday movies: star wars, darth vader and the inappropriate cellphone user

this week’s edition of friday [brain dead] movies is inspired by the obvious.  while many will applaud the cinematic genius of the lord of the rings trilogy [and rightfully so], my life is marked by another trilogy – STAR WARS.  i am part of the star wars generation.  most folks know that i’m a big fan of star wars which is the reason why our son is named “Jedi.” in honor of star wars fan fest currently taking place in los angeles and the 30th year anniversary of the original film’s theatrical release, this is a great video of darth vader and a friendly reminder to turn off your cellphone in public places but especially at church!

it’s shocking to think that 30 years have passed by but i specifically remember 30 years ago as i immigrated to this country in 1977 – 30 years ago.  months later, my brothers and i went to coronet theater on geary street in san francisco and was mesmerized by the film.  people literally camped out for weeks to watch the release of stars wars at that theater.  supposedly, coronet theater was one of george lucas’ favorite theaters.  this past year, i drove by the theater during our visit and noticed that the theater is no more; it is now being replaced by a seniors’ care home.

i digress.  never mind we didn’t really understand the dialogue and content of the movie but wow.  at the age of six, i couldn’t distinguish the difference between “real” and “make believe” and was devastated for weeks that i didn’t possess “the force.”

Relevant Reads:

Filed under: culture

1. worshipguitarist says:

So, you’re a big enough Star Wars geek to name your son Jedi, but not quite big enough to spell Darth Vader correctly?

2. e cho says:

oops, i guess i’m not that big of a fan. went ahead and corrected it. thanks.

3. Blake says:

Haha. That’s amazing! Yeah, I too remember being fascinated by Star Wars and spending hours and hours trying to figure out how they did the special effects for the lasers coming from the blasters. I eventually settled on them being high velocity strings of colored Play Doh. It was the only thing that made sense. I still haven’t figured out the light sabers; Play Doh is too soft… hmmm… I wonder if they just dry it out…

4. Reyes-Chow says:

FYI: The Coronet – great place for a flick – will soon be demolished to be replaced by a UCSF Senior Care facility.

5. Todd says:

so, how old are you anyways?!

6. mike says:

wow, I love your style of ministry. Even though the greater Seattle area is very cutting edge, the church is way behind the times. The thoughts that are coming out of your ministry are awesome. Mike, pastor of Oasis Seattle Church

17.5 Year Anniversary!
We still got it. We look gooooood!

Blessed to be back in Princeton, NJ for couple days recently. We had our wedding ceremony in Korea but got "legally" married in the US at Miller Chapel in Princeton Seminary. So, it was only fitting to go back and have my kids take our 17.5 Anniversary  pics. Someday when our kids become adults and they feel like their parents wronged them or neglected them, and they feel like they need to get counseling... I'm going to show them this picture and say, "I HAVE PROOF. WE TOOK YOU TO NYC AND BOUGHT TICKETS TO WICKED ON BROADWAY!" RIP Robin Williams.
Folks: Please go and - call or hug your loved ones. Tell them you love them. Remind them how you much appreciate them.

We need to (re)learn how to be more human. Don't avoid eye contact. Don't hide behind gadgets. Smile often - both to neighbors and strangers alike. Ask about peoples' stories. And listen.

And most importantly, remind yourself that YOU are loved. Not just merely by your loved ones but also by the ONE who created all that is good and beautiful. Dang. The bright lights of NYC.
Having been a youth pastor in Flushing between 1992-1994, I really miss this place.

Empire State of Mind. Smitten my NYC. There's no place like this city in the world. The Statue of Liberty. "Give me your tired, your poor..."

• I'm disgusted by ISIS but for now, I choose to remember James Foley's life and legacy. - goo.gl/KeI5LO http://t.co/ba4OkpNbu9 || 9 hours ago
  • I'm truly grateful for journalists who seek to ensure that truth is told...so that the world can never use the excuse, "We didn't know." || 9 hours ago
  • Whether it's Syria, Ferguson, or elsewhere, I'm truly grateful for journalists that put their lives on the line to ensure truth is told. || 14 hours ago
  • Utterly heartbroken for the family of James Foley. Remembering them in thought and prayers. RIP JamesFoley. http://t.co/nX5xNiskbw || 15 hours ago
  • We'll never truly move forward unless we go together. May the Church be the headlights & not taillights. Let's take reconciliation to heart. || 20 hours ago
  • I want justice - oceans of it. I want fairness - rivers of it. That’s what I want. That’s all I want. [Amos 5:24] || 1 day ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 973 other followers