an alternative to ‘the apprentice’

i managed to find a few minutes to watch ‘the apprentice: los angeles’ for the first time last night.  asides from my enjoyment of espn and dvds, i really don’t catch too much TV – even if jack bauer is everyone’s hero.  i had been wanting to catch the apprentice because of james sun, who was a member of the church i pastored in lynnwood (north suburb of seattle) from 1997-2000.  he was a college student back then and i’m very pleased for him.  i hear that james has done an exceptional job on the show and has a good possibility of being revealed as the ‘winner.’  as of last night, he’s still in the running. but…

while i understand the premise of the show and why it would be so appealing, i have another idea for a show.  seriously, who wouldn’t want to fly around on private jets, wheel and deal million dollar deals, sell gold las vegas condos, and other perks of the high life.  anyway, here’s the idea:  i’d love to see a network host a show with bill and melinda gates entitled, ‘the philanthrophist.’  as the title may allude, the premise of the show would be giving a group of folks (25 every year?) an opportunity to pitch an idea to better the world, love the hurting, feed the hungry, seek justice for the marginalized, seeking refuge for the IDPs, protecting at risk children or children of war, advocate for the ‘have nots,’ etc. – all while demonstrating a model for viability and sustainability.  every year, the first place receipient receives $1 million, 2nd place – $500,000, and 3rd place – $250,000 – to implement their dream organization.

can you imagine what fresh vision and ideas could come out of something like this?  if you know the gates or any network executive, please forward this post to them.  i seem to have misplaced the gates’ phone number.  i certainly would love to be on a show like that.  minhee and i have been wrestling a little more intensely the past couple months about starting a non-profit that would seek to make a difference – however small – in the larger world.  it’s been on our hearts for some time but for the time being, we’re asking God to expel the fear in our hearts.

if you had a million dollars, asides from buying lots of bowls of pho, how would you use it to ‘better’ the world?  what kind of non-profit org would you start?  what kind of humanitarian aid org?  where in the world would you invest?  what purpose? what are some of the organizations you love or support?

one that absolutely blows my mind is this.

Filed under: leadership

1. JT says:

I don’t have an idea but I love your reality show idea.

2. Blake says:

Great idea, PE! :-D

If I had $1 million and all the training necessary, I think I’d want to start a non-profit to share the joys of flight with inner city kids. The goal would be to show them what’s out there above the clouds and potentially inspire them to become pilots themselves–potentially for airlines. Expanding their horizons (pun intended ;-)).

3. Wayne Park says:

I would pursue results that are measurable and not just theoretical; I would favor preventative approaches rather that costly band-aid approaches. I would work to provide clean water – which is the root of most health problems and work to eradicate at least one disease.. I like what the carter center has done.. http://cartercenter.org/

4. Jennifer says:

If I had a million dollars, I would set up an organization so that anyone who needed spiritual direction (or counseling in more extreme cases) could get it – people who are in the vast majority of churches have no access to that kind of help unless they can pay for it, and there are plenty of people who cant pay, or if they can, they have no way of locating someone to help them in the first place. Most people don’t need counseling, they need a spiritual-friendship with another human being where they can work out the relationship with Christ. People look to the church for that kind of help, but it’s usually only available on a very limited scale, or is not available at all.

5. dennis says:

education for women and children.

6. Andy says:

I’d love to create a for-profit business that is self-sustaining but seeks to develop people who come from developing countries and/or challenging backgrounds to create content that is monetizable by the likes of Google, Yahoo, etc. It’s amazing what difference making $10/day vs. $1/day is in the poorest of the poor. And, with globalization and technology the opportunities now exist for the poor and marginalized to participate. It’s not that many pageviews to get there. It’s never easy, but the possibilities are there! Perhaps, teaching PE’s blogging skills is the next small business revolution.

Thank you Bend, Oregon. Loved exploring & hiking around your beautiful area. Going to bring my fishing rod next time. Sabbathing. Pouring into my soul. We can't give what we don't have. I love my church. So proud of the ways they seek to embody compassion and justice. Some of them were in downtown Seattle this week to demonstrate their solidarity with Ferguson.

I'm in the middle of a 3 month sabbatical at Quest. I'm grateful for this time of rest and rejuvenation...but I miss my church dearly. Can't wait to be back in October. There are some amazingly beautiful churches around the world. Just remember though that true worship begins when you exit the church walls and live out your faith and convictions.

#LightandSalt
#PrincetonUniversity Home, sweet home.
#seattle 17.5 Year Anniversary!
We still got it. We look gooooood!

Blessed to be back in Princeton, NJ for couple days recently. We had our wedding ceremony in Korea but got "legally" married in the US at Miller Chapel in Princeton Seminary. So, it was only fitting to go back and have my kids take our 17.5 Anniversary  pics.

• I am nothing apart from the grace of God. That is all and that is everything. || 11 hours ago
  • My father was only 6 when he fled what is now North Korea. My parents lived in such poverty. They immigrated to US for their kids. Grateful. || 11 hours ago
  • I'm grateful for my great-grandparents who were among the first to believe in Jesus. They were persecuted ... but it changed the trajectory. || 11 hours ago
  • I'm grateful for the missionaries that traveled across the world to the shores of Korea years ago. They preached & DEMONSTRATED the Gospel. || 11 hours ago
  • I'm so grateful to be alive & to have purpose. It's so humbling that God uses broken people like me, you, and us for His purposes & glory. || 11 hours ago
  • Thanks for your prayers & support. This is the week I share #OverratedBook with the world. Here's how you can help: wp.me/pT6R-30x || 11 hours ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 980 other followers