an alternative to ‘the apprentice’

i managed to find a few minutes to watch ‘the apprentice: los angeles’ for the first time last night.  asides from my enjoyment of espn and dvds, i really don’t catch too much TV – even if jack bauer is everyone’s hero.  i had been wanting to catch the apprentice because of james sun, who was a member of the church i pastored in lynnwood (north suburb of seattle) from 1997-2000.  he was a college student back then and i’m very pleased for him.  i hear that james has done an exceptional job on the show and has a good possibility of being revealed as the ‘winner.’  as of last night, he’s still in the running. but…

while i understand the premise of the show and why it would be so appealing, i have another idea for a show.  seriously, who wouldn’t want to fly around on private jets, wheel and deal million dollar deals, sell gold las vegas condos, and other perks of the high life.  anyway, here’s the idea:  i’d love to see a network host a show with bill and melinda gates entitled, ‘the philanthrophist.’  as the title may allude, the premise of the show would be giving a group of folks (25 every year?) an opportunity to pitch an idea to better the world, love the hurting, feed the hungry, seek justice for the marginalized, seeking refuge for the IDPs, protecting at risk children or children of war, advocate for the ‘have nots,’ etc. – all while demonstrating a model for viability and sustainability.  every year, the first place receipient receives $1 million, 2nd place – $500,000, and 3rd place – $250,000 – to implement their dream organization.

can you imagine what fresh vision and ideas could come out of something like this?  if you know the gates or any network executive, please forward this post to them.  i seem to have misplaced the gates’ phone number.  i certainly would love to be on a show like that.  minhee and i have been wrestling a little more intensely the past couple months about starting a non-profit that would seek to make a difference – however small – in the larger world.  it’s been on our hearts for some time but for the time being, we’re asking God to expel the fear in our hearts.

if you had a million dollars, asides from buying lots of bowls of pho, how would you use it to ‘better’ the world?  what kind of non-profit org would you start?  what kind of humanitarian aid org?  where in the world would you invest?  what purpose? what are some of the organizations you love or support?

one that absolutely blows my mind is this.

Filed under: leadership

1. JT says:

I don’t have an idea but I love your reality show idea.

2. Blake says:

Great idea, PE! :-D

If I had $1 million and all the training necessary, I think I’d want to start a non-profit to share the joys of flight with inner city kids. The goal would be to show them what’s out there above the clouds and potentially inspire them to become pilots themselves–potentially for airlines. Expanding their horizons (pun intended ;-)).

3. Wayne Park says:

I would pursue results that are measurable and not just theoretical; I would favor preventative approaches rather that costly band-aid approaches. I would work to provide clean water – which is the root of most health problems and work to eradicate at least one disease.. I like what the carter center has done.. http://cartercenter.org/

4. Jennifer says:

If I had a million dollars, I would set up an organization so that anyone who needed spiritual direction (or counseling in more extreme cases) could get it – people who are in the vast majority of churches have no access to that kind of help unless they can pay for it, and there are plenty of people who cant pay, or if they can, they have no way of locating someone to help them in the first place. Most people don’t need counseling, they need a spiritual-friendship with another human being where they can work out the relationship with Christ. People look to the church for that kind of help, but it’s usually only available on a very limited scale, or is not available at all.

5. dennis says:

education for women and children.

6. Andy says:

I’d love to create a for-profit business that is self-sustaining but seeks to develop people who come from developing countries and/or challenging backgrounds to create content that is monetizable by the likes of Google, Yahoo, etc. It’s amazing what difference making $10/day vs. $1/day is in the poorest of the poor. And, with globalization and technology the opportunities now exist for the poor and marginalized to participate. It’s not that many pageviews to get there. It’s never easy, but the possibilities are there! Perhaps, teaching PE’s blogging skills is the next small business revolution.

Attempting to be the world's greatest smartphone photographer. #kenya #africa #impala #nakuru Nakuru National Park, Kenya. Not your average neighborhood zoo. #flamingoes Kenya. Asante sana. Bwana asifiwe. So grateful for God's grace and provision. It's emotional and humbling every time we sign a check to award another grant. This is ONLY possible because of all of our generous donors and supporters.

This 19,932.90 grant is for a partnership with CREATE! ... that will train and empower 250 Sengalese women to produce and sell poultry, start their own businesses, etc.

Thank you and let's keep going!!! Share our stories. Share your day's wages. Or start your own birthday campaign.

ONEDAYSWAGES.ORG Seattle. Right now. That is all. Today is the last day of my 3 month sabbatical. That went by so fast... On the first day, our family went to Santa, Cruz, California. The first thing we did after we arrived at the San Jose airport was to go straight to In-N-Out. If these kids grow up and feel like they need counseling because their Dad didn't show them love, I'm gonna show them this picture as well and say, "I'VE GOT PROOF. I TOOK YOU TO THE BEST BURGER JOINT WITH NICE CHRISTIAN VERSES UNDER THE DRINK CUP."

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,026 other followers