prayer

Thanks to each of you for your friendship and partnership.  We live in interesting times where through the internet, certain levels of connection can take place and information can be conveyed like never before.  Perhaps, not in the most deepest level, but a certain level of ‘community’ is still possible.  I write this post to ask for prayer from the folks at Quest Church, my network of personal friends, fellow co-laborers in Seattle, and the larger community I’ve had the privilege of meeting in the past years.  Prayer is both a beautiful and mysterious gift.  It is a good thing.  I’ve also learned that it is both a personal and communal thing.  While I have no prayer cards, no prayer letter reminders, and no official prayer chain, I simply ask that as my family and I come to mind or heart, please lift up a prayer for us.

The past year has been one of the most exciting and simultaneously, the most emotionally exhausting year of ‘ministry.’  As most pastors may know, the line between ministry and personal life is simply, very nebulous.  It is what it is.  There’s ways to create boundaries but there are times those boundaries simply get thrown out the window.  Without going into much detail, it’s been gutwrenchingly painful to see people (that we love) go through intensely difficult seasons of their lives.  It has impacted the church pastors.   It has impacted my family.  It has certainly impacted me.  Please pray for wisdom, protection, and constant dependence on the Holy Spirit.  Please pray for Minhee, my family, and our health.

I also ask for prayer because the next 6 months will mark another significant season at Quest.  Within the next six months, we’ll likely conduct many meetings and forums surrounding Interbay Church  joining Quest, transition to the summer schedule, likely ‘officially’ merge the churches and experience all the excitement and bumps that come with that – culturally, logistically, and legally, go through a mini renovation project in July/August to get the current Interbay sanctuary to a place where we maximize its space and where we can continue to engage the larger city of Seattle, mentor some friends who are planting a church, and finally, get my basketball game to a level where other Questers don’t laugh me off the court.  During each ‘major transition’ at Quest, there have always been hurt feelings, misunderstandings, departures, and painful judgments.  Yummy.

The busy schedule begins this week.  I’m off to Poulsbo, Port Angeles, Anacortes, and Bellingham for a few nights to teach a class on ‘What is Culture?” as part of the Perspectives program.  My family and I are looking forward to some good rest for several weeks in August.  I’ve learned in my 16 years of ministry and 10 years of marriage, that life – marriage, ministry,  family, amongst many things — all have ebbs and flows.  There’s a time to rest; a time to play; and a time to push.  This is the season for ‘push.’

Thanks for thinking of us…

Filed under: prayer, quest church

1. Jason k says:

You and your family will always be in our prayers. God bless you and keep you strong for his Kingdom..

2. Pat says:

Tonight, and this week, I pray St. Patrick’s Breastplate for you and Quest Church. It includes this wonderful incarnational request:

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
    Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
    Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
    Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise,
    Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
    Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
    Christ in every eye that sees me,
    Christ in every ear that hears me.

Blessings – grace and peace to you.

3. Pastor Eugene,

You already have been on my mind and in my heart more in these last two months than in the last two years. May the Lord lead and guide, comfort and protect, shield and anoint you. Our family will continue praying for yours.

4. Esther says:

we will be praying for your family.

5. Blake says:

You’re covered, P.E. Thanks for being so vulnerable.

6. Peter Choi Jr. says:

wow. 16 years. keep pressing on, brother. prayers for you and your family.

7. e cho says:

Thanks folks for your prayers and your continual prayers.

8. Wayne Park says:

yes indeed, it is a season for “push” – I feel you on that one.

Invest in your soul.
Read the Scriptures.
Pray & listen.
Embrace silence.
Go for a walk.
Laugh with friends.
Enjoy a good book.
Soak in God's creation.

#NatureIsMyLoveLanguage Final sunset.

Aloha. Mahalo. Hana hou. Ohana.

Thank you, Kona, the Whitlocks, YWAM, sea turtles, Nemo, Restorers DTS, and Scandinavian Shaved Ice. Our three children.

One will be heading off to college in one year. The 2nd in three years. In six years, Minhee and I will be empty nesters. As a young parent, my prayers for them often surrounded their purpose in life. While I still ponder those things, there are three things that I most pray for:

1. That they may love Christ and obey Christ. Not just the idea but to actually follow Christ and thus, to love people.

2. To hold God's Word - the Holy Scriptures - dear and near to their hearts.

3. To love one another and be there for one another for life. To be loyal to one another. To protect one another. To never allow pettiness, conflicts, jealousy,  money, or whatever to get between them in the future. Ever.
May it be so. Amen. Kona sunset. #nofilter

Perhaps from the outside...things look great but this has been one of the most challenging years of our life. The most painful has involved one of our kids who've had to endure through a lifelong chronic illness. This year, we've gone to the hospital 3-4 times/week trying to get her better. Ups and downs. Emotional roller coaster. Parents will understand this but nothing hurts more than a sick child...especially when you can't "fix" the situation. We were praying that our trip to Hawaii would be a balm for her soul...but it has been hard. Really hard. Lots of tears hard. But soaking in this sunset with our kids is something we don't want to take for granted.

We continue to pray and hope. Hope is not that God promises us perfection or everything we want but that in all situations...God is with us. Believing - while faltering - in this truth for our child. My Hawaiian Seattle Korean queen. #kona @minheejcho A family that hikes together stays together. #kona #pololuvalley

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,253 other followers