prayer

Thanks to each of you for your friendship and partnership.  We live in interesting times where through the internet, certain levels of connection can take place and information can be conveyed like never before.  Perhaps, not in the most deepest level, but a certain level of ‘community’ is still possible.  I write this post to ask for prayer from the folks at Quest Church, my network of personal friends, fellow co-laborers in Seattle, and the larger community I’ve had the privilege of meeting in the past years.  Prayer is both a beautiful and mysterious gift.  It is a good thing.  I’ve also learned that it is both a personal and communal thing.  While I have no prayer cards, no prayer letter reminders, and no official prayer chain, I simply ask that as my family and I come to mind or heart, please lift up a prayer for us.

The past year has been one of the most exciting and simultaneously, the most emotionally exhausting year of ‘ministry.’  As most pastors may know, the line between ministry and personal life is simply, very nebulous.  It is what it is.  There’s ways to create boundaries but there are times those boundaries simply get thrown out the window.  Without going into much detail, it’s been gutwrenchingly painful to see people (that we love) go through intensely difficult seasons of their lives.  It has impacted the church pastors.   It has impacted my family.  It has certainly impacted me.  Please pray for wisdom, protection, and constant dependence on the Holy Spirit.  Please pray for Minhee, my family, and our health.

I also ask for prayer because the next 6 months will mark another significant season at Quest.  Within the next six months, we’ll likely conduct many meetings and forums surrounding Interbay Church  joining Quest, transition to the summer schedule, likely ‘officially’ merge the churches and experience all the excitement and bumps that come with that – culturally, logistically, and legally, go through a mini renovation project in July/August to get the current Interbay sanctuary to a place where we maximize its space and where we can continue to engage the larger city of Seattle, mentor some friends who are planting a church, and finally, get my basketball game to a level where other Questers don’t laugh me off the court.  During each ‘major transition’ at Quest, there have always been hurt feelings, misunderstandings, departures, and painful judgments.  Yummy.

The busy schedule begins this week.  I’m off to Poulsbo, Port Angeles, Anacortes, and Bellingham for a few nights to teach a class on ‘What is Culture?” as part of the Perspectives program.  My family and I are looking forward to some good rest for several weeks in August.  I’ve learned in my 16 years of ministry and 10 years of marriage, that life – marriage, ministry,  family, amongst many things — all have ebbs and flows.  There’s a time to rest; a time to play; and a time to push.  This is the season for ‘push.’

Thanks for thinking of us…

Filed under: prayer, quest church

1. Jason k says:

You and your family will always be in our prayers. God bless you and keep you strong for his Kingdom..

2. Pat says:

Tonight, and this week, I pray St. Patrick’s Breastplate for you and Quest Church. It includes this wonderful incarnational request:

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
    Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
    Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
    Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise,
    Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
    Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
    Christ in every eye that sees me,
    Christ in every ear that hears me.

Blessings – grace and peace to you.

3. Pastor Eugene,

You already have been on my mind and in my heart more in these last two months than in the last two years. May the Lord lead and guide, comfort and protect, shield and anoint you. Our family will continue praying for yours.

4. Esther says:

we will be praying for your family.

5. Blake says:

You’re covered, P.E. Thanks for being so vulnerable.

6. Peter Choi Jr. says:

wow. 16 years. keep pressing on, brother. prayers for you and your family.

7. e cho says:

Thanks folks for your prayers and your continual prayers.

8. Wayne Park says:

yes indeed, it is a season for “push” – I feel you on that one.

I love my church. So proud of the ways they seek to embody compassion and justice. Some of them were in downtown Seattle this week to demonstrate their solidarity with Ferguson.

I'm in the middle of a 3 month sabbatical at Quest. I'm grateful for this time of rest and rejuvenation...but I miss my church dearly. Can't wait to be back in October. There are some amazingly beautiful churches around the world. Just remember though that true worship begins when you exit the church walls and live out your faith and convictions.

#LightandSalt
#PrincetonUniversity Home, sweet home.
#seattle 17.5 Year Anniversary!
We still got it. We look gooooood!

Blessed to be back in Princeton, NJ for couple days recently. We had our wedding ceremony in Korea but got "legally" married in the US at Miller Chapel in Princeton Seminary. So, it was only fitting to go back and have my kids take our 17.5 Anniversary  pics. Someday when our kids become adults and they feel like their parents wronged them or neglected them, and they feel like they need to get counseling... I'm going to show them this picture and say, "I HAVE PROOF. WE TOOK YOU TO NYC AND BOUGHT TICKETS TO WICKED ON BROADWAY!" RIP Robin Williams.
Folks: Please go and - call or hug your loved ones. Tell them you love them. Remind them how you much appreciate them.

We need to (re)learn how to be more human. Don't avoid eye contact. Don't hide behind gadgets. Smile often - both to neighbors and strangers alike. Ask about peoples' stories. And listen.

And most importantly, remind yourself that YOU are loved. Not just merely by your loved ones but also by the ONE who created all that is good and beautiful.

• Let's be wise. Let's be humble. Let's be careful of the hero complex where it's about us...rather than about God. - youtube.com/watch?v=s7j68b… || 47 minutes ago
  • The proof of God's love is that He knows everything about us - incl. our mess, brokenness, and shame - and still pursues us. This is grace. || 4 hours ago
  • RT @NaomiLizBlog: "Our contentment comes from a life of gratitude and generosity." Review of #overratedbook by @Eugenecho @David_C_Cook htt… || 4 hours ago
  • A wise person prays, "God, how can I be a part of what YOU'RE doing?" rather than, "God, be part of what I'm doing." youtube.com/watch?v=s7j68b… || 9 hours ago
  • Rest. Reflect. Rejuvenate. Remember, it's a marathon and not a sprint. Let's keep running this race for the glory of Christ. || 22 hours ago
  • Everyone needs a season of rest. Just make sure the season doesn't turn into years. Or that rest becomes complacency or worse, to apathy. || 1 day ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 978 other followers